French postcodes - a map?

Kitty

Or this:

http://www.laposte.fr/Particulier/Utilisez-nos-outils-pratiques/Outils-et-documents/Trouvez-un-code-postal

Which gives you the communes covered by a particular code (which you can then find on a map) as well as the codes for any commune.

Edit: Also found this one, which is a bit more cumbersome to use, but nearer to what you asked for. You put in a post code, to get the list of communes, and you can then click on the link for each commune which will show it on a Google map.

http://www.geonames.org/postal-codes/codes-postaux-france.html

Thank you Will and Christine.  Between them, I am getting what I need, even if they aren't on a map as such.

I have been trying to look for a house on LeBonCoin.fr, which frustratingly (unlike eBay) does not have a very good local geographical search facility.

I thought that if there was a map of postcodes near where I live, it would help me search.  Both your ideas are usable - thanks.

I think your problenm is that whereas a British postcode pinpoints a particular street or even an individual building, in France each code can cover a wide geographical area, often including a small town and several surrounding villages. So I think the above links are the best you are going to be able to get without more address details.

Thanks for helping Will.  I appreciate it.

I had been hoping to find a map of France to click on and find the postcode of that particular commune.  I thought that because French postcodes are for a larger area that the UK, it would be possible.

I'll keep looking.  Surely someone must have mapped the communes and codes?

Great website, Clair.  Thank you.

For the website that you link, however, you do have to know the names of the communes.  Now I know our departement pretty well but as it has the biggest surface area in France, there are a number of communes that I am still discovering.

I am looking for a property to buy in the surrounding area and not knowing the postcodes on a site like LeBonCoin is a big disadvantage.

I've spent a great deal of tonight again looking for a map, still with no success.  I really cannot believe that there isn't one!

[quote user="Cathy"]Great website, Clair.  Thank you.

I am looking for a property to buy in the surrounding area and not knowing the postcodes
[/quote]

Aren't all the villages in your surrounding area the same postcode (as they are where I live)?

If you're in the middle of an area, yes. But, for example, although we are 50640, it's only a very short distance to 50140, 53190 or 50600, and if I was looking for a house in the general neighbourhood I would certainly be interested in any of the above, or more.

[quote user="Cathy"]Great website, Clair.  Thank you.

For the website that you link, however, you do have to know the names of the communes.  Now I know our departement pretty well but as it has the biggest surface area in France, there are a number of communes that I am still discovering.

[/quote]

I think you may have overlooked the fact that the site in Clair's link accepts postcodes as well as commune names. You only have to select the departement and on the susequent page feed in the postcode from LeBonCoin.

• 8 months later...
[quote user="ernie"]

Google it :

code postal+ 79000

for example

Ernie[/quote]

Amazing how a thread comes back again after being dormant.  That's what I do Ernie.  But it's time consuming.  Since this thread was started, I do now know all the codes for my surrounding communes off by heart.

Well Cathy, you know what they say : “A good thread never dies”. *

As Google is usually open, by copying and pasting, I get the results quite quickly.  It’s for leboncoin, where you must know where the stuff is.

In fact, there is a site as you describe, but I can’t remember where it is (Thanks Ernie !),

Ernie

(*They don’t say, I made that up)