Murdoch Empire's new low

NormanH

• Replies 161
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[quote user="Mr Coeur de Lion"]brianagain, i don't think you are a cynic at all.

http://webwhois.nic.uk/cgi-bin/whois.cgi?query=thesunonsunday.co.uk

The Sun on Sunday domain name was registered on 5 July 2011.[/quote]

By whom? It could be a sharp cookie who is now squatting (ewww) on a potentially desirable domain name... unless your research has informed you otherwise. But I do agree that the Sun will go Sunday Sun.

The NotW is dead! Hurrah!

Except that... no doubt the senior management of the newspaper and the Murdoch corporation will come out of this relatively unaffected whereas the "ordinary" staff of the paper who had nothing to do with the ugly, unacceptable behaviour of the investigative arm of the newspaper lose their jobs as part of the damage limitation exercise. Poor sods.

[quote user="DerekJ"][quote user="Rabbie"][quote user="Dog"]Let's face it if you are silly enough to use a mobile phone (an insecure one at that) why shouldn't people acess it? If the journo had found the killer he would now be a hero.[/quote]That is no excuse for deleting the Voicemail messages on Milly Dowler's phone and giving her family false hope at a time of great stress and worry for them[/quote]

So Dog... you don't condemn these phone hacks. Is that correct? You think it's all perfectly acceptable?  If that's the case I presume you feel the same about the breaking news of the 7/7 bombing hacking?

Or is this just a bit of trolling on your part?
[/quote] I would prefer a journo to have accessed the phone and it being in the 'free world' than the UK government and CIA that have accesss to all emails and phone messages. Wake up if you use insecure methods to message you will be listened to our read.

[quote user="Quillan"]

[quote user="DerekJ"][quote user="Rabbie"][quote user="Dog"]Let's face it if you are silly enough to use a mobile phone (an insecure one at that) why shouldn't people acess it? If the journo had found the killer he would now be a hero.[/quote]That is no excuse for deleting the Voicemail messages on Milly Dowler's phone and giving her family false hope at a time of great stress and worry for them[/quote]

So Dog... you don't condemn these phone hacks. Is that correct? You think it's all perfectly acceptable?  If that's the case I presume you feel the same about the breaking news of the 7/7 bombing hacking?

Or is this just a bit of trolling on your part?
[/quote]

Possibly because he was one of them working in 'the print' as he has mentioned more than once. [;-)]

[/quote] I wouldn't expect any other comment from Q. I find it tedious but not unexpected that Q repeats this slur. I have never used the phrase 'in the print' to describe my work. I am a qualified printer. I have never worked at a newspaper.

I always thought all printers, be they qualified or not, worked 'in the print'. How can you be a qualified printer and not work 'in the print'? My old neighbour worked 'in the print' at Bradbury and Wilkinson where they printed bank notes amongst other things, mind you he only swept the floors but he was very proud and always said when asked what he did that he worked 'in the print'.

[quote user="sweet 17"]

Say nothing, Dog.

I am a print enthusiast BTW.  Used to have an Adana machine....you know, the one where you have to set the type, ink it and then press it down carefully....[:D]

[/quote]

Sweet - you must be a glutton for punishment! I know what an Adana is I nearly got expelled from school aged thirteen for printing thousands of stickers (we found on a tip) with any message wanted at two shillings a hundred on a lousy Adana.

I was making serious money until the entire school was being plastered in stickers and it came to a head when a teachers VW Beetle was covered in stickers. Sadly the stickers were not very complementary about him and the glue was stronger than the paint on his VDub and when he tried to remove them they took off his paintwork - oops!

The teachers worked out I was involved and I got dragged to the Head Masters office where he told me you didn't come to school to make money. I told him that I thought that was the purpose of school.

Please do not tell  anyone I am a qualified compositor, letterpress & litho printer and a typographer. But to make serious money I have worked in design,  repro, proofing,  platemaking, binding, cutting & creasing and everything to do with producing books from draft to bookshop. I find if you cannot do it yourself how can you employ and tell others what to do.

Stay mum....

[quote user="Quillan"]I always thought all printers, be they qualified or not, worked 'in the print'. How can you be a qualified printer and not work 'in the print'? My old neighbour worked 'in the print' at Bradbury and Wilkinson where they printed bank notes amongst other things, mind you he only swept the floors but he was very proud and always said when asked what he did that he worked 'in the print'.[/quote]

You must be right - It may be true 'sweeper uppers' use this terminology. I have never met a printer who used this term, perhaps you will recall that I told you this many moons ago.

I can only suppose your neighbour was impressed when you told him you were 'in the masons'.

[quote user="Dog"]

Please do not tell  anyone I am a qualified compositor, letterpress & litho printer and a typographer. But to make serious money I have worked in design,  repro, proofing,  platemaking, binding, cutting & creasing and everything to do with producing books from draft to bookshop. I find if you cannot do it yourself how can you employ and tell others what to do.

Stay mum....

[/quote]I wonder what Dog used to do? What qualifications does he have? Really must get my phone hacking gear targetted on him[:D]

Oh, Dog, you are a very lucky man to have done all those things.

I was only an enthusiast and it would take me hours to set up one single sheet of type, but I did learn to read the "mirror image" of words and used to have fun deliberately reading notices like that so that the meanings were all garbled but were some times humorous.

Imagine out amazement back then if we saw a computer that could manipulate words and images just by pressing buttons!  Makes me feel like a dinosaur just talking about this....[:D]

[quote user="Rabbie"][quote user="Dog"]

Stay mum....

[/quote]I wonder what Dog used to do? What qualifications does he have? Really must get my phone hacking gear targetted on him[:D][/quote]

You'd be wasting your time I have never had a mobile phone and never will.

[quote user="sweet 17"]

Oh, Dog, you are a very lucky man to have done all those things.

I was only an enthusiast and it would take me hours to set up one single sheet of type, but I did learn to read the "mirror image" of words and used to have fun deliberately reading notices like that so that the meanings were all garbled but were some times humorous.

Imagine out amazement back then if we saw a computer that could manipulate words and images just by pressing buttons!  Makes me feel like a dinosaur just talking about this....[:D]

[/quote]

I am glad you enjoyed hand setting and letterpress. Sadly I had to sell my collection of metal and woodtype before escaping UK.

There is a growing band of people in UK that enjoy letterpress as a hobby. A friend of mine that cannot be described as a hobbyist is a superb professional wood engraver and uses a three hundred year old press to print his fine art.

It is very useful being able to read upside down and back to front especailly when meeting such as the bank manager and reading everything on his desk without him realising.

Computers are not the be all and end all, there are plenty of things they cannot do and lots they don't do well.

What happened to your Adana? My 1956 Heidelberg Platen is still wheezing away at the company I sold.

Interesting that NormanH.

I caught the end of Radio Fours's morning prgramme just before 9.00am. The gyst of the discussion, I think with a media lawyer, was that if Newscorp was deemed "unfit" to proceed with it's purchase of the 61% of BSkyB that it doesn't already own, then by extension it becomes "unfit" to have the 39% that it already owns.

Interesting days to come. Clegg's urging for the bid to be dropped may be a way out for Newscorp without being put to the "fitness" test