UK bank transfers

Blodwyn

I had a letter from Teacher's Pensions (I get a pension as my husband was a teacher) saying 'We have received the following message from your bank:

We ask that you no longer convert the GBP for this beneficiary'

I haven't had a chance to ask the bank yet but am puzzled. How can a French bank refuse payments in euros?

Could it be another Brexit problem? Could it be that I asked to be taxed in France now? (But that was months ago.)

I use CA and I receive my Civil Service pension in Euros into the CA account.

I don't know who adminsters teachers pensions in the UK but it might be worth contacting them and telling them that you still want your pension payments only in Euros.

You could also ask at your branch why CA have asked for this or consider changing banks..

Don't forget that CA is a collection of regional banks each with slightly different ways of doing things.
I had minor problems when I worked in Midi Pyrénées but lived in Languedoc, but I don't  know if that has improved since Occitanie

BiB is correct. It will have been taxed at source in the UK, but must be declared in France although it won't be taxed here. It is used to decide which tax band any other taxable income goes into.

That doesn't change the fact that  the TPA's bank sends it already converted  into Euros

I wonder why that would happen now? I've been receiving the pension into my CA account for at least two years.

I suspect that if it has to be paid in sterling CA will charge a fee - and maybe the exchange rate will be less favourable.

I will have to go and talk to someone, maybe make an appointment as the manager is often at another branch. The pension is due on 27th so I don't know if Teachers' Pensions will be sending it this month!

I suggest that you ring the TPA and see what they have to say, so that you have a clear idea from their side before you check with your bank.

It seems very odd that your bank would tell you about such a major change in circumstances without the TPA writing to you in advance to inform you. Good luck.

Just a suggestion by why not open a second  account with an "Internet" bank with which you can do all your transactions on line?

I use Boursorama and am very happy with them.
You have a card with which you can withdraw cash at  any dispenser, you can pay in cheques and  transfer funds as with any other bank.

You never have to go in and see anyone as they have no branches

The only thing you can't do is pay IN cash.

If you had an account like that already  open you could tell CA that if you hear any more of this nonsense you will transfer your pension payments to the new bank...

I could of course sponsor you and we would both  get a small sum [:)] BUT I  have to recommend you not to accept such offers from strangers on the Internet ...[:P]

To second NormanH, I have a Revolut card. Tx Sterling to it from my UK Bank and convert to Euros as current bank rate (no charges upto £1000 a month). All instant and so far working very well. Use the card in France without any problem.

They too offer a "parrainage" scheme, so if you don't like the look of NormanH's offer, I would be happy to take you on!! ;)

I didn't say the bank told me!

I said TP wrote saying my bank had written to them saying 'We ask that you no longer convert the GBP for this beneficiary'.

Checking again, TP also said 'Please note that all our overseas payment are made in local currency, not Sterling. So TP will only send in euros but CA has told them not to!