a question for all you financial gurus out there

Antonia

When we first moved to France we used the services of a Financial Advisor. Over the years, due to various reasons irrelevant to this thread, all bar one of our investments have reverted to our direct control. The remaining one 'managed' by our former advisor is a, now defunct, Assurance Vie. It's gains are minimal and I would like to keep as much of them as possible by removing the 'management fee'. My question is this, can I just write to the Assurance Vie direct and say XXX is no longer my Financial Advisor and could they please stop paying them? I know the French have a great affection for their 'conseillers'. Do I have the right to continue owning the Assurance Vie without the F.A., who originally set it up, as an intermediary? I'm not looking for another advisor, I simple don't feel I need their services anymore.

Antonia wrote the following post at 03 Jul 2021 10:44:

When we first moved to France we used the services of a Financial Advisor.

What's a defunct Assur Vie ?

Are there funds in this Assur Vie ?

Management charges are charged on all Assur Vie .. as the company you hold the AV with are providing a service.

So .. are you paying 2 lots of charges - one to the AV company and another lot to this 'advisor' ?

I described the Assurance Vie as 'defunct' as it is no longer actively marketed. I'm not sure what the correct term would be for that. It does hold funds and currently both the company that provided it & the Financial Advisor receive a percentage for managing it. If I want to make a withdrawal I have to go through the F.A. and I'd much rather be able to do that myself.

Antonia wrote the following post at 04 Jul 2021 13:03:

If I want to make a withdrawal I have to go through the F.A. and I'd much rather be able to do that myself.

Online there are many sites which discuss legal questions .. for free.

The difficult part is phrasing the question on Google to reflect your particular query.

Have a go as there is an amazing amount of genuine advice by experts out there.

Edit: I was going to suggest contacting the financial advisor .. but he might be economical with the truth in his reply.