Anyone else Olympic-ed out already?

just john

Three moans from me:

1.  I keep hearing on the radio that the Olympic preparations came in on time and under budget. Surely an enormous fib!

2.  Some people playing for our team thought it right not to sing the national anthem. If they want to be in the team, they should sing; if they ''can't'' or won't, they should be somewhere else.

3.  I think 'Team GB' sounds awful!

Moans over - for now!

Actually, as somebody who isn't very keen on team games, I find I'm getting into the spirit of the Olympics. I think it started when seeing Bradley Wiggins et al go speeding by us! [:)]

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[quote user="gardengirl "]1.  I keep hearing on the radio that the Olympic preparations came in on time and under budget. Surely an enormous fib![/quote]

Especially when the contingency budget alone (which is the bit that is "not fully spent" officially) is far greater than the entire budget in the original bid!

The  improved fast route through Dorset to Weymouth for Olympic traffic included this roundabout rebuild with dozens of traffic lights installed

http://www.thisisdorset.co.uk/systems-Canford-roundabout-5-7m-revamp/story-16470839-detail/story.html

Today I drove over the route ... Today the  "fine tuneing  " of the route came into force .

The traffic was tailing down the  whole length of the Ferndown byepass from this roundabout as it usually does on a Friday .    Add to that ...The past few days due to the hot weather has put  much more traffic on the road as  people head for the beach at Bournemouth and Poole Sandbanks .  I was in  15 mph crawling traffic from juction 2 the Salisbury turn off from the M27 yesturday and the line was to the Bournemouth spur road turn off at Ringwood .  The huge sum of money spent to speed traffic to Weymouth just for the Olympics  we Dorset locals said would be a waste unless a flyover was built at Canford Bottom  roundabout ... There will be a hell of a lot of people saying "Told you so  today "  The only way the Olympic traffic will get a fast run is if it rains again and the masses avoid the beaches .

I associate  the Olympics with what goes on in the main stadium, and not much else.

Is there really any point in having such things as Olympic football when we already have the World Cup every four years. The world champions, Spain, took it so seriously that they allowed Japan to beat them. And does anyone apart from the Japanese care that they did?

How much money and trouble would have been saved if it had been confined to events taking place in, or finishing in, the Olympic Stadium?

[quote user="Russethouse"]2.  Some people playing for our team thought it right not to sing the national anthem. If they want to be in the team, they should sing; if they ''can't'' or won't, they should be somewhere else.

Hear, hear![/quote]

Why should they?

Wales and Scotland have their own anthems. Is the "national" anthem , the English anthem or the British Anthem?

If you are British and a republican and / or an atheist/ non-Christian then the anthem excludes you as it is a homage to one person and not the Nation.

I really think that in 21st century this needs to be revised to make it more inclusive. I won't sing it.

That's fine, and you view reflects my husbands, but it's been 7 years since we won the bid, the time to raise it as an issue was years ago, not now.

Athletes are taking part and as far as I understand it consider it an honour to represent their country, that honour comes with a set of conditions and singing the anthem of the country you represent is one.

No, it's not he English national anthem, it's the anthem for Great Britain, we don't have an English anthem - maybe that's the way forward.

Russethouse wrote:

Some people playing for our team thought it right not to sing the

national anthem. If they want to be in the team, they should sing; if

they ''can't'' or won't, they should be somewhere else.

Hear, hear!

Why should they?

Wales and Scotland have their own anthems. Is the "national" anthem , the English anthem or the British Anthem?

If you are British and a republican and / or an atheist/

non-Christian then the anthem excludes you as it is a homage to one

person and not the Nation.

I really think that in 21st century this needs to be revised to make

it more inclusive. I won't sing it.

That's your choice - but you aren't in 'Team GB'. The Queen is the Queen of everyone in Great Britain; if somebody can't/won't sing the National Anthem, they shouldn't have accepted a place in the team - it goes with the territory of anyone representing their country.

And, actually, it was me Russethouse was quoting.

Yes but they are atheletes and nothing more. Paid to run jump etc, far too often politics or other matters rear their heads in sports.

Now we have have other athletes from countries that are keen to assert their pride in being from Scotland and Wales competing but we don't have an anthem that reflects that.

Yes the countries have had 7 years or even longer to sort this out but there does seem to be a bit of an attitude eminating from London / England that God save the Queen is the ONLY anthem that should be heard. It's not the athletes fault and I don't blame them for competing and keeping quiet if they want to , but I do think the issue of a more inclusive English / British national anthem should be debated properly at some point but it would probably just turn into a 3 line whip.

[quote user="woolybanana"]NHS and the nurses, but no strippers so far - I keep hoping the nursies will get their kit off![/quote]

You clearly weren't looking closely enough - false excitement.

I've had enough of all this lark: lest anybody thinks that I'm even grumpier than usual, I'm looking fwd to the actual events. 

But all this rowlocks of an opening ceremony (+ the months and months of that bloody torch) which is going to go on for ever and ever just sends me in to a complete grump overload.  And yes, I watched a bit of it, because I didn't want to criticise without having seen (some) of it.

Cycling tomorrow. [:D]

TV off.

[quote user="woolybanana"]

So far, AMAZING. But, no brown people?

[/quote]

so Dizzee Rascal isn't brown? or is he too brown? or not brown enough? Plenty of "brown" people I can see

don;t worry, when they have the Olympic competitors doing the parade there will be plenty of  brown people and black, and yellow and sunshine gold... what IS your problem??

Hum hum.... excuse me... could point me in the direction of the opening ceremony? I was (we were) all rearing to go last night, but with the thunderstorms we had to unplug everything, so no TV, phone or computer.  I would love to see for myself rather than rely on the comments here... I feel I have really missed out!!![:'(]

I guess I should try youtube. [:(]

Here is a flavour:

From Gregory's Girl to Four Weddings, the Beatles to the Stones, the

Jam to the Who, Monty Python to Harry Enfield and Amy Winehouse to Tinie

Tempah it was a condensed greatest hits of British popular culture.

Inevitably,

Born Slippy also features – a nod from Underworld, who composed the

score, to Boyle, who featured it on his Trainspotting soundtrack.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/sport/2012/jul/27/olympic-opening-ceremony

I'm not going to comment because I can find no words.

[/quote]

Sorry Wooly but there was one very early in the proceedings, dressed up like a 'Boss' with Brunel in the 'Industrial Revolution' bit.

I'm pretty sure that they were mostly 'Slaves' at that point in history.

That made me laugh.

Good effort overall though.

[/quote]

Wot, no reggae??? Surely there must have been.

Thank you Norman for the link, that is rather enlightening (careful choice of words here). There is culture, and there is culture.

When I read "Boyle", I thought it was Susan rather than Danny...