So, we are all having to tighten our belts while...........

Bugsy

this crowd of 'f!$%wit-numpties' are flying to greece in a specially-painted 'Golden plane' to pick up a f!$%in flame.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-18085399

I can't imagine what that little jolly has cost.

Whats wrong with DHL ffs.

[:@][:@]

Isnt it supposed to be brought by a relay of runners?

Plenty of brits in Greece, Spain and France on jobseekers allowance that could have been made to do it.

They could even have used some of those claiming disability benefit.

I'm afraid the whole thing has seemed rather remote from those of us not immediately concerned. It was trumpeted locally that Loughborough University had signed a 'memorandum of understanding' with the Jaqpanese Olympic team.

It was gong to give a massive boost to the local economy and the local hotels and B & Bs had high hopes. Now it seems that most of the team are not coming. There doesn't seem to be any way to recoup the money the town has spent and the town is left with a Japanese flag of flowers on a road island as a memory.

Add to this the people, like the small shopkeeper in Melton Mowbray who was told to take down the Olympic rings which she had made the centrepiece of her window display, sonethng which I suppose has been repeated right across the country, and I wonder who is benefitting apart from Macdos and Coca Cola.

Hoddy

My daughter lives and works in Weymouth, centre for the water activities of the Olympics. So far not much in the way of income or impact for the town or region because these sports are not spectator in the most. Her hotel is booked by TV and camera crews but apart from that, the Olympics are very low key locally. I'm glad France did not get them, we have enough debts to take care of here and more would tip the balance the wrong way and to be honest, I have no interest in any of it regardless of where it will be held - my garden needs attention more!

[quote user="Val_2"]My daughter lives and works in Weymouth, centre for the water activities of the Olympics[/quote]As does my OH's best friend. She used to have the tea room on the pier but the council cancelled her lease in favour of  the Olympricks effectively putting her out of business, her OH had a burger bar and was also similarly evicted.

Being survivors they bought a struggling hotel/bistro and turned it around so are continuing to make a living despite all.

[quote user="Val_2"]My daughter lives and works in Weymouth, centre for the water activities of the Olympics. So far not much in the way of income or impact for the town or region because these sports are not spectator in the most. Her hotel is booked by TV and camera crews but apart from that, the Olympics are very low key locally. I'm glad France did not get them, we have enough debts to take care of here and more would tip the balance the wrong way and to be honest, I have no interest in any of it regardless of where it will be held - my garden needs attention more![/quote]

I might be wrong but hasn't the town benefited from a road improvement ? And there are spectator points dotted around......In addition haven't several teams spent quite a few months in the town while they train.....?

Maybe 'South Today' only cover the positive......

Have you read that list of prohibited items, easier to get through airport security.

I predict near riots from London residents massively put out and inconvenienced by this money making travesy.

Games, don't make me laugh, it's about money and kudos.

By the way, and as an aside: Weymouth is centre for some of the water activities for the Olympics. Others will be held in a little spot somewhere roughly betwixt where I live and where RH lives (only closer to me!)

LOL I live with spitting distance of the Redgrave Pincent rowing facility....and I can only say that those of the male crews that shop locally are mighty fine specimens of the male species...

I would have quite liked tickets for the rowing, but I suspect I'll get a much better view and a more comfortable chair by staying at home and watching the TV ;-)