Private Pensions Declaration

David

Due to being hospitalised when on holiday in the UK, and then recovering there before being fit to travel (a three day drive from Weymouth to Port Leucate), I exceeded my UK allowance, so unfortunately I am now taxed in both UK and France.

I have one private pension which has been taxed in UK, but I cannot find out where to declare it in the French on-line forms, and would be gratefull for some guidance.

Thanks in anticipation.

David

Have you taken into account the dates ? I am starting to wonder if this is not going to get very very complicated.

IF you paid this in 2019 then it would need to be declared on this french form. IF paid in 2020, then next year.

You say that you have exceeded the tax allowance, but it isn't just about that. So, those dates are important.

Being in the UK over six months could also affect this, but  would this be in one tax year.

Frankly I would call HMRC and tell them your situation and see what they say. Might have a long wait, but I think you need information about your residency.

Thanks for that Idun.  You are correct, it is very complicated and I am not sure if I understand it.  I discussed this with a UK acountant who then discussed it with HMRC, and it seems that I overstayed my number of days in UK (I  was quite ill).  I thought I was in the medically allowed days, but HMRC did not accept this and said that I was not sufficiently ill, and that I could have left the UK even if it was only to a French channel port!

It seems that I am now taxed as a dual resident, and it will take some years to extract myself from UK tax.  I was told that under the double tax agreement I would not pay much more tax than normal, but that it would be split between France and UK.

The pension payments from which HMRC have deducted tax were all received in 2019, and need to be declared in France under the double taxation agreement.  I am just not sure which boxes to declare it in.

Thanks for your kind assistance.

How will this affect your S1? I take it you have one.

This should only affect you for one year though, surely? I would not put up with this for any longer than that. 

Also, I would go into your Mairie all apologetic and say that you have a problem and can they help you. And hopefully they will help and then I would be sending confirmation from the Mairie stating that you are a full time resident in their commune.

It looks as though you declare it in the second part of Section 7 on 2047 REVENUS IMPOSABLES OUVRANT DROIT À UN CRÉDIT D’IMPÔT ÉGAL À L’IMPÔT ÉTRANGER and put Pension under the heading AUTRES REVENUS and the figures are then transferred back to 8VM etc on 2042.

From p324 of the full 2020 tax booklet

Revenus autres que les revenus de valeurs mobilières

Le crédit d’impôt est égal au montant de l’impôt effectivement prélevé à l’étranger dans la limite fixée par la convention. Le revenu brut imposable en France est constitué du revenu de source étrangère sans déduction de l'impôt étranger. Le crédit d'impôt est imputé sur l’impôt français dans la limite du montant de l’impôt français calculé à raison de ce revenu.

Après avoir déclaré ces revenus sur la 2047 et complété le cadre 7, vous devez les reporter dans la case correspondante de la 2042 .

Vous devez en outre reporter le montant des crédits d'impôt représentatifs de l'impôt acquitté à l'étranger ligne 8VM, 8WM ou 8UM de la 2042 .