Is the Euro fulfilling it's promise?

just john

No, not her! And, Benjamin, my apologies...I am confined to a b#%}? iPad at the moment and apart from the dialogue box for replies being the size of a postage stamp ( yes, I can make it bigger, but it is still awkward), the b#%*€>^? Autocorrect is a law unto itself. Random capitalisation and the transformation of everyday words into complete nonsense are the order of the day,

[quote user="just john "]

[quote user="Russethouse"]  the thing (euro) which surrounded moving to France has shrunk considerably. . .[/quote]

My association with France goes back decades, for holidays and some idea of a bolthole for family holidays and even possible retirement, not now though;
it's the euro which has shrunk considerably as RH says; Where is the success? worse yet, has the euro not failed in every sense that has any degree of uniting the constituent people, who are every bit as disparate and even more unhappy than they ever were?
I wonder how many would quietly wish that they had remained outside, Cyprus certainly, Portugal, Ireland, Greece, Spain, Italy, even France . . . I see such unhappy states.
Who are not happy to blame the euro? . . .

I'm with Max  One-nastiest-immoral-political-acts-modern-times

[/quote]

In a strange way it has a bit. Now all these countries have the same currency it is easy to see discrepancies between them. Why is a coffee 2.30 in one country. 1.0 in another. Why do you get paid more in on country for doing the same job in another etc, etc. However it does not fix social problems which is part of the reason Salmond wants Scotland independent. He seems to think it is the rest of the UK that is bringing his country down and that life inside Scotland would be much better if they left the union. Unfortunately he is living in a different world because regardless of what he says it won't make a difference. If you look just at a country, any country, with one currency you see deprived areas, rich areas, areas with no jobs and those areas with loads. With the Eurozone we just see it in a much bigger way. Instead of drilling down to regional areas like you do inside the UK, France or wherever you are looking at countries as a whole. Even Germany has some very bad areas with mass unemployment and poverty. Another thing the Euro has done is shown who is corrupt and who isn't. Countries have to answer to the ECB and they want to know where the money has gone, in the case of Italy and Greece in to a lot of political pockets and not where it should have gone.

I don't think anyone ever said or thought that the Euro would fix all the problems but it does highlight countries that do have problems and hopefully in time they can be fixed. The Euro is only 11 years old when it comes to a physical currency and like giving birth to anything there will always be a lot of pain and adjustment, one only has to look at the early days of the US Dollar. All that aside the Euro is the second most traded currency after the dollar (percentage wise there is only a slight difference) n the world and Sterling is forth (Japanese Yen is third). Likewise it is the second out of the four currencies whose 'weight' is used to calculate the IMF "special drawing rights". So the world sees it as an important currency which is why it would never be allowed to fail.