No signs of Spring brings record

woolybanana

I have to say I think it has been pretty mild down here compared to previous years. We had a couple of dusting's of snow and then a minor dump (5cm) but it all went within 48 hours. I have also noticed that the minimum  temperature has only dropped to -2 deg once, we would normally expect to see lower temperature, -15 and below for longer period. Last Friday I was in the garden working in just a tee shirt and the outside temp was 19 deg. We have had quite a bit of rain mind. I read that at the beginning of February we had already had all the spring rain. The garden is a bit waterlogged and nobody is digging theirs round here and all in a bit of a panic about getting their spuds in and the Dutch living here are really panicking about their spuds. [;-)]

We've been here a bit leass than normal because of family things in UK. But thinking of last February compared with this year, it's nowhere near as bad. No frozen river for 2 weeks, no frozen fountain in the main square for 2 weeks, no water meters exploding due to lack of insulation, even at the second time of replacing within a fortnight!

This lovely sunshine has brought the birds out - they are very busy, some with twigs in their beaks. No sign of local asparagus - and we leave for about 4 weeks in a couple of days!

But I was told by somebody at the market this morning that I must

make sure I wear tights under my trousers when we travel to UK; she was

in London last week, and couldn't believe how cold it was; here it's

been -0 overnight, but at 11.8 in the shade at the moment. I know I will miss this lovely sunshine and blue sky!

Here in the UK it has definitely been a very dark winter even if we have not had much cold weather. There was a  week in january with snow and frost and last week we had some frosty nights. But mostly it has been very overcast, no sun and a biting north wind which coupled to the high humidity and a temperature of +2C has made things fairly depressing.

The lack of sun is noticable on the meter readings from our solar panels which are well down on the same period last year.

It has been one of the best winters ever for being able to sit out at lunchtime in the sun for lunch.

Yesterday and today I was in a short shirt sleeve, and I have been able to do the same at least 20 times in the last two months, sometimes keeping a jumper on.

Admittedly this is out of the wind and in a bit of a suntrap terrace, but I have never known so many nice days in  January and February.

We had the one afternoon of snow, which lasted until lunchtime the next day.

[IMG]http://i253.photobucket.com/albums/hh80/bfb_album/winterSun_zpscff4900b.png[/IMG]

12° might not sound very warm, but the direct sun has real power in it down here.

And I needed sunglasses just to look at his post!  Lucky Norman!

Here, we have had bright sunshine all day but, although the sun is quite high in the sky, it doesn't seem to be giving out much heat [:(]  Still perishing indoors and the only warm place is the veranda and even there it's only about 22 (in full sun, under glass).

I don't think that I have noticed less sun this winter but it's definitely been really cold. Had a fall of snow which lasted 2 nights and a day only last week.  The thermometer temperatures don't look that bad, say, minus 4 to about plus 3or 4.  But it's the "ressentie" temperatures; they are quite a few degrees lower than the recorded ones.

In fact, I have just come in from sawing down some branches from a dead tree:  got to keep doing "stuff" to keep warm.

Norman, your weather sounds very like what we've been having since we arrived back in the Gard about 3 weeks ago. We've had only 2 days when we haven't been able to sit out on our balcony -  very sheltered from the wind and facing due south. A couple of times we've had to put the awning out as it's been a bit too hot.

Mind you, it's bitterly cold in the shade when wandering in to town early on, but the joy of the warmth of the sun when sitting with a hot chocolate on a café terrace or on our balcony! Our usual café has shaped blankets on seats for customers to wrap round themselves during the winter, and I've seen very few in use apart from some used on the chair bases to keep bottoms more cosy.  [:)]

We (About 40 mins away from NormanH) have not had it quite as sunny as in Beziers - we have had some sun, clear nights with very cold winds, two lots of snow, fortunately here not lasting long, some rain (though the beds are dug and OH was talking about planting seeds today), but a lot of cloudier weather  - the famous marin ... which has  been colder than usual.  Compared with last Feb, which GardenGirl correctly remembers as a fortnight of bitter cold below freezing weather for the first two weeks of Feb, it has at least warmed up during the day, but the wind here has caused it too feel less warm.  Rain, well it has rained, but mainly at night (Lovely - Camelot!!) but it has seemed much greyer due to the marin.  We've managed to sit out only twice, but we have no wind protection so it has to be good before we do.

Today, very nice, I took but did not wear my anorak when out in the car, and at last I do feel it is warmer up a little.  But I would expect it to be doing that by now regardless of forecasts.

Here we go again, another sunny day with no warmth from the sun and a bitingly cold wind.

Did get warm in woods walking the dog but I couldn't stand waiting for her whilst she dug around as it was just too cold to be stationary.  Eventually had to put her lead on and practically drag her home[:(]

Now I'm off to do the ironing as, at least, that is a job near a heat source![I]