Do remoskas need pre-heating?

mint

Got my new toy and cooked a quiche in it yesterday.  I realised that the bottom will probably not be crispy as the heating element is in the lid of the remoska.

Old habits die hard, I guess, so I preheated it for about 10 minutes but then found it quite tricky to get the quiche in the limited space without spilling the contents.

As expected, the bottom wasn't crispy but the taste was very good and it still beat using the commercial sized oven that I am stuck with until the kitchen restyling jobbo sometime when funds permit.

Now the weather's turned cold and dreary (at least it is really mauvais today), I plan to cook a tartiflette for lunch tomorrow.

Any suggestions of things to cook very welcome.

Thank you!

Hope you use yours and enjoy yours as much as I do our two!

I can't find my Remoska booklet, but I'm sure it says not to pre-heat.

I cook things like roast or baked potatoes, salmon with ginger and other fish dishes, roasted vegetables. They all go in from cold. I can't think of other things at the moment - my head is still all flu-ey! I haven't done a quiche in mine - I must try it!

[quote user="sweet 17"]

602, many, many thanks for the link.  Now added to my favourites [:)]

Poor GG, do you have the flu vaccine? 

You're right about the pre-heating:  NOT necessary, if anyone else is also wondering!

[/quote]

Unfortunately I was ill in France before coming back for a fortnight to England, when the flu jab was booked for. With that and bronchitis I haven't been fit enough to have it. We've cancelled our return to France till 2012 - by which time I should have had the jab and be on form - if I survive all the Christmas stuff!  [:)]

Poor GG....it's rotten but I suppose to be expected at this time of year.

Try not to go into too many crowded shops and get plenty of rest and relaxation.

Next year, when you are in France, you might want to just buy a dose at the chemist, in good time, and just give it to yourself.

Every year, I'm asking by about October whether it's arrived.  Having the jab has meant only mild indisposition as opposed to weeks of feeling at death's door.

[quote user="sweet 17"]  really mauvais today), I plan to cook a tartiflette for lunch tomorrow.

Any suggestions of things to cook very welcome.

[/quote]

On such a grey day I'd suggest the Duck Breast, Chinese style with Pineapple with Wholemeal walnut bread

followed by Chocolate and Walnut Cake (cue Rose)

but actually home made carrot soup[:P]

Can't have the pineapple any more but the chinese style duck sounds lovely. The bread though, don't the flavours clash, I cannot imagine it at all.

I could eat that cake after any meal though and the bread would go with the carrot soup.

As you know, id, I have this oven that I can't get on with.  I assure you it's nearly as bad as having a husband with whom you can't hack it (I know, I had one of those![:'(])

After my good friend, JJ, brought me tubs of ceramic beads, I started blind baking all quiche cases.  We had a great long thread here about whether to blind bake or not to blind bake.  There were lots of suggestions from lots of posters and Gengulphus suggested using a bake stone under the quiche.

So, to cut a long story short, I was blind baking and indeed eventually managed to get quiches with lovely crispy bottoms and tops not burnt because that was the other problem, you see:  if the thing was cooked through, the tops were getting burnt.

Then, I went through a phase of letting the pastry overhang the case and then trimming it off AFTER the quiche was cooked.  Now, that did look very good.

Then, I moved house and I end up with this less than satisfactory oven.

Just an astuce if you do  blind bake and that is paint the bottom of the case with something.  I brush over some of the egg that is going into the filling and, sometimes, as per 5-element's suggestion, I paint the case with strong Dijon mustard.  Both these methods will help to ensure crispiness.

Still, if I'm going to cook quiches in the remoska, I will just have to accept soggy bottoms.  They taste a bit like shop-bought on account of the soggy bottoms but, provided the filling is a good one, they're so delicious that I can overlook the soggy pastry.

If you do blind bake, please come back and let me know if you think it's worth the extra effort.

Edit:  I see that RH posted whilst I was writing the above.  And yes, she did suggest a pre-heated baking sheet on that previous thread and I think she (or it could be someone else) also said to chill the pastry well in its case before baking.

Wools, I put the ingredients in a quiche tin (loose bottom) and sit that on the remoska rack (low position, not near the top) and then it's dead easy.  Lift rack, put quiche in tin on an inverted bowl and, when cool enough, press side of tin down and out comes the quiche.

lift the baking tin out?

I blind bake, tarts but not pies.

I have tried and tried to find a baking stone and cannot. Tried all the big dept stores and Lakeland and the tinternet and nothing that appears to be what I am looking for. Or maybe I'm not looking for the right thing?

I have a gas oven now and am getting very very angry with it. It's fine for yorkhire puds and roasties and roasts, even gratin dauphinois, but my baking, well I have a reputation and  my standards are not being met, it is not good. Cannot compare husbands to cookers as I have only had one. One husband, but many cookers.

[quote user="sweet 17"]Gengulphus suggested using a bake stone under the quiche.[/quote]

How peculiar  -  I thought my ears were burning. 

Perhaps you ought simply to accept that quiches are just not your thing.  I cannot do omelettes, and do not torment myself by continually attempting the impossible  -  save under rare and private circumstances. 

Branch out a little bit.  What about soufflés ?  I cook these on a brick too, with great success.

Did I overhear that you were going to move again ?  

[quote user="sweet 17"]anyway, when you already live in paradise, where else is there to go?[/quote]

But that's where I live.  And I haven't spotted you…

What on earth do you mean ' haven't finished this move yet ! ' ?   You can't still be en route, surely ? 

And if there are still boxes which you haven't unpacked, throw them away   -  they can't be important if you haven't needed them.

[quote user="sweet 17"]I won't have to eat soggy pastry.[/quote]

If you are still worried about your soggy bottom, I do have a spare steel bake-stone, and increasingly feel that I will have to bring it over, moved by pity…   But they are two-a-penny at flea-markets. 

And a large square brick floor-tile will do just as well.

[quote user="just john "]

[quote user="idun"] I have tried and tried to find a baking stone and cannot.  [/quote]

plenty here amazon.co.uk =baking stone .

And here the  guardian. /how-to-cook-perfect-quiche guide seems comprehensive, blind baking the key[;-)]

[/quote]

Thanks for the links, there are some rectangular baking stones without handles which is what I was looking for. Until recently I have had no trouble with my quiches. I love flans, with crispy bottoms and rich soft custardy fillings.