Pistorius

Gardian

Its a media and public opinion circus isn't it?  Hardly presenting RSA in its best light.

Apart from wondering how good an idea it was for someone to blast away with a pistol at the loo door because he thought there might be a burglar in there (his story), I just find myself amazed as to why there should be any debate over bail?

What seems not to be in dispute is that there has been a tragic death and the perpetrator is in custody. Ultimately, a jury will decide on the 'level' of guilt etc.

But surely bail is inappropriate, if for no other reason than that Pistorius must be a suicide risk if not in custody and on 24hr watch? 

[quote user="NormanH"]I fail to understand the absurd amount of coverage given to this case.

[/quote]

The thing is that this makes ideal sensationalist TV; celebrity + model, "tragic death", and now the bail hearing has turned into a car crash - right in front of the cameras.

Its a mess really and quite laughable. It's bordering on being similar to the OJ Simpson saga. The copper who arrested him has been charged for seven counts of attempted murder then asked in court if he speaks English, bloodied baseball bat, drugs, the list goes on. I can see a best selling book and film come out of this when it's all over. Bet the defence lawyer is rubbing his or her hands together thinking about all the money they will make defending him.

[quote user="Gardian"]

Its a media and public opinion circus isn't it?  Hardly presenting RSA in its best light. [/quote]

I totally agree. My first thought (hardly original) was that he didn't have a leg to stand on. I find it very hard to understand why the defence is presenting its case at what is supposed to be a bail hearing and that witnesses are being cross-examined and their evidence is being disparaged.

[quote user="Gardian"]

..... Ultimately, a jury will decide on the 'level' of guilt etc.

[/quote]

I thought I heard that there are no jury trials in South Africa - all decisions are made by judges. This suggests that politically-expedient decisions may be a possibility.

Like others, I am at a loss to know why this should lead news bulletins.

[quote user="idun"]I don't understand it either. And I had heard that Judges will decide his fate when he comes to trial as there are no jury trials in RSA.
[/quote]South Africa stopped jury trials some time ago because it was thought an all-white jury would not give a black person a fair trial.

I suspect that while Pistorius is guilty of manslaughter he is not guilty of pre-meditated murder.  It does seem from what one of his friends said that he has changed in character after becoming a successful athlete. Whether this due to side effects of drugs or just success going to his head is not clear at present

[quote user="NickP"]Sorry Rabbie, one shot possibly manslaughter, but four; no way got to be at least murder, even if you're firing at an intruder. Pre-meditated we don't know enough facts yet.[/quote]

Also he lives in a gated, secure compound along with other residents which is patrolled and guarded with armed guards on duty 24/7. They have not had any intruders before either.

[quote user="Quillan"]

Also he lives in a gated, secure compound along with other residents which is patrolled and guarded with armed guards on duty 24/7. They have not had any intruders before either.

[/quote]

though they have had multiple call-outs to previous domestic disputes at the property . . .

I have a lot of problems with this whole story. I hope a very good autopsy is done, because I don't 'get' the shots through the door.

If the first shot hit, then surely she would have cried out and maybe fallen. She couldn't have been dead and remained stood up......... could she????? So if she fell how could he know to actually hit her with the other shots with the door closed. Also I have read that one cartridge was outside the bathroom, three in the bathroom. And I'm not sure of the implications of that either......... he shot the gun into the corridor before the other shots? How would she react to that, keep quiet or scream blue murder, if I had kept quiet I probably would have curled up in the corner of the shower, or in the bath. And why would he shoot in the corridor?..... to unlock the door?............

As I said, I don't understand it. And I apparently have read too many detective novels[:$]

And thinking about it, if ever I was in a situation where I was going to shoot someone, I would probably keep shooting.

[quote user="NickP"]Sorry Rabbie, one shot possibly manslaughter, but four; no way got to be at least murder, even if you're firing at an intruder. Pre-meditated we don't know enough facts yet.[/quote]Apology accepted[:)]. I don't think I made myself clear/ I meant at the absolute minimum he was guilty of manslaughter but as you say it could well be murder even if not premeditated.

A friend who is a retired policeman told me once that in stabbing cases the more wounds the less premeditated it was as many wounds was often indicative of the stabber just lashing out while a single fatal wound showed premeditation. But of course each case is different.

Stop press.  I have just seen on the BBC website that he has been given bail.

It was reported in the press today that he held a memorial service at his uncle's house for the girl he killed.  Somehow, that makes me feel it was PR advice to improve his image - or perhaps I'm a tad cynical.

The other thing which worries me - if I were in bed with my lover and heard noises which made me think there was an intruder, would I grab my gun and without looking at my lover to see if she had heard it too or without telling her to stay put while I dealt with it, get out of bed and go to the bathroom and fire 4 shots through the door?

Thibault - I thought that too-If you are in bed with someone and you here a noise then the first thing you would do is check if your bedfellow is still there or is it them making the noise. in fact that was the first thing I said to my OH.