Can European peoples be trusted to vote the right way?

woolybanana

The tone of this article seems to blame the voters of Italy for not sticking their little crosses where the leaders of Europe wanted. Thus implying that they are a problem. Perhaps we might ask whether these powerful figures might be considering either that only their approved candidates should be allowed to stand for election or that really democracy is a bit of a waste of energy. Haven't we been here before? I draw your attention to the fact that is a German magazine.

Personally I think the Italian result is a triumph for voting with the heart.

http://www.spiegel.de/international/europe/european-union-leaders-worry-that-italian-election-may-spur-crisis-a-885816.html

All politicians hate it when the public don't vote the way they want them to vote. I have seen one or two over they years and found their comments rather patronising, like they are professionals (at what I can never work out) and the public are idiots and should only be allowed in a voting booth if they are accompanied. Some would even prefer if the public just didn't vote.

I'm coming round to the idea that people should have to earn their right to vote. No idea how to execute it, but there should be some sort of test that you'd need to pass in order to be declared competent enough to vote.

On the other side of the coin, there should also be tests that politicians should have to take to declare them worthy of such a position too!

Well there are courses for all new cabinet ministers. Blair said it was up to individual ministers if they attended where as Cameron said it was obligatory. There is a degree course run by the Civil Service for ministerial aids to teach them how to deal with ministers (I kid you not, it's like Yes Minister). Can't find the original source about ministers but there is some outline information about course content for the civil servants. Below is chapter one of the course notes.

http://www.civilservant.org.uk/c1.pdf

I also think 'intelligence testing' should be obligatory for both voters and budding politicians.

[quote user="ebaynut"]

So if people should need to undergo a test to determine if they have earned the right and are suitable to vote, would they also need to undergo a test to see if they had earned the right to pay tax ??

[/quote]

They already do, its called having a job. [;-)] Actually I don't think those claiming long term benefits due to not working (as opposed to those disabled) should have a vote. If you have put nothing in to society why should you have a vote.

Think also on the situation in the Kingdom where most of us have lived or are living, that it's citizens, if Dave gets in, will be given a simple yes or no vote to stay in or get out of the EU.

Will you trust the voters who regularly put EastEnders, Coronation Street, Top Gear and the Undateables at the top of TV viewing figures to come to an informed and considered opinion on this topic?

It makes me shudder.

I can't now remember what year it was, but I saw Ken Clarke on TV, looking a little 'tired and emotional, basically saying that anyone who had voted Green was stupid.

I had, so I was stupid.

I wrote to Ken Clarke and received a load of glossy brochures explaining how environmentally friendly the government was.

Did Greece choose its present government ?

What really makes me cross is when it's said that we get the government we deserve. I don't; I've been a good girl.

Hoddy

Hoddy

The 'good' Greeks left the country years ago.

Girls who are good are either just very good at hiding what they have really been up to or boring.

Back on topic; I reckon that, as in France, certain crimes should warrant the removal of civic rights, such as voting. Eg: defrauding the social security system, tax fiddling, various types of fraud and violent crime. Voting Green!!![6]

[quote user="Benjamin"]Think also on the situation in the Kingdom where most of us have lived or are living, that it's citizens, if Dave gets in, will be given a simple yes or no vote to stay in or get out of the EU.

Will you trust the voters who regularly put EastEnders, Coronation Street, Top Gear and the Undateables at the top of TV viewing figures to come to an informed and considered opinion on this topic?

It makes me shudder.

[/quote]

Which backs up my point of perhaps there should be a test. How can people make an informed choice on who to vote for if people really don't have a clue about how government works. And I'd say most people don't. Some still vote for whatever mummy and daddy voted for.

At the very least, include a course on government in school.

[quote user="woolybanana"]

I reckon that, as in France, certain crimes should warrant the removal of civic rights, such as voting. Eg: defrauding the social security system, tax fiddling, various types of fraud and violent crime. Voting Green!!![6]

[/quote]

Plus watching EastEnders, Coronation Street, Top Gear and the Undateables, of course! [:D]

ebaynut wrote:

So if people should need to undergo a test to determine if they have earned the right and are suitable to vote, would they also need to undergo a test to see if they had earned the right to pay tax ??

They already do, its called having a job.

I did not know you needed a job to pay tax. I thought Tax was paid every time you buy an item, petrol is a prime example.

[quote user="nomoss"][quote user="woolybanana"]

I reckon that, as in France, certain crimes should warrant the removal of civic rights, such as voting. Eg: defrauding the social security system, tax fiddling, various types of fraud and violent crime. Voting Green!!![6]

[/quote]

Plus watching EastEnders, Coronation Street, Top Gear and the Undateables, of course! [:D]

[/quote]It's quite simple. Only people who share my views should be allowed to vote[6]

[quote user="Renaud"]The Swiss have all kinds of compulsory local and national referendums, so vote the whole time. How is it that they have about the best economy in Europe? Perhaps by asking the people.[/quote]

Its by not spending a fortune on  all the  whizzy  banging stuff  needed to go off and fight those they have not yet asked to come and live with them .

[quote user="nomoss"]

[quote user="Mr Ceour de Lion II"] there should be some sort of test that you'd need to pass in order to be declared competent enough to vote.

[/quote]

There was in UK until 1918[:D]

[/quote]

Despite the various interpretations offered, the point of the 1918 date is that that is when property qualifications ceased to confer voting rights in the UK.

Nothing at all to do with womens' voting rights.[:D]

I got a bit cross, after the last UK election, when the TV pundits kept telling us over and over that "the people have voted for a coalition" or words to that effect.

OK, hands up. Who voted for a coalition? I didn't even see that option on a ballot paper.