Cooperlola

cooperlola2

• Replies 749
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks for asking but to be honest, Suey, it was something of a non-event.  I have had much the same reaction as last time - ie a bit "bunged up" and painful joints but as I was prepared I took precautionary meds and have got through both rather better than the previous time.  My hair continues to thin out and for once I'm  quite sorry that I haven't gone grey yet as the contrast between my still dark hair and the bald bits is beginning to show![:-))]  In fact, if this is the worst it gets then the chemo will be the least of my worries - especially when I look at how badly some people react and how low it brings them.  So far I've got off very lightly but of course I'm only a third of the way through the thing.  At least I am able to eat and drink normally which probably helps to keep my strength up.

Hi Coops

Finally found the time to read your thread.  You are amazing, I don't know how you stay so positive with everything that has happened over the last few years.  But... keep up the good work, positive thoughts must certainly help.

Also good to read your thoughts and experiences re chemo and frozen hat...  I was going to ask about this when I see my oncologist next week.  I will keep everything crossed that you continue to have only mild side effects and can still enjoy a good bottle of wine now and then!

Thinking of you.

Mrs Bertiebe

Hi Mrs B

The cap really only works well if they do it properly!  It has to be fitted 15 minutes before the chemo starts and be replaced before it's allowed to get warm (every 20 minutes or so.)  The first time I had very attentive nurses but at my 2nd go they were rushed off their feet and it wasn't changed enough, imho (I buzzed them and asked but a couple of times they forgot and were ages turning up with a fresh one) so it was nothing like as effective.  I have a bit of hair left (enough to cover most of my head if I comb it properly) but the bald bits are now getting pretty obvious.  Still, it lasted a month longer than I was told it would so that is something.  Because, no matter how much people say it doesn't matter and the stuff will grow back, it is a really horrid experience which I am glad I tried to stem a bit at least.[:)]  Even though the frozen hat is pretty nasty when they first put it on, after a couple of minutes the numbness sets in and it's really not bad at all.  Worth it, imho.

Good luck with your own treatment - hope all goes well for you.  And thanks to the rest of you for your continued good wishes.  I've felt a bit quezy in the last few days but all in all it's gone a lot better than I had hoped (apart from the Duncan Goodhew impersonations.)

Sorry Debs that you are doing the DG impression. I would be tempted to wear the headscarf all the time and not look. I think timescale for a friend was chemo in October headscarf all winter and full head of  back to long hair again by the next October.  That was five years ago and no problems since - hairwise or otherwise. Hope you enjoyed the Grand Prix and really really hope you can enjoy a good glass of red and Mr Coops Spag Bol.

I saw a friend who is recovering from Ovarian Cancer a couple of weeks ago - she had her op in January and having lost all her hair (which she expected) is now coming through well, probably an inch all over - she actually looks very well,  I guess it varies with different people.

Sorry RH & Debs. I am def not working on all cylinders.  What I should have said was friends hair did start to regrow after only a couple of months and it was back to her normal long hair by the next October. It was ovarian cancer and she is looking and doing great 5 years on.

• 2 weeks later...

I am fine thanks.   I had my third chemo on Thursday so have not been on line much as I feel it's better to take plenty of rest at this stage in the cycle.  But it went well and so far so good once again.  I am eating and drinking normally and was outside this morning taking burrs out of the ponies' manes prior to their move to their winter paddock.  Nice to be out in the sunshine enjoying the animals.

I'm now going back to bed for an afternoon of racing (sadly back to just one proper race today[:(]) and will reply to your pm soon - I haven't forgotten you, Suey.[:)]

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks Mrs Bb.

I'm seeing they gynae who did my op' this afternoon and tomorrow should be able to discuss the results of the mid-chemo scan with the oncologist (although she is nothing like as approachable, sadly) so it will be abit of a landmark.  Just hoping that all is going according to plan since the last treatment is just before Christmas (no turkey this year, methinks!)