Now this really IS the end of the world ...

Pickles

Seriously - now that is sad.  As someone brought up about 20 mns drive from the "original" (to me the only) Harry Ramsden's - ie at Guiseley - it was "the place" to be taken after a trip to Leeds or Bradford, to see the pantomine .... pressie from the tree -  I was always very worried when they expanded....  agree - it really is the end of the world.

Back in the 60s, on a very special occasion, we would get into Dad's Ford consul, 3 of us, joined by the family next door, all 5 of them and rattle off to Guiseley in our best clothes - suits and ties and everything.  Once a year if we were lucky.  What a dreadfully sad life!

I went to one once, many years ago, just outside Leeds. I had heard that they produced the best fish and chips ever. Unfortunately neither I nor the rest of the group I was with thought so and most of it went in the bin, a very disappointing experience. I read somewhere that the best fish and chips are normally from shops run by Chinese. I don't know if in general this is true but certainly our local one (in Kent) was and it was very good, nice batter and wonderful crispy chips.

I have never had any HR's fish and chips and frankly I have been disappointed with a couple of the fish and chip restos in Whitby, including the Magpie. However, there is a take and eat chippy in Whitby that is marvellous.

Good fish and chips, I do really enjoy them from time to time. JK I bet you would really look forward to that treat when you were young, and that is not sad at all, even looking back on it it shouldn't be.

[quote user="idun"]

JK I bet you would really look forward to that treat when you were young, and that is not sad at all, even looking back on it it shouldn't be. 

[/quote]

It certainly made a break from shinning up those chimneys.