Royal Hospital Nurse Hoax victim takes her own life

Frederick

• Replies 237
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[quote user="Frederick"]The Aussie radio station web site is still bragging about what a great stunt it was !   I think somebody should ring up the station owner get him out of bed and tell him his day at work  is probably going to be his last .
[/quote]

Probably not - have a look at:

http://www.change.org/en-AU/petitions/2day-and-fox-fm-sponsors-cancel-advertising-until-kyle-sandilands-is-dumped-from-radio-vilekyle

Seems anything goes

Let's not judge too quickly. We don't know if the nurse committed suicide. If she did we don't know that it had anything to do with the hoax. Unfortunately suicide happens all too often for a myriad of reasons. It is all too easy to jump to conclusions.

[quote user="Rabbie"]Let's not judge too quickly. We don't know if the nurse committed suicide. If she did we don't know that it had anything to do with the hoax. Unfortunately suicide happens all too often for a myriad of reasons. It is all too easy to jump to conclusions.[/quote]

We do because they have just said so on C4 News and BBC World News about 5 minutes ago. However your right about the hoax, we will have to see if she left any message although the head chap at the hospital did say that they had been counseling her over the hoax call. However as you say it is a bit early to say if the hoax is what caused her to take such a drastic action. I understand the two DJ's have been suspended until further notice (C4 News).

For whatever cause they made this woman look like a fool in most of the world's media. Someone will remember the Shakespeare quote about a good name being the most precious thing we have better than I do.

They may have been after someone famous, but they were completely thoughtless about the effect it might have on a ordinary working woman doing her job.

Hoddy

[quote user="Hoddy"]For whatever cause they made this woman look like a fool in most of the world's media. Someone will remember the Shakespeare quote about a good name being the most precious thing we have better than I do.

They may have been after someone famous, but they were completely thoughtless about the effect it might have on a ordinary working woman doing her job.

Hoddy[/quote]

They didn't make this woman look a fool. She didn't disclose the information, she only put them through to the ward, and another nurse disclosed the information.

As I say, I think there is a lot more to the stability of the nurse who did suicide, there must have been many other issues, and this perhaps sent her over the edge.

I spent 25 years of my life in the NHS many as fairly senior management.

Anyone who seriously believes that she hadn't been taken to task by some manager in that hospital is dreaming. The whole system is based on a 'blame someone else - cover my own ar se' situation.

Its just so sad.

[quote user="Bugsy"]I spent 25 years of my life in the NHS many as fairly senior management. Anyone who seriously believes that she hadn't been taken to task by some manager in that hospital is dreaming. The whole system is based on a 'blame someone else - cover my own ar se' situation. Its just so sad.[/quote]

But this wasn't NHS - it was a private hospital. The hospital management have said that they were giving the nurse support. It may be, of course, that this is a post hoc position that they have adopted.

The real problem here is the fact that a healthy married woman of child bearing age becoming pregnant should be considered newsworthy.

[quote user="Clarkkent"]

The real problem here is the fact that a healthy married woman of child bearing age becoming pregnant should be considered newsworthy.

[/quote]

Yeah, and if either member of that couple where he's in his 90's and she's in her late 80's dies, let's hope the press see it for what it is, eh?[;-)]

[quote user="You can call me Betty"][quote user="Clarkkent"]

[/quote]

Yeah, and if either member of that couple where he's in his 90's and she's in her late 80's dies, let's hope the press see it for what it is, eh?[;-)]
[/quote]

And perhaps we could then become a Republic.

[quote user="Clarkkent"] 

[/quote]

Surely "you" already are?[8-)]

Come the revolution, I'll be there long before the majority.  We get free entry to Windsor Castle, so I've been casing the joint for years [:D]

Wow! What a shameful display and complete lack of compassion on this forum.

My heartfelt sympathies go out to the family, friends and colleagues of Jacintha.

You know what - in some cultures, personal reputation is a core value that drives behaviour. Sadly, in this case, it resulted in a tragic loss of life.

Chiefluvvie

Clarkkent wrote:

Perhaps you would care to show us what you think would be the benefits of a Republic.

Perhaps a President like TB with the wicked witch as 'first lady'

Perhaps you think it would be cheaper, how soon would a Presidential plane, Presidential yacht, Presidential this and that be the order of the day.

Would a President be happy to be a figurehead with no real governmental power?

Would the Military be happy to swear loyalty to a President ?

[quote user="Chiefluvvie"]Wow! What a shameful display and complete lack of compassion on this forum.[/quote]

Some people shouldn't be let near a keyboard until they have read whats on the screen. Whilst there may be a few comments from the 'Republicans' amongst us about members of the royal family which they are quite within their rights to make NOBODY has shown ANY lack of compassion towards the poor woman who killed herself. Some might have asked if this prank was the real reason which at the time with no statement from anyone about why she took her life they are also entitled to ask but even that is not showing a complete lack of compassion . If you read a lot of the posts carefully it is actually the opposite.

It seems to me that a mature nation should be able to select its own figurehead rather than be saddled with someone whose only qualification was birth.

When people look at republican systems they tend to imagine that executive presidencies, like those existing in the USA and France, are the only type. Just because the USA has an expensive presidential infrastructure it doesn't mean that every has to have one. One problem with the American presidency is that its legal basis, the Constitution, is an archaic mess - a rather ramshackle set of provisions designed for an earlier time - which pits the executive into a constant struggle with the legislature for the exercise of power.

Non-executive presidencies - such as those in Germany and Ireland - are can be equally appropriate. The idea that a GB presidency would be a vehicle to provide absolute power to a faded politician is misguided. I would hope that a GB president would be elected on the basis of his or her humanity, and I see no reason why, if there were a vacancy at the present time, Mrs Elizabeth Mountbatten should not offer herself as a candidate.

Getting back to the subject of this thread:

This tragic situation may not have happened if the media hadn't decided that a pregnancy should be a reason for a circus, and if "clever" radio presenters in Australia hadn't thought it was an opportunity for a jolly jape.

As others have pointed out, we don't know what else was happning in Jacintha's life, but if this prank were the prime reason, then our obsession with private details of other's private lives is a major contribution.

This woman got her UK nurse registration in 2003. She landed a job in a prestigious London hospital where she had accommodation for her work time and then went home to her family on her days off. I expect it would have been important to her that she had been successful in another country and that she was setting her children an example of hard work producing success.

In a few minutes of frivolity someone ruined that for her. That she would only have taken it very badly if she had 'issues' is a rather arrogant suggestion. Only she could know what really mattered to her. It really isn't all right to humiliate someone so publicly. I'm glad my mistakes weren't newsworthy.

Hoddy

[quote user="Chiefluvvie"]Wow! What a shameful display and complete lack of compassion on this forum.

My heartfelt sympathies go out to the family, friends and colleagues of Jacintha.

You know what - in some cultures, personal reputation is a core value that drives behaviour. Sadly, in this case, it resulted in a tragic loss of life.

Chiefluvvie[/quote]

Hey, thanks for stopping by. How DO we all manage to conduct ourselves appropriately without you?

Is it very difficult to breathe up there on your pedestal?