Coops update

Russethouse

I was invited yesterday to stay in Deb's bedroom ovenight, and my night at the hospital could certainly have been worse. I arrived about 8, and the bed was all made up. Deb was being a bit restless, kept displacing the oxy mask. When I replaced it and asked her to wear it "just for me", there was a bit of a nod. Later in the night the nurses were concerned that she was displacing the bedclothes as well, and applied a foil blanket - surely the world's noisest bed-linen when the patient is restless! Deb has a history of waking up with fewer covers than she started with, so this was not news to me. About 2 they found it "necessary" to change the bed (i.e. it was!), but seemed to do so without any resentment. They also adjusted the medication, and from then on Deb slept soundly, as did I for a few hours. Regular checks were made throughout the night and I cannot fault the service, really, just smashing girls. I left just after 7, drove the 25 miles home in the overcast dawn. I am welcome there tonight - if there is a need.

Thankyou for all the warmth. I am finding it very therapeutic to write this stuff down, but apologise for sometimes providing "too much information". It is quite hard to be truly balanced in every judgement just now!

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ian, thank you for everything that you find time to write. I am sure we are all thinking of you in this horrible situation and being able to share even just a little bit makes me (and I am sure others) feel able to be "there" for you. My dearest love to you both.

[quote user="cooperlola2"] Thankyou for all the warmth. I am finding it very therapeutic to write this stuff down, but apologise for sometimes providing "too much information". [/quote]

Thank you for keeping us up to date. You are definitely not boring us or providing too much information ... far from it. Sharing can help. For me Coops is such an important part of this forum it helps me to learn how she is getting on ... though that sounds very selfish of me.

We are rooting for both of you at this horrible time.

With my very best wishes.

Sue

[quote user="Russethouse"]...we are all anxious for Coops, and for you too, sometimes I think it's much harder for the loved ones... [/quote]

So do I. Those that are ill have no choice but to get on with what their illness will bring and I think somehow the body and brain cooperate so that gradually the brain only processes what it can cope with. I can't explain that very well but I've seen it with several seriously ill people. They were really quite serene despite severely difficult situations. Whereas those that love, comfort and wait have far more to cope with and often feel so helpless because they can "only" be a support... welcome though I know that love, support and companionship is.

Best wishes to Deb and look after yourself, Ian. the nurses at the hospital sound very practical and kind.

Ian

I think we all anxiously await news of Debs and very much appreciate, in this very difficult time, that you take time and what must be quite an effort, to keep us informed.

If you do get any benefit from what people are posting then it is only paying back some of the debt owed to Debs for all the help that she has given others.

Best wishes to both of you.

Paul

[quote user="Patf"]Like the others, I come onto the forum each day to see if you've updated, and just hoping for better news.

Pat. xx[/quote]

ditto...........didnt think I would ever care for someone whom I have never met,but have been inspired by her bravery and positive attitude...xxx