Kindle scrambled?

woolybanana

I don't think so AnOther - it's pretty much plain English after all! Nothing to explain.....in relation to this particular topic.

I'm frankly amazed at the 'suspicion' with which some of my posts have been met - it's almost like some kind of denial...i.e. I see what you've written Chiefluvvie but it simply can't be true!

Well - take it or leave it - or, contact the CAA / DGAC for their data - it's mostly in the public domain. Then do with it as you will - just don't sit anywhere near me on an aircraft!

Chiefluvvie

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[quote user="Chiefluvvie"]how utterly crass and insensitive - quite shocking![/quote]Not at all and as good a method as you have offered to backup your argument. You quoted the data you link to it.

[quote user="Chiefluvvie"]just don't sit anywhere near me on an aircraft![/quote]Sounds like you are up there with the driver and his/her mate so little chance - but I'll still stomp on you if you impede my egress though [;-)]

[quote user="Chiefluvvie"]777 First Officer actually and guess what, brace yourself NickP - female! Imagine that..... Chiefluvvie[/quote]

If you say so?  I don't find anything unusual in that as my mother in law used to kick start jumbo jets. [:D]

Funny you should say that Q because when my Mother in Law first worked at the airport,  the push back crews went on strike; so she used to push the jumbos down the tarmac to bump start them, but the airport authorities thought that was a bit butch for a female, and the blokes complained that she made them look like wimps so they brought in the kick start method. [:D]

I can't find any statistics one way or the other. I do know that I can recite the safety instructions word perfect, and it always starts with "you may not be familiar with this aircraft" even though I just flew out on it 3 days ago. I can't remember the last time a plane landed in the ocean and everyone climbed out onto the wings and inflated their lifejackets and then got into the rafts. What generally happens is that the plane crashes and everyone is killed, so no amount of paying attention is going to help. Statistically it's still safer than travelling by road so I'm happy to take my chances. We don't get all this bull***t when we board a train or a bus, so why make a big mystical deal out of it. Let me read my book, I already looked for the exits and planned which seats I'll be climbing over IF we survive the crash/fire/whatever.

I travelled on a train from Montreal to Toronto a couple of years ago and happened to be sitting by the window deemed to be the emergency exit.   The guard came and gave me a run-down on exactly what I would have to do in the event of an accident to open the window and let everyone evacuate the carriage

Angela.

[quote user="sid"]I already looked for the exits and planned which seats I'll be climbing over IF we survive the crash/fire/whatever.[/quote]

I'm sad to say that I think you are in the minority in doing that. The number of times that I see people of reduced mobility trying to get into emergency exit rows, or blocking the aisle seat footwell with their bags etc, is worryingly high.

When "precautionary" emergency evacuations are carried out, there are always injuries - caused (apparently) in the main by people not following instructions and doing things like allowing their arms to flail, not removing unsuitable shoes (which snag on the slide), trying to leave with baggage, etc.

Accident investigations in aviation are VERY thorough and concern all aspects of the incident: it is not just "What caused the incident? Can this type of incident be avoided?" but also "What can we learn to improve safety in general in future? How can we improve the survivability of incidents?". If you look at the investigation of the British Airtours Manchester incident (for example), it spawned investigations that led to improvements in a variety of areas - including cabin evacuations - not connected with the immediate cause of the incident (an engine defect). The Wikipedia page is a good starting point.

Regards

Pickles

I don't think it's possible to turn off a Kindle in such a way as to stop the 3G/WiFi bit working if that is switched on. Kindles will continue to download books or other documents via 3G/WiFi even if they are showing the "key-lock" screen, which is what you get if you turn them "off". What Ryanair should be doing (if they are concerned about interference, rather than inattention) is asking Kindle owners to turn off the WiFi - and keep reading.....

I was once very impressed indeed by a Ryanair flight attendant doing something I am sure I couldn't do however much I practiced. She read out the lengthy end of flight announcement while adding up the figures on her clipboard showing the takings from sales of food etc. She was writing down totals as she spoke. Try it yourself!

[quote user="Chiefluvvie"]Oh yes........ BAC 1-11's - think I studied them in ancient history! Chiefluvvie[/quote]

Actually they were used for a while as 'flying classrooms' for RAF navigators and bomb aimers (I did some of my nav training on one) etc replacing the 'flying pig' or better known as the Varsity. It was later replaced by the Jetstream T1.

[quote user="Chiefluvvie"]Hudson River New York - just last year sid. I won't go on to list the myriad of survivable commercial air accidents - you've probably got your head in a book....... Chiefluvvie[/quote]

No, you tell me how many there were in the last 12 months, and then I'll give you a list of the disaster crashes simply gathered from the news websites all around the world.

Start by looking at these: http://planecrashinfo.com/cause.htm

All your pontificating is brainwashing tutt designed to make us feel secure, when in fact the safety is entirely out of our hands.

The Hudson river incident is an outstanding exception; and the fact that everyone survived was down to the skill of the aircrew in ditching in an accessible place. 

If you crash on landing or takeoff the greatest danger after the actual impact, is fire and smoke inhalation; there is absolutely no provision for passenger welfare, no smoke masks, fireproof suits etc. Remember the the one at Manchester 20-odd years ago? Nothing has changed, no sprinkler systems, nothing.

I watched a documentary on this very subject in the last couple of years, about getting off the plane in a panic situation, and it really is survival of the fittest.

Also, I object to being told how to fasten, adjust, and undo a seatbelt. I've been wearing them in the car for 40 years, and 99% of the passengers will have arrived at the airport and used the identical mechanism in their transport. It's no wonder that people get so bored listening to the same routine.

Too many people in the airline business have a very high opinion of themselves.  It's just a job.

Really? How hard is it to remember a safety briefing? stow luggage....seat belt....tray table...seat back.....exits front back and over the wings.....strips on the floor point to nearest.......lifejacket under the seat......round here tie at the side...... dont inflate till outside.......blow through the straw...... whistle and flashing light..... Its not complicated and of all the flights I have been on, with several different airlines, the briefings have all been pretty much the same.

As for turning off electronics, My personal belief is that this is bollocks of the highest order. If there were real, provable risks where wifi or mobile phones would interfere with flight electronics, these devices would not be allowed in the cabin. The problem for the airlines is what would then be done with these devices? they would have to be turned off and checked into the hold, but not everyone carries hold bags, so there would have to be special arrangements made for stowing them and that would cost airlines money...... Airlines dont like spending money - If the risks were real, they would HAVE to make this investment.

[quote user="pachapapa"]minus 50°C!    not kind to LCD tactile screens.[:D][/quote]

Exactly! The cost of retro-fitting a safe storage facility in the cabin or in the hold would be massive, never mind the alterations required to the check-in procedures and so on. If these devices really were capable of bringing a plane down it would have been obligatory for airlines to have implemented these systems years ago.

[quote user="dave21478"]As for turning off electronics, My personal belief is that this is bollocks of the highest order. If there were real, provable risks where wifi or mobile phones would interfere with flight electronics, these devices would not be allowed in the cabin.[/quote]Well said Dave.

As an electronics engineer both by training and profession I am in a position to say that whilst interference from personal electronic devices cannot be 100% ruled out avionics are designed to be resistant to such external influnces and therefore the chances of it occuring, and affecting flight safety, are so infintisemally small as to be considered non existent.

Consider this also; every airport in the world has a bloody great radar pumping out effectively kW of pulsed power, often within a few hundred meters of the runway, and if that doesn't affect aircraft avionics not much else will !

Furthermore; many long haul airlines now actually provide onboard WiFi and mobile phone facilities, Ryanair were supposedly going to do it at one time but I don't think they did.

The switching off of electronic devices during takeoff and landing is an attempt to ensure passenger attention, nothing else.

As a frequent flyer you become adept as spotting first timers or novices and despite them being the ones who may pay full attention to the brief it is they who could well present the greatest danger in an evacuation by prevaricating and panicking.