Got yours yet?

Lehaut

What a nice surprise, logged onto our bank account expecting it to be low after our biking holiday to find it was not. Those nice people at the French Tax office had credited the account with a health amount of Euros. Not quite sure why, my military pension is taxed in the UK, not sure I actually pay any actual "tax" in France, but a welcome sight anyway.

How odd, the last time we had a lump paid to us by les impots, just after we had left France, they insisted that they owed us. THEY DID NOT!

I called on numerous occasions and sometimes they got a bit 'off' with me, insisting that they owed us, and  I wrote too....... I still do not understand it, but there you go.

I kept that money in the account for several years and then spent it. 

They calculate how much you would have paid in France if all had been taxed here, and since French income tax is lower than UK tax they reimburse  some of the difference (this includes giving credit for 50% of anything paid under the CESU scheme)

In the past  they didnt actually pay out, they just didn't take any tax, but for the last couple of years they actually pay out..

This is a bit vague as I haven't got the details to hand but it is right in general principle

If you have ever employed someone under the Cesu scheme,they seem to assume that you will keep on employing them!

Last year, for example, I didn't employ anybody on Cesu but they actually gave me some money towards this year's employment!  I was flabberghasted......

Forunately, I did find a gardener (a very good one too) this year, so I wouldn't have to pay any money back[:)]

Strange how you fret and get annoyed if they owe you (eg for social charges in the past) and complain about that but, if you had to pay something back to which you were not entitled anyway, you also don't much like it!  Nowt so queer as folk?

The only thing I was annoyed about was them not taking it back, we most certainly owed it, we really did.

In the end I just put it down to the orgueil of the fonctionnaires not wanting to admit they were at fault.

It was, for us at least, a substantial sum, about 650€'s.

Thanks NormanH. Did wonder if that was the case. They have sight of the full income, plus what the UK tax man takes off. If it was paid direct in France, don't think I would pay any income tax at all on it, so every little helps.

No CESU involved.