Cooperlola

cooperlola2

• Replies 749
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[quote user="sueyh"]I think a Jedward wig would be good ;0)

Suey x
[/quote]I wish I understood that reference!  Goggle here we come.

The PAC is in - a horrid experience under a local anaesthetic in spite of the music in my ears.  Give me full knock-out any day.  On the plus side it was done at 9 this morning and I'm already at home with a cuppa. Also staying on the gynae ward is like going to see old friends - everybody is so friendly and greets me by name.   I also got a foot massage from a member of staff whose job is it simply to give a bit of pleasant respite to cancer sufferers.  Lovely lady.  How good is that?  I can't believe how kind everybody is.  My rehab' doc whom I saw on Wednesday gave me a great big hug and wished me bon courage.  It's not worth getting cancer for but it does a great deal for one's faith in human nature.  I really do bump into far, far more kind and pleasant people than rude and unpleasant ones.

I've ordered a load of hats plus I have a prescription for the wig and I get another 200 odd euros on top of the state amount from my top-up so as it will be nigh-on free, why not? 

A quiet weekend in prospect then hairdressers on Tuesday and the first chemo Thursday.  All day at the hospital and overnight if they think I need to.  You cannot complain about the service.

Bit by bit you are getting there.

You know how I feel about 'hair', so I do hope that you enjoy your short hair. You never know, you may really like it. I was only allowed longish hair once when I was a girl and then frog marched to the hair dressers and made to have it all cut off, my mother was a very 'difficult' woman and that is being polite.

Having the PAC put in isn't nice, but it saves having to have a line put in each time, and is more secure, as the chemo products are  toxic or they wouldn't kill the cancer cells.  It is important that they go to the right  place..

Assuming all goes well you go in, they check your blood tests to make sure you can have your next dose (sometimes my white blood cells sere too low so it was postponed) then when the Doctor gives the go- ahead the Pharmacy makes up the treatment.

In my case it was that wait that took the longest.

After that they connect the pump to the PAC with a line and a needle then away you go.

You can wander around with the pump on a stand on wheels, or you may have a portable one as I mentioned before.

It does bring out the best in people as I  said in my first post when I got access back to the Internet.

[quote user="NormanH"]It does bring out the best in people
[/quote]It does indeed.  Sadly she is busy on Tuesday but before she knew the day, my neighbour opposite volunteered to come to the hairdressers with me to give me moral support.

My rehab' doctor's secretary, my physio and I were all having a chat on Wednesday and they both said how refreshing it was that I was willing to talk about it and that many people here treat cancer like a form of leprosy, not to be talked about but to be hidden as much as possible.  Do you think this is true? 

I think short hair on women  is probably OK (although personally I think it's most unflattering, but that's a matter of taste)  if you're into make-up and jewellery and stuff but on me who hates all that junk, I just look like a bloke (apart from the boobs).[:D]  I'm going to take an awful lot of convincing but you are all very kind for trying to convince me otherwise.[kiss]

[quote user="cooperlola"]

[quote user="NormanH"]It does bring out the best in people
[/quote]It does indeed.  Sadly she is busy on Tuesday but before she knew the day, my neighbour opposite volunteered to come to the hairdressers with me to give me moral support.

My rehab' doctor's secretary, my physio and I were all having a chat on Wednesday and they both said how refreshing it was that I was willing to talk about it and that many people here treat cancer like a form of leprosy, not to be talked about but to be hidden as much as possible.  Do you think this is true? 

I think short hair on women  is probably OK (although personally I think it's most unflattering, but that's a matter of taste)  if you're into make-up and jewellery and stuff but on me who hates all that junk, I just look like a bloke (apart from the boobs).[:D]  I'm going to take an awful lot of convincing but you are all very kind for trying to convince me otherwise.[kiss]

[/quote]

Well then, Coops, just show off the boobs, some suitably low-cut tops and a bit of blusher in the decolletage and er.....Bob's your uncle (or whatever the correct expression is!)[:P]

Now talking of men with boobs. To show how long I was out of the UK, for the first time last night I saw Fatima Whitbread she was on Come Dine with Me. My son and I looked at one another and he said, that must be a bloke. We hadn't initially heard the name, just saw the person. So I googled her and saw her when she was young and she looked like a young bloke with boobs.

She seemed very nice, but for us, who had never seen her before, she was a man with boobs.

My mother died 20 odd years ago, although I suspect if she hadn't had  the genetic illness she had she'd have seen us all out. Her favourite thing was to tell my Dad what she'd do when she buried him. As I said, a 'difficult' woman.

[/quote]

They talk about it here in the France profonde, but don't understand it and often think it's something you can catch.  "Il a attrapé le cancer".  One woman whose husband had cancer was washing and treating his items separately, as it must be contagious!

[quote user="idun"]

Now talking of men with boobs. To show how long I was out of the UK, for the first time last night I saw Fatima Whitbread she was on Come Dine with Me. My son and I looked at one another and he said, that must be a bloke. We hadn't initially heard the name, just saw the person. So I googled her and saw her when she was young and she looked like a young bloke with boobs.

She seemed very nice, but for us, who had never seen her before, she was a man with boobs.

[/quote]

I met her several years ago, she was staying in a hotel in Crystal palace. The lift was one of the narrow ones but she still had to turn to fit out of the doors she is so broad across the shoulders.

I agree with Christine ( yes, again [:)] ), in the france profonde people don't use the word cancer , some sort of superstition..

My son can't stand it, and he always says to such people " please don't use the expression " une longue maladie " !! ( my son has a strong personality [:)] )

I have a certain number of friends who have or have had cancer, and they talk about it naturally , as should be !

As Christine said, this weird behaviour is mostly restricted to remote areas, and to older people . 

I think short hair on women  is probably OK (although personally I think it's most unflattering, but that's a matter of taste)  [/quote]

I have also thought for years that long hair is much more flattering for women, even older women, because you can do chignons and all sorts of things with it. That goes against general the notion that older women SHOULD have short hair. So I have had my hair long for about 10 years now.

BUT -  partly in your honour Deb (although you didn't know about it), and partly because of my pesky and incredibly painful frozen shoulder, (only able to reach my hair with one arm, I have been looking like an old witch  for several weeks) here is what I did. I took the plunge yesterday and went "chez Simone", and had all my hair almost shaved off). Simone the patronne, having done hair for 40 years,  was jubilant at the thought of shearing off my golden locks (well, "venetian" blonde), as she said she would make me look 20 years younger - she went as far as saying afterwards "Oh you do look like Jane Fonda!" (which I most emphatetically DO NOT!). Anyway, it is such a relief to be able to eat without a mouthful of hair, and to be able to put in my earplugs without hair getting caught. And when you wake up, no need to do your hair!

You will look OK, honestly you will. You might start experimenting, as others have said, with make up (just for fun), with jewellery, and with plunging necklines!

Big hug (one-armed one)XX

Yes, but just think - I can buy 3 DVDs for the price of the average hair cut.  No contest![:D]  This enforced hair cut will be free though, I suppose....[:-))]

Make up, bits of stuff round my wrists and neck all day - no thanks.  I can't even wear a watch they drive me so bonkers.  I sometimes put one on if I'm working to a strict timetable but after half an hour or so I've pulled it off and stuck it in my handbag!

Wiggy and haircut [+o(] day tomorrow after the pre-chemo blood test.  My ma' has asked for a photo too so you never know.....

I have had a disturbed couple of nights as I temporarily reverted to angry lobster status on my return home from the PAC insertion when my allergy kicked in again.  Happily it has now subsided as I was a little concerned that I had reacted against the thing.  My appointment with the dermatologist has been put off until after the chemo but I'm beginning to wonder if this is really wise.  More questions for the poor docs.   Once again, I've spoken to the medics at the hospital and they don't seem too concerned but I'd hate the treatment to get postponed as I am now resigned to it and delay would just get me worked up - especially if I have to look at myself with horrible hair in the meantime.[:-))]

Never mind, half a dozen hats/scarves turned up in the post this morning (thank you Hats4Heads and Pickles both) so I can at least play at dressing up....