Moving countries during the tax year

Chrissie

Having moved back to the UK during March 2019, I am now faced with doing the 2019 tax return. During my “final” visit to the local tax office, I was told I would have to complete two returns, one for the pre-move period and one for the rest of the year. I wasn’t too worried, thinking that I would come back to France and go to the tax office in person. Now, of course, that is not possible. Has anyone managed to go through the same process, either online or by paper return?

Thanks in advance

Chrissie

When you say 'local' what do you mean?

You only need to fill in a tax form in France for those three months, and then one in the UK from April and if it is for self assessment, then you need to register and do it on line by January 2021. I never leave ours to the last minute though, if I need help the phone lines are far too busy towards the end.

I don't think you have to do a declaration for 2018/2019 unless you are rich as you income for one month will probably less than the annual allowance.

We moved back on the last day of February and I called HMRC and they said not to bother for  a month's income, but did note the call.

Re the french tax office, if you usually do it online, then do it online. If you don't then why don't you email the french tax office in France and ask them to send a paper return to you in the UK.

Not a bad time to leave France, March, as I doubt you will be liable to pay tax in France for those  three months.

[quote user="idun"] ................ Re the french tax office, if you usually do it online, then do it online. If you don't then why don't you email the french tax office in France and ask them to send a paper return to you in the UK. ........................................... [/quote]

If you have to make a paper return you can download and print the forms you need from the impots web site.

Do you have income in France since you moved?

If you do, you'd have to declare that income as a non resident so yes, on a different form sent to the Service des impôts des particuliers non-résidents (SIPNR).

If you had no taxable income in France and you're now resident in the UK, you fill in your income declaration as a resident between 1.1.19 and the date you left and the address you are now living at, and after that you don't have to fill in any more French tax forms.

Thanks everyone. No, we have had no income in France since we moved and so hopefully I have misunderstood about the two different declarations. Will do as everyone suggests and fill out the numbers for the first three months and will write appropriate comments in the "any other info" box. They already have our UK address and I have done the declarations online for years.

The UK tax situation is clear ( and yes, the removal date of 31st March was chosen for obvious reasons!)

Right, time to sort out the numbers and sit at the computer with a damp towel wrapped round my head..... :)

Chrissie

nomoss quoted idun" ................ Re the french tax office, if you usually do it online, then do it online. If you don't then why don't you email the french tax office in France and ask them to send a paper return to you in the UK. ........................................... "

nomoss wrote: If you have to make a paper return you can download and print the forms you need from the impots web site

The basic cerfa 2042K form is not yet available online. Only the supplementary forms. They are saving paper by only sending out the 2042K to those who completed a paper form last year. For everyone who completed their tax online they are not sending out forms.

However, it is possible 2042K may be online from the beginning of May.

If you declare online there is a screen where you declare a change of address since 1st Jan (because you start by declaring the address where you lived on 1st Jan). I guess you need to find the equivalent box on the paper form. It's important to fill that in.

Still trying to get money from the dead. My dads email account had an email from some fella called DARMANIN. There will be no paper tax returns this year unless you contact the tax office and specifically ask for them.

"Pour déclarer vos revenus, rendez-vous sur impots.gouv.fr.

Important : vous ne recevrez pas de déclaration papier cette année. Toutefois, si vous n'êtes pas en capacité de déclarer en ligne, vous pouvez encore utiliser une déclaration papier en téléphonant à votre service des impôts des particuliers."

Needless to say my dad won't be filling one in online or otherwise.

[quote user="pomme"]nomoss quoted idun" ................ Re the french tax office, if you usually do it online, then do it online. If you don't then why don't you email the french tax office in France and ask them to send a paper return to you in the UK. ........................................... "

nomoss wrote: If you have to make a paper return you can download and print the forms you need from the impots web site

The basic cerfa 2042K form is not yet available online. Only the supplementary forms. They are saving paper by only sending out the 2042K to those who completed a paper form last year. For everyone who completed their tax online they are not sending out forms.

However, it is possible 2042K may be online from the beginning of May.[/quote]

From a circular email just received from DGFP:

☞ Pour déclarer vos revenus,

rendez-vous sur impots.gouv.fr.

Important : vous ne recevrez pas

de déclaration papier cette année. Toutefois, si vous n'êtes pas en capacité de

déclarer en ligne
, vous pouvez encore utiliser une déclaration papier en

téléphonant à votre service des impôts des particuliers.