Anyone else Olympic-ed out already?

just john

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's alright for you.  Living out of a hotel room means I am at the mercy of whatever channels they feel they should provide - and it seems most of them are swinging towards the only event in town (or should that be world).   Even the news shows me how I can get to the stadium from the railway station!!!![:@]

Sorry Andy I am not following you round the forum, honest.

I shall be watching a little as possible. Mrs 'Q' likes the athletics so I have got hold of some TV series and a few films to watch elsewhere in the house. I am also thinking of taking up fishing, I know it's sad but whats a chap supposed to do. [:(]

[quote user="Benjamin"]I expressed my opinion, roughly along the same lines as you, some days ago.

The only other posting I've seen was from Clair. Fortunately the Humax is very near full.  [:D]
[/quote]

Oh yeah, I'm tired of the whole thing already... and it hasn't even started!

The current Adoration of The Torch and overall enforced joviality brings to mind the cringing Jubilee coverage...

Bread and

games... We must enjoy this, you must enjoy this, you will enjoy this...

I'm looking forward to it too, HSD!  [:)]

I am not remotely interested in sport, and have never knowingly watched anything from the Olympics in my life.

But having been on a tour of the site under construction a couple of years ago,  I am making an exception this year;  I have even got tickets for one thing in the Olympic Stadium (£5 ticket for  OAPs!), and now receive near-daily offers of tickets from the official website, if I cared to sign up for any more.

As the Torch is travelling down the Thames on Friday almost past the end of my road, it would be churlish not to nip down and have a look from the towpath.  And Bradley Wiggins et al will be tearing past the other end of my "village" on  Saturday morning, so I might hike across the Common to cheer him on.

In my bus- and car-borne peregrinations of the last four days, the roads have been eerily quiet (not the same at rush hour, I believe, which happily I can avoid).

Angela

[quote user="Loiseau"]I'm looking forward to it too, HSD!  [:)]
and now receive near-daily offers of tickets from the official website
[/quote]

if you get offered anything for the heptahlon/decathlon please get in touch. No.2 son has a possibility of getting there in 8yrs so we are well up for the Olympics 

I'm hoping to be in Bushy park on Saturday to watch them fly through as i've got old flat mates who still live in Teddington with lots of floor space

For all the bah-humbugs out there, there is always the off button - or DVD's. I mean, no one is forcing anyone to watch it, it's not like you live in North Korea is it?

[quote user="Clair"]   The current Adoration of The Torch and overall enforced joviality brings to mind the cringing Jubilee coverage...
Bread and games... We must enjoy this, you must enjoy this, you will enjoy this...  [/quote]

Abso - olympickle - lutely, nearly as bad as North Korea in the amount of propaganda thrust down everyone's throat,
don't enjoy this, I refuse to enjoy this, you will not enjoy this...

[quote user="HoneySuckleDreams"] For all the bah-humbugs out there, there is always the off button - or DVD's. I mean, no one is forcing anyone to watch it, it's not like you live in North Korea is it? [/quote]

For all those who enjoy the olympics out there, fine - enjoy ; this posting is clearly for those who won't.
Despite the North Korea like entreaties like Clair said, 

[quote user="just john "]

For all those who enjoy the olympics out there, fine - enjoy ; this posting is clearly for those who won't.
[/quote]

Ok, that's me told good and proper not to interfere! I didn't realise Iwasn't allowed to comment.

Long may your whinge-fest continue...maybe if you get really good at it someone will give you a medal [:D]

[quote user="HoneySuckleDreams"]   I didn't realise Iwasn't allowed to comment.
Long may your whinge-fest continue...maybe if you get really good at it someone will give you a medal [:D][/quote]

Of course feel to comment, after all we are all entitled to compete if we want,
and there is more than one kind of medal, gold even, for a few . . . got tickets yet?[;-)]

I very much doubt I will make the deliberate decision to watch anything,

but I will probably catch something as I flick through the channels.

I'm on the fence about the games/sports/competition per se.

I've always felt rather uncomfortable about crowing about someone else's prowess as if it were mine. Just because someone has a particular flag on his or her back doesn't mean their own achievement is mine to claim. As far as I am concerned, whatever sporting success is achieved by a team or an individual belongs to them and them only.

For that reason, I have always intensely disliked the medal count in any sort of international competition and the glee which inevitably accompanies it.

The idea that "this country" is better than "that country" because "this athlete" ran faster than "that athlete" just does not compute.

I am fed up to the back teeth with the continuous coverage of The Progress of The Torch.

I am baffled by the adoration shown to it, as if it were some rare artifact to be worshipped as it is carried aloft by our betters (Eastenders? Really?)

I feel manipulated and force-fed by the Beeb which keeps running these "news" items every time I want to watch some real news.

And if that makes me one of the "bah-humbugs", I'd rather be one of those than a sheep! [:D]

[IMG]http://i139.photobucket.com/albums/q296/clair46/e3519999.gif[/IMG]

LOL Clair, the News is now coming from a studio at the Olympics !

Just because someone has a particular flag on his or her back doesn't mean their own achievement is mine to claim.

If you live in the Uk and have bought a lottery ticket you may have helped support an athlete or two....

[quote user="Russethouse"]Just because someone has a particular flag on his or her back doesn't mean their own achievement is mine to claim.

If you live in the Uk and have bought a lottery ticket you may have helped support an athlete or two....[/quote]

The key word is support. You can be proud of someone's achievement, whether you've supported them financially or not, but that's not what I'm talking about.

I'm talking about the borderline jingoism this kind of international competition engenders in its audience. To me, the Games are not so much about sporting achievements, they're about flag-waving and chauvinism.

Looking back at the news in England just a few days ago, you would have thought Bradley Wiggins had won the very first Tour de France, or that nobody had ever won it before he did!

He and his team-mates are the ones who put in all the work over three long weeks, yet every news outlet is claiming is success as a great British achievement, as if the whole nation has been there knitting his yellow jersey for him!

[quote user="HoneySuckleDreams"][quote user="NormanH"]And if that makes me one of the "bah-humbugs", I'd rather be one of those than a sheep! [:D][/quote]

be careful Norman, if the "baaaaaaa-humbugs" outnumber the rest of us, which herd becomes the sheep? [;-)][/quote]

Don't point at Norman! He was only quoting me! [:)]

Social influences are such that propaganda and persuasion will always win and I don't believe the sheep will ever be outnumbered...

[IMG]http://i139.photobucket.com/albums/q296/clair46/dd7a8b7f.jpg[/IMG]