Kindle scrambled?

woolybanana

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[quote user="woolybanana"]

Anyone had a problem with their Kindle after it passed through airport security or is it just the DM?

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/article-2063587/Amazon-Kindle-scrambled-airport-X-ray-machines-say-travellers.html

[/quote]

Never had a prob.  Could it be foreign machines that come over here and take the jobs of our machines and cause cancer?

I heard the other day that they weigh more when 'books' are added to them so if your over weight for the flight it may be that you have added some books while away. Perhaps they offloaded some of the books for you so it would not weigh so much?

It has been revealed that the Amazon e-book reader weighs more when it is fully loaded.

When an e-reader is loaded with thousands of books, does it gain any weight?

[quote user="Quillan"]I heard the other day that they weigh more when 'books' are added to them so if your over weight for the flight it may be that you have added some books while away. Perhaps they offloaded some of the books for you so it would not weigh so much?[/quote]

I would expect that the difference in weight between a fully charged battery vs an empty battery would swamp this effect! I'll have to do the calculations now!

Regards

Pickles

Heavier when loaded with books? Is it April 1st already? [blink]

I wonder if my camera is heavier when I've taken a load of photos? 

I'll be taking my Kindle to UK this week so I'll find out 1) whether it gets scrambled 2) whether it causes me to exceed Ryanair's generous hand luggage limit and 3) whether I can connect to public wi-fi networks. How exciting! [:-))]

[:D][:P][:D]

[quote user="sid"]Heavier when loaded with books? Is it April 1st already? [blink][/quote]

Bear in mind that we are dealing here with inceases in mass that you will not be able to detect with your kitchen scales ...

[quote user="sid"]I wonder if my camera is heavier when I've taken a load of photos?[/quote]

Depending on the memory technology, then yes ... but see my first comment ...

Ours have been through airport scanners numerous times with no ill-effects.

Regards

Pickles

[quote user="Loiseau"]Don't forget, you are not allowed to sit reading it during takeoff or landing! Angela[/quote]

As a 'flyer' seems pretty sensible to me Loiseau - take-off and landing are the 2 most critical phases of any flight and to be honest you shouldn't be reading, or listening to anything!

In an ideal world, for a few minutes at the start and end of each flight, you should really be thinking about your safety and that of those around you. Statistically, those who read during the safety demos and during t/o and landing - stand a much lower chance of survival if there were to be an 'incident'.

Chiefluvvie

[quote user="Chiefluvvie"]

In an ideal world, for a few minutes at the start and end of each flight, you should really be thinking about your safety and that of those around you. Statistically, those who read during the safety demos and during t/o and landing - stand a much lower chance of survival if there were to be an 'incident'.

Chiefluvvie

[/quote]

What? How does anybody know that??

[quote user="Loiseau"]Don't forget, you are not allowed to sit reading it during takeoff or landing! Angela[/quote]

As a 'flyer' seems pretty sensible to me Loiseau - take-off and landing are the 2 most critical phases of any flight and to be honest you shouldn't be reading, or listening to anything!

Chiefluvvie

[/quote]

Quite true for the pilot but what about the passengers? [:D]

[quote user="You can call me Betty"][quote user="Chiefluvvie"]

Chiefluvvie

[/quote]

[/quote]

They don't but they know when the most accidents occure and they are in landing, the next highest is on actual takeoff (not the climb out and leveling off).

Some airlines have never had an accident http://planecrashinfo.com/noaccident.htm

Source - http://planecrashinfo.com/cause.htm

PS don't fly with Turkish Airlines, they have had more fatal accidents than any other European airline.

Chiefluvvie

[/quote]

As a passenger who frequently uses Ryanair, I listen carefully to the safety info on every flight, even after many many flights with them. I then read my Kindle for the rest of the short flight.

I don't know where the info on safety when reading comes from.

Surely people who regularly sleep on sitting down in a plane should statistically be those less likely to survive? I know a number of people who do just that, most of whom take a sleeping tablet or drink a good quantity of alcohol before settling down; these are all people who regularly travel long distances by air every week.

[quote user="You can call me Betty"][quote user="Chiefluvvie"]

Chiefluvvie

[/quote]

[/quote]

Quite simply Betty from the thorough analysis of previous accidents and the escape / survival (or not!) statistics of passengers and crew on board. It's generally covered in all flight and cabin crew training - if you'd like a copy I'd be happy to provide it for you. In fact your 'survival' rates increase by around 27-30% if your actively listen to safety announcements / briefings and clearly identify your nearest exit and most direct route to it. You also become less of a 'liability' to your fellow passenegrs. Loads of reasearch has been published and is available on this subject.....

Chiefluvvie

[quote user="Quillan"][quote user="You can call me Betty"][quote user="Chiefluvvie"]

Chiefluvvie

[/quote]

[/quote]

They don't but they know when the most accidents occure and they are in landing, the next highest is on actual takeoff (not the climb out and leveling off).

Some airlines have never had an accident http://planecrashinfo.com/noaccident.htm

Source - http://planecrashinfo.com/cause.htm

PS don't fly with Turkish Airlines, they have had more fatal accidents than any other European airline.

[/quote]

Oh yes they DO know Quillan - actually it's a pretty exact science.....

Chiefluvvie

[quote user="gardengirl "][quote user="Chiefluvvie"]

Chiefluvvie

[/quote] As a passenger who frequently uses Ryanair, I listen carefully to the safety info on every flight, even after many many flights with them. I then read my Kindle for the rest of the short flight. I don't know where the info on safety when reading comes from. Surely people who regularly sleep on sitting down in a plane should statistically be those less likely to survive? I know a number of people who do just that, most of whom take a sleeping tablet or drink a good quantity of alcohol before settling down; these are all people who regularly travel long distances by air every week.[/quote]

gardengirl - it's not just about reading - it's about not paying attention and not being aware of your surroundings. The people you know who take a sleeping tablet or get tandked up before flying are the very ones most likely to impede your exit in an emergency - don't sit anywhere near them!

Chiefluvvie

Having an ex-stewardess cousin who used to rant about passengers not paying attention, I make a point of always listening to the safety talk, Chief Luvvie.

However, I imagined that the ban on reading a Kindle during take-off and landing was due to its electronic nature; the same as they ask you not to use electronic games or computers. Presumably there's a chance that they could interfere with some vital bit of the plane's electronics.

If it was just a question of getting everyone's attention for the safety talk, they would stop you reading paperbacks as well, surely?

Angela

Correct - Kindle's are only really an issue during take off and landing if their wifi / 3g is enabled - problem is, the crew can't be sure so it's easier to ask everyone to turn them off.

In fact 'some' airlines DO ask passengers to put their books and newspapers down and listen to the safety demo - it's just that a lot of people choose to ignore the request.

Generally, it can be the people who fly all the time that are the most 'blasé' about safety issues. It doesn't really matter if you've heard a safety demo 5 times or 500 hundred times - it's the latest time you heard it that counts!

Chiefluvvie

SO. let me see if I can get this right....they count the number of people who aren't paying attention to the safety briefing, or they count the number of corpses clutching books or newspapers, or they ask the survivors whether they listened to the safety briefing...or what?

Sort of Betty - but it's a bit more scientific than that....

'They' analyse crash / accident data paying particular attention to where each passenger and crew member was sitting in relation to any 'usable' exit during an evacuation incident - and in fact how far away they were sitting from the safety briefing - given by the crew or via video screens. The position of the screens and the crew is very specific to aircraft type and configuration - even if there is a video screen in each seat.

The 'survivors' are indeed interviewed - quite intensively - and ONE of the many things established is whether or not they paid attention to the safety briefing pre-departure. They are also asked if they knew where their nearest exit was, if it was 'usable' (i.e. not obstructed, affected by fire etc).

Then we have the crew (just like me!) - their input is of course invaluable as is the extensive data obtained through their recurrent (at the very least annual) crew training and safety / evacuation procedures.

Obviously, we're never going to know exactly how anyone will react in an emergency but, what is clear, is that those people who DON'T have their head in a book (or Kindle!) or their ipad plugged in, or are drunk, or have taken a sleeping pill...stand a much better chance of survival if the accident is not entirely catastrophic.

There are no civil aviation laws around passengers reading during take-off and landing , but then - there are no laws about putting your hand in a fire - it's just common sense!

Hope this helps to clear things up for you Betty.

Chiefluvvie

I suspect as many die through indecision and misplaced courtesy as through not paying full attention to the brief and I might be convinced by the data if those who did not survive were also able to testify as to how much attention they had paid.

As a veteran of probably 1000 scheduled flights or more, plus as many helicopter flights, I seldom pay much more than passing attention to safety briefs but what I do do is choose my seat carefully, make myself aware of where the exits are and in case of an evacuation would have no hesitation in climbing over anything or anyone to get out, I'll make my apologies afterwards.

And...in reality that's exactly what happens - every wo/man for her/himself - no question of any 'misplaced courtesy' - believe me.....

Strange thing though isn't it? Whether 'convinced' or not by the data / research - arrogance will generally be the principal killer in any emergency....

Chiefluvvie