Hot air chip machines

Edward Trunk

That's a coincidence, I was looking at these last weekend in Darty (I think) and at around €150 or more I thought they were quite a lot for a heater and a stirrer.  The sales assistant came up and gave me a lot of waffle about how good they were, I didn't have the presence of mind to ask if she had one or not. Probably just a lot of hot air [:P]

We thought about one a while back but decided not in the end. Obviously I can't name a make but if it were me I would look on Amazon (UK) first at the reviews. One well known make is absolutely useless and very, very, dangerous, it actually catches fire. Bit like halogen 'desk top' ovens. A make that was being pushed recently on TV (has a three letter name like a now defunct UK sports shop) is actually totally useless. It's all down to bulb life and how easy they are to change. There are much better, at lower prices that even come with a spare lamp but I digress. I love Amazon for the reviews from users, you can spot the ones written by the manufacturer very easily.

[quote user="Edward Trunk"]Has anyone ever used one of these chip-makers that cooks with hot air and an eggcup-ful of oil? Mrs Trunk and myself are thinking of getting healthy for 2013 and we wondered what the chips made in this way tasted like?[/quote]

I've had a Philips Airfryer for a couple of years. It cooks more like a small, self-contained fan-oven than a fryer.

I paid around 150€ at the time, as Philips were doing all sorts of offers when they launched it.

It's a big and heavy thing, and the drawer has a basket with a metal grill at the bottom, which means the food does not sit in fat.

It has a basic timer and a thermostat, and the max temp is 200°C.

It cooks quickly and came with a booklet with plenty of suggested cooking times for all variations of spuds, chicken... etc...

I've never used it for "raw" chips, as I usually pre-cook the spuds, before cutting and spicing up ready for 'frying".

I also use it to 'fry' frozen ready-to-cook potatoes and it's great for that.

I get excellent results with chicken legs and sausages, as it crisps up the skin whilst the fat drains away from the meat.

With potatoes, you have to shake the basket 2 or 3 times during the 'frying' time, to ensure they all crisp up evenly.

At the time, I had seen the Tefal Actifry at a friend's house, and they were disappointed with it, so I decided to go with Philips...

I bought a Tefal Actifry from Argos a couple of weeks ago. It cost £119.

In my case I wanted to be able to have fried food without using a lot of fat or oil. I have to say that - so far - I'm very pleased with it. It came with a USB key with lots of recipes and I have downloaded the English versions onto my laptop. They range from chips to bolognaise sauce and from beef stroganoff to risotto - and there are several chicken dishes. I'm looking forward to trying them.

We have had a SEB Actifry machine for a couple of years now; bought it before they came down in price. I love it. Makes two good portions of chips in about 20 - 25 minutes. Not quite as crisp as done in a chip pan, but a very good alternative. It's starting to get a bit greasy now but I think that the parts can go into a dish washer (we don't have one). I usually just wipe it out with kitchen roll and give it a wash every now and then.

Regards Hester.

• 3 weeks later...

[quote user="powerdesal"]There's nothing wrong with chips as part of a healthy lifestyle, as long as you deep fry them in beef dripping and don't have too many too often.[/quote]

Actually duck fat is by far the best. It's all about cholesterol in the fat and duck fat has so little people often say it has none at at all. I have been eating duck and using its fat to cook with for many years in France as I won't touch their beef with a barge pole and duck is far more healthier for you not to mention nicer to eat.

[quote user="powerdesal"]Q, whilst I agree that cooking in duck fat makes fantastic roast potatoes, I think it would be very difficult to get enough duck fat for a deep fat fryer.[/quote]

Our local Carrefour flogs it along with goose fat in big plastic tubs. When I say big I mean a couple of kilos per tub.