Jeremy Clarksons critics should be taken out and shot

just john

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

IMO these remarks about suicide were worse than those about the strikers. The strikers remarks were clearly not meant literally and similar to those heard in saloon bars up and down England. The suicide remarks could cause real hurt to those who had lost  a loved one in these circumstances.

• 2 weeks later...

There was also this

http://news.uk.msn.com/uk/bbc-chief-defends-jeremy-clarkson-24

The One Show has between 4.8M and 5.2M viewers depending on the day of the week so lets say 5M. Given that the BBC received about 22k complaints I think its a storm in a teacup and is very low percentage that has complained. JC and the syndication of his programs are far too valuable to the BBC for them to sack him for his joke (for that was what it was, a joke even though some may secretly agree with him).

To answer your questions John, no to the first and sadly it would seem no to the second.

Viewing figures source http://www.barb.co.uk/report/weekly-top-programmes-overview

Clarkson is in the entertainment business, he entertains some people but not others. As do some of those people who are called 'comedians'.

Anyone who dislikes Clarkson has a simple remedy - don't watch / listen to him.

I find some of his statements amusing, other statements leave me cold. He hates caravanners, I don't - so what?

[quote user="cooperlola"]  But certainly I don't find JC in the least bit funny.  He's just a mysoginistic pr***.  If that makes me humourless, then yes, I most certainly am.[/quote]

I've never understood Ladies (sorry women's) fascination for the use of the expression pr***, blokes tend not to use it as a preference; as for JC's mysogyny well I do believe there is a bit of provocative use of the tongue in cheek. (There is a female equivalent of this attitude in Jo Brand and others)

BBC director general Mark Thompson explains it this way (though a jokes obviously not so good when it has to be explained.)
Clarkson's comments were "said entirely in jest and were not intended to be taken seriously" and that he would not be sacked.
Lord Patten said: "Were we to sack him for saying something pretty stupid that would set precedents that mean a lot of people would never get to broadcast."
Mr Thompson said: "Although clearly he's a polarising figure for the BBC, there are many millions of people who enjoy and support Jeremy Clarkson. That has to be balanced against a couple of flippant remarks in one programme."

[quote user="just john "]

I've never understood Ladies (sorry women's) fascination for the use of the expression pr***, blokes tend not to use it as a preference;

[/quote]Because I think the female equivalent is a bit strong for a forum, even with asterisks.  My o/h uses the p word a lot - epsecially whist driving - as do many men I know. 

Yes, women, thanks.  The problem with the word lady is that it is so often used by chaps whilst they're in the process of being patronising towards my sex, as if that somehow makes it better or acceptable.

But Steve's right.  Clarkson comes on, we switch him off.  Sadly though his bigoted and ill-informed comments are now apparently newsworthy which can only serve to inflate his apparently already boundlss ego.  I can't really believe I'm discussing him except that it appears that anybody who doesn't like him should be shot.  Which of course means me.  I think that's a bit of an over-reaction.

Does this not beg the question that it's not what you say but the way you say it.

I wouldn't say I am a big CJ fan but I like Top Gear. I wouldn't buy any of the cars they have on the show. If I have not switched my mind in to JC mode before I watch it then I find myself cringing at some of his comments but if I am in JC mode then they are rather funny which is how they are really intended. Remember the on going thing about Morris Marina's, very funny? For none Top Gear entertainment out of the three I like James May. For 'real' car info on the telly 5th Gear is better. Has anyone watched the US version of Top Gear? It's just not the same, I just does not do it for me, there is not that chemistry between the presenters that the original UK has but then I guess it has to play to a different culture and mindset.

We all have things we don't like on TV, I can't stand X Factor, Big Brother and that 'get me out of here' program, a total waste of time. I simply watch another channel or get up and do something like walk the dog. As others have said your not exactly forced to watch these things.

We haven't watched Top Gear since the days of Tony Mason et al when it was a reasoned review programme.  Mr C now refers to it as "populist c**p!"

Yes, of course I realise that JJ's post title was supposed to be funny, as was my initial response.  But I don't find sexism funny, thus Clarkson just comes over as a boring bigot to me.

[quote user="Quillan"]

We all have things we don't like on TV, I can't stand X Factor, Big Brother and that 'get me out of here' program, a total waste of time. I simply watch another channel or get up and do something like walk the dog. As others have said your not exactly forced to watch these things.

[/quote]If he were just on the TV that would be fine, but he's all over the place like a rather unpleasant rash one can't get rid of!

I don't watch those other shows either but it does irritate me that they seem to have penetrated the "news" as well, and their participants turn into "celebrities" for doing naff all!

[quote user="cooperlola"][quote user="just john "]  I've never understood Ladies (sorry women's) fascination for the use of the expression pr***, blokes tend not to use it as a preference;
[/quote]Because I think the female equivalent is a bit strong for a forum, even with asterisks.  My o/h uses the p word a lot - epsecially whist driving - as do many men I know. 
Yes, women, thanks.  The problem with the word lady is that it is so often used by chaps whilst they're in the of being patronising towards my sex, as if that somehow makes it better or acceptable.
But Steve's right.  Clarkson comes on, we switch him off.  Sadly though his bigoted and ill-informed comments are now apparently newsworthy which can only serve to inflate his apparently already boundlss ego.  I can't really believe I'm discussing him except that it appears that anybody who doesn't like him should be shot.  Which of course means me.  I think that's a bit of an over-reaction. [/quote]

Blimey Coops, he really has got your dander up, must remember not to mention him (except when it's time to wind you up)[6] though as for bigoted and ill-informed, perhaps that's also a matter of opinion.

I know we've done ladies before but I'm sure its not intentionally being patronising towards your sex, how else when two or three are gathered together in the bar do you ask ''what would like to drink Ladies/Women/Girls''?

James May gets away with 'Cock' all the time, though I do worry about where this will get us especially with the other C word being used frequently, even on the puppet show Mongrels BBC Mongrels Vince Sings, as for Russell Howard and Frankie Boyle, well I'd rather take JC.

PS. The 'should be taken out and shot' bit  - that was just provocative tongue in cheek,  (one of my kinds of humour I'm afraid)[:D]

[quote user="Frecossais"]Imagine being Jeremy Clarkson's wife. Wonder if she ever asks him whether he really believes most of what his smart-a***d remarks are saying.
Not only is he sexist and a bore, but he is sycophantic and so contrived. Oh, and not worth the money he is paid! IMHO of course.
[/quote]

Actually his wife is both his manager and agent and is a bit of a 'petrol head' herself.  She actually gets to choose his cars for personal use and bought him a Merc SL600 last year for his birthday. So they have the best of both worlds and whilst he is 'riding high' I don't think she will tell him to tone it down especially when Top Gear s the highest ranking program by far on BBC 2 and she is making just as much, if not more, money than him.

[quote user="cooperlola"][quote user="Quillan"]

Top Gear s the highest ranking program by far on BBC [/quote]I think that should be BBC2, Quillan.

[/quote]

Quite right, slip of the digit, now corrected.

By the way and why I think of it good luck when you go in. I forgot to add that to the other thread.

I suspect (that though they are separated) she is behind cranking up the act, as the publicity generated is cranking up their money machine . . .

Clarkson has said: “What we’ve done, we’ve achieved together. We’re very much a team. I certainly wouldn’t do this on my own.”