Amy Winehouse

Clair

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[quote user="nectarine"]what a terrible waste of a talent ... surely a warning to others about how dangerous illegal drugs really are.[/quote]

I suspect that rather more die from legal drugs e.g. nicotine and alcohol than from illegal ones.

As for AW, it was her choice to waste her talent.

John

[quote user="nectarine"]what a terrible waste of a talent ... surely a warning to others about how dangerous illegal drugs really are.[/quote]

Initial reports indicate Vodka as the legal intoxicant that was favoured and perhaps led to her demise.

Somehow I could never envision her as an old lady with all thatthose tattoos.

[quote user="idun"]

Kurt Cobain, Jimi Hendrix, Jim Morrison, Janis Joplin all died at the age of 27 too. These people certainly made their mark, were iconic in their short lives. And now AW joins this list.

[/quote]

I do not wish to speak ill of the dead but would you really put in this group? It's a bit like likening Gazza and Beckham to Best or Pele.

Also Brian Jones to add to that list.

Of the list IMO she had the best voice and her style of music is not something I would usually listen to. In fact I would not listen to most of those on the list usually. She made her mark as they all did.

Firstly that isn't true - of course people care - you have heard of Wootten Bassett haven't you ? Thats just one demonstration of caring, secondly soldiers sign up for a job/career that carries a great risk of death or injury. Pop /music stars are supposed to entertain, not lose their lives !!

My feeling is that AW could have matured into a really good singer in the mold of Aretha Franklin maybe or similar....as it is she is not leaving much of a back catalogue.

Tony Bennett said he recorded with her - I've not heard that, but it could be interesting.

The singer of that generation I really like is Adele ....also there is a girl who maybe Irish, quite 50s / 60's style of dress, dark hair, can't think of her name.... 

Spot on, RH. For my money, Amy Winehouse was one of the most individual female soloists I've heard for a long time.  An amazing voice and a huge potential that sadly she will never now fulfil.  What a waste of a young life.

[quote user="Russethouse"]

Pop /music stars are supposed to entertain, not lose their lives !!

[/quote]

She didn't loose it, she threw it away.  I really didn't like the way she glamorised substance abuse, or maybe it was the media that did that?  Either way, the lessons that should be learned will undoubtedly not be.

I lost an ex work mate to an overdose at a similar age (I wouldn't say we were friends exactly).  I remember thinking on the way home from his funeral "that was a hell of a price to pay for what ultimately amounts to a single stupid mistake many years ago".