What did you do with your wedding ring?

just john

This was prompted by the BBC article below; If you were widowed or divorced what did you do with your wedding ring?,
I didn't get one, my wife engraved a silver beer tankard with our wedding date! when she died I had intended to leave hers with her but the funeral directors insisted this not possible and returned it to me so I now wear it on my right hand (the ring . . . , the tankard is for ceremonial use only![:$]).

BBC- What did you do with your wedding ring

He would never wear one, believes that anyone working in heavy industry with a ring on is begging an accident to happen.

I haven't worn one for at least 25 years and have been married to the same person for 33. I did have one, but wouldn't have had if the registrars hadn't been a little unhappy about there not being one at all.

It's not the wedding or the ring that makes a working marriage....... that's just  how I look at it.

LOL I've just read more than the first couple of lines of the article and it would seem that people other than myself place great emphasis on a bit of jewellery, giving it a symbolism that escapes me. Maybe a little more emphasis on the marriage would have helped???? I don't know about these things......... evidently. Which is not to say I may never end up divorced or us killing one another, or perhaps one of us will end up widowed. What can I say, it's only a ring. You hated the person you married and divorced them, then sell it and have a good time on the proceeds.

Mine is in my jewelry box.  My eldest son wore it for a while when going through a jewelry stage (he also wears a St Christopher I had that was a present from me to his Dad) until it got too small and then went back in there, next to the engagement ring.  I was taking about this with someone recently when discussing wills, of all things!  Who do you leave them to?  I decided they would have to go to my sons from that marriage.  I'm not sure I'd feel safe if one of them gave the engagement ring to his fiance though, like Diana's son  - it would feel as if they'd be a bit jinxed!

I hate wearing jewellery of any sort.  Mine is in a little pot in the top drawer of a chest of drawers.  I wore it on my wedding day and never again since.  Clearly this was a sign that our marriage would fail but heck, like Idun, 38 years later, here we both still are, in spite of great efforts on the part of fate to b*gger our relationship up!  A meaningless bit of metal, imo, but I haven't flogged the thing in deference to the o/h.  My engagement ring's gone though after some past financial crisis or other![:D]

I like a little jewellery, but mostly very classic. I think wedding rings are great and I treasure mine - it's never been off in nearly 45 years; through all those years of gardening, covered with tape for operations etc. Neither my mother nor father ever wore rings that any of the three siblings remember - I don't even know if they ever had rings, although I think they must have done in that era.

Our son & daughter-in-law had very expensive white gold rings for their wedding almost 5 years ago, although we didn't know how expensive until a few weeks afterwards our son, whose ring was a bit loose, lost it when recycling at the big bins. He ended up buying another, cheaper ring, although that was very expensive too in my eyes. My mother-in-law had been robbed of jewellery by a carer in the home where she was a resident, and the insurance company had sent a voucher for about £2000 to spend in only 3 jewellers, and we'd struggled after her death to find anything we wanted to buy, so I suppose he did us a good turn by using part of the voucher.

I still have my wedding ring ( after 33years) although I have been known to go for periods without wearing it. My sister and brother In law are both on their second time around and took their old rings to Brighton and sold them there , If I remember rightly they did quite nicely out of them........

Co-incidently, while sorting out some of our daughter's things, not taken to Oz 3 years ago, in our french house last week, I came across my first engagement and wedding rings and the two wedding rings I had bought my ex. I now recall that I had threaded them, dramatically, onto a piece of black ribbon and given them to her to do with as she wished. They are now back here in the UK, complete with aforesaid black ribbon, while I decide what to do with them.

My Father didn't wear one and I was with my wife for 17 years before we got married. We had our wedding rings made from 'scrap' jewellery from my other half's jewellery box...earings I had bought here  and one maybe missing - bits and pieces of stuff she had got from her grandmother but would never wear...etc.

So I guss some may say wedding rings - others may say treasured memories...

I don't like jewellery per-se apart from watches but am proud to wear my wedding ring.

So there were other people like us then. My first wedding ring was made from a piece of gold my grandfather had mined in Africa and also two rings my ex had given me. As you say, this has more meaning than a shop bought one.

Not long after we got married, the OH discovered that he had an allergic reaction when wearing his wedding ring, so he took it off, but continued to wear his 'engagement' ring for another 33 years.

38 years on I''m still wearing my wedding ring on my left hand, and will continue to do so.

I didn't want, or choose to end my marriage.  Death raised its ugly head.[:(]

That's probably the differance in peoples' attitudes to disposing of rings.

My wedding ring has never been off my finger since we married (40 yrs ago last month) and my engagement ring has only been off when I was at work as a nursing auxiliary as it was not allowed on duty for obvious reasons. Otherwise I wear the two all the time for everything; I can rarely get  them off now anyway. I also have worn my grandmother's wedding ring on the middle finger of my right hand since my mother gave it to me about 25 years ago. My husband wears a signet ring on his 'ring' finger that I gave him when we got engaged and has never removed it (to my knowledge!), that won't come off now either.

I sold my wedding ring  from my first marriage - got £7 for it -

I always felt sorry for all the poor ladies who must have had their wedding ring slip off their finger at the seaside  and lost them  - as folk with metal detectors are always finding  them - I never realised that so many people have actually thrown them in protest .

I removed mine recently after wearing it for 30.5 years. I had it made to my spec when three coloured gold bands were a very new idea and it is very thick and heavy and cost a fortune at the time, my sister also had hers made by the same artisan jeweller in three colours and neither have ever lost those colours either. This may sound bad but I am not married any longer,don't want to be alone for the rest of my life if I can help it and if I wish to find someone else to share my life with, a wedding band is not going to entice anyone should they see it. Life is for living,we are all a long time dead and I refuse to mourn forever even though I loved my husband dearly.

He wasn't the sort to sit around moping either and I would have wanted him to find someone else especially for old age purposes. Our Parisien friend of over 20years promised his wife on her deathbed some 16years ago he wouldn't marry again, it hasn't done him any favours as he is quite lonely I think when he is at home in the city and his kids have now left home too! If I find someone else to share my life, no necessarily marriage or living together I will and my kids have already suggested this because I have never ever been on my own as I went straight from living with parents to being married and being with OH since I was just 17.

I'm sure it's been said before but I do wish there was a "like" button that we could press when we want to give someone support but feel that "here, here" would be a little inane.

Val2, I applaud your common sense attitude.

[quote user="Val_2"]Our Parisien friend of over 20years promised his wife on her deathbed some 16years ago he wouldn't marry again.[/quote]Blimey. I would never want Mr C to make such a promise - quite the opposite in fact.  Poor guy.  I'm sure it seems a romantic gesture at the time but I'm not sure that I see the point.  Your way sounds much more sensible. 

I don't know that I'd ever want another husband (nor that one would want me) but I certainly wouldn't want to be alone all the time either.  I have a friend whose  husband died about 5 years ago and she has a boyfriend whom she met on an online dating site.  They neither of them want to live together but they do at least have a nice social life and she's glad to have him around even though she adored her husband.

On the subject of rings, my mother wore hers on a different finger for years after her divorce although she hated my father with a vengeance.  I never really understood why and still don't.

[quote user="Val_2"]He wasn't the sort to sit around moping either and I would have wanted him to find someone else especially for old age purposes. Our Parisien friend of over 20years promised his wife on her deathbed some 16years ago he wouldn't marry again, it hasn't done him any favours as he is quite lonely I think when he is at home in the city and his kids have now left home too! If I find someone else to share my life, no necessarily marriage or living together I will and my kids have already suggested this because I have never ever been on my own as I went straight from living with parents to being married and being with OH since I was just 17.[/quote]

Val, how very sensible you are.  I don't want to talk about my wedding rings, all two of them, but I do want you to know that I think of you now and again and am always glad to see you posting here and being an inspiration to many of us.

[quote user="Val_2"] Our Parisien friend of over 20years promised his wife on her deathbed some 16years ago he wouldn't marry again,

If I find someone else to share my life, no necessarily marriage or living together I will .[/quote]

Quite so Val 2, me too; no need for him to break his promise either, no need to marry. Had my wife been here instead of me I'm sure she would have found company.
At the risk of quoting cliche's, 'here and now' - 'we're here for a good time not a long time';  Crosby Stills Nash sang . . . particularly good version with James Taylor on this track.

[quote user="sweet 17"]

Val, how very sensible you are.  I don't want to talk about my wedding rings, all two of them,  [/quote]

Awww Sweet, surely you'll tell us now . . .[:D]