Murdoch Empire's new low

NormanH

• Replies 161
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't think that you had to go to the New York Times to find this story!

Milly Dowler's family had to suffer the "defence" of their daughter's killer at his trial. Now they have this to deal with.

What concerns me is that News International is expected to be given permission to buy the 61% of BSkyB that it doesn't already own, and that British politicians like to "get close" to Rupert Murdoch.

Edited for accuracy.

[quote user="Clarkkent"]

I don't think that you had to go to the New York Times to find this story!

Milly Dowler's family had to suffer the "defence" of their daughter's killer at his trial. Now they have this to deal with.

What concerns me is that News International is expected to be given permission to buy the two thirds of Sky that it doesn't already own, and that British politicians like to "get close" to Rupert Murdoch.

[/quote]

True, but I find it a particularly good newspaper with a real world view (see http://www.nytimes.com/pages/world/index.html)

as opposed to the navel gazing of the French media and the increasing triviality of even 'serious' papers in the UK which seem more and more obsessed with football and 'personalities' with no personality.

I can't believe this is just one paper in his 'stable', I think there is a lot more to come out of this. Ford, the car maker, has dropped it's advertising with them and Tesco is considering if it should follow. I do not think News International should have such a big hold on the UK news media and rather than allow it to buy more it should be forced to sell off at least half.

[quote user="Dog"]Let's face it if you are silly enough to use a mobile phone (an insecure one at that) why shouldn't people acess it? If the journo had found the killer he would now be a hero.[/quote]That is no excuse for deleting the Voicemail messages on Milly Dowler's phone and giving her family false hope at a time of great stress and worry for them

[quote user="Rabbie"][quote user="Dog"]Let's face it if you are silly enough to use a mobile phone (an insecure one at that) why shouldn't people acess it? If the journo had found the killer he would now be a hero.[/quote]That is no excuse for deleting the Voicemail messages on Milly Dowler's phone and giving her family false hope at a time of great stress and worry for them[/quote]

So Dog... you don't condemn these phone hacks. Is that correct? You think it's all perfectly acceptable?  If that's the case I presume you feel the same about the breaking news of the 7/7 bombing hacking?

Or is this just a bit of trolling on your part?

It's hard to pretend we live in a democracy when the organs of Citizen Rupert are so influential. Should this 'phone business destroy his company's credibility and his dirty little rags then I shall shed not one tear.

This is one of the most contemptibly cynical journalistic wheezes imaginable. Maybe this house of cards will, at last, fall.

[quote user="DerekJ"][quote user="Rabbie"][quote user="Dog"]Let's face it if you are silly enough to use a mobile phone (an insecure one at that) why shouldn't people acess it? If the journo had found the killer he would now be a hero.[/quote]That is no excuse for deleting the Voicemail messages on Milly Dowler's phone and giving her family false hope at a time of great stress and worry for them[/quote]

So Dog... you don't condemn these phone hacks. Is that correct? You think it's all perfectly acceptable?  If that's the case I presume you feel the same about the breaking news of the 7/7 bombing hacking?

Or is this just a bit of trolling on your part?
[/quote]

Possibly because he was one of them working in 'the print' as he has mentioned more than once. [;-)]

I just wondered what Murdoch owns so did a google and found News International on Wiki http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/News_Corporation I didn't realise they where quite that big. It's also interesting who they have given financial support to over the years. Having read all that I am even more convinced that News Corporation/International should be broken up. It reminds me of that James Bond film where the media chap tried to dominate the world, perhaps the film was somewhat 'toungue in cheek' and the character modelled on Murdoch?

Should this 'phone business destroy his company's credibility and his dirty little rags then I shall shed not one tear

Yesterdays revelations are bad enough, todays worse, his company's credibility is  pretty much destroyed

More from Norman Smith here

Frankly, I'd boycott his papers, but I don't read them anyway...

The N of the W was first published 1 Oct. 1843. The cheapest newspaper available, it was aimed at the newly -literate "working classes." Became known as the purveyor of titillation, shock and criminal news.

There will always be a demand for this kind of reading material, even under another name.

What is more shocking is that top politicians allow themselves to be associated with such rubbish, even if indirectly.

"What the proprietorship of these papers is aiming at is power,

and power without responsibility is the prerogative of the harlot through the ages."

Stanley Baldwin, 1st Earl Baldwin of Bewdley (1867-1947)

It would seem that Rupert Murdoch has now learned that with power comes accountability.

I am reminded of Shelley's poem Ozymandias.

... Or am I being too melodramatic?