Massive rush for work in UK

nomoss

[quote user="NormanH"]Amazing how the Daily Mail can twist the news of the monumental cockup which is the universal credits into yet another attack on the unemployed.

[/quote]

Was the previous cockup better, then? At least you're going down with a fight! [:D]

Even the Daily Mail says that the number is 'dramatically lower' than the government expected.

I'm not sure when we started to subsidise wages; it seems obvious to me that anyone who puts in a full week of work ought to earn enough to support him/her self without help from the taxpayer. Otherwise it seems to me that the government is just subsidising businesses which don't pay enough. Or is that too simple ?

Hoddy

[quote user="Russethouse"]

Can you be better off to stay at home and do nothing and live on state benefit year in year out, rather than take a job paying an average wage, in France.

[/quote]

I don't know,as I have never tried in either country.

I very much doubt that the majority of people who stand in judgement have any first-hand experience either.

It is always urban myth stuff  'My brother knows someone who told him....' or journalistic exaggeration that doesn't stand up to detailed scrutiny, as was the case in my recent thread about a similar story in France

When the maths are done by someone who knows the system the truth is rather different.

http://services.completefrance.com/forums/completefrance/cs/forums/2884809/ShowPost.aspx

The sort of scummy hacks who write this are  journalistic whores,  putting out titillating fantasies to stir up base feelings and divert attention from where the real scandals are.

Has anyone who posts here ever been in a position where the total of any benefits received would exceed income from working?

Or is it just something read in the paper or talked about in the pub?

Norman, I can quote cases of people living off the system, there are many many more than you will ever admit to. For example, now, the lady who claims benefit in UK but has a full time job in a bar near here.

It has become a way of life for many because they have not been taught that not working or trying to work is not an option.

[quote user="Russethouse"]

Can you be better off to stay at home and do nothing and live on state benefit year in year out, rather than take a job paying an average wage, in France.

[/quote]

I think, not sure, unemployment benefit is only paid in France for a limited time, depending on how long you worked and contributed before becoming unemployed.

A bit like my ex son-in-law then. He pays £5 per week for my two grand daughters that is £2.50 each. He was claiming unemployment benefit until I reported him.

We all know that he is working, but because my daughter works hard and claims no benefits they seem not to care. The French are very fortunate to have such good early years provision.

I still don't think there are as many scroungers as the Daily Mail would have us believe, as I've already said, the numbers who have quickly found employment is dramatically lower than they predicted.

The bottom line is that there aren't enough jobs.

Hoddy

[quote user="Hoddy"]Why is Sharon Minkin's husband not paying maintenance for his children ? Could this be another example of the inefficiency of the CSA which is a government agency I think should be closed down ?

Hoddy[/quote]

The CSA is being closed down isn't it?

I think it's being replaced with another service which is bound to be equally inefficient though.......but the intention is to get people to make private arrangements as part of their divorce as I understand it.

[quote user="Hoddy"]Even the Daily Mail says that the number is 'dramatically lower' than the government expected.

I'm not sure when we started to subsidise wages; it seems obvious to me that anyone who puts in a full week of work ought to earn enough to support him/her self without help from the taxpayer. Otherwise it seems to me that the government is just subsidising businesses which don't pay enough. Or is that too simple ?

Hoddy[/quote]

Its a lot of the ones that have been putting in a full week of work to earn enough to support themselves .Plus taking from the tax payer that have been caught out by this new system and decided they can  now no longer use the complaint  they declared that's kept the benefit coming in . The genuine ones still get their  support and more if needed as I know new money and  plans are in place to give further assistance in the home .

[quote user="Hoddy"]A bit like my ex son-in-law then. He pays £5 per week for my two grand daughters that is £2.50 each. He was claiming unemployment benefit until I reported him. We all know that he is working, but because my daughter works hard and claims no benefits they seem not to care. The French are very fortunate to have such good early years provision. I still don't think there are as many scroungers as the Daily Mail would have us believe, as I've already said, the numbers who have quickly found employment is dramatically lower than they predicted. The bottom line is that there aren't enough jobs. Hoddy[/quote]

I'm sorry, but you seem to have misread the article. It says the number of people affected by the cap has dropped, not those who have found employment

Here is what the part of the article you quoted actually says:

A DWP source said: ‘We have sent out letters to people three times this year if they were going to be affected by the benefits cap.

‘A lot of those people are going back to work. The number who are going to be affected is dramatically lower than we once thought.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/society/2013/mar/31/churches-ministers-perpetuating-myths-poverty

"the four churches accused politicians and the media of promoting six

myths about the poor: that they are lazy; that they are addicted to

drink or drugs; that they are not really poor; that they cheat the

system
; that they have an easy life; and that they caused the deficit."

In a nutshell I would say [:)]

Yes Norman but there are some who do abuse the system just like those that abuse the invalidity payments but that is not to say everyone is abusing the system. It's not just a simple case of they all are not abusing the system neither is it the other way round.

... and on the other hand...

(sorry for the clumsy dead link.[:(])

http://www.independent.co.uk/voices/comment/the-poor-spend-all-the-money-isnt-it-obvious-8553643.html?fb_action_ids=10151646850711874&fb_action_types=og.likes&fb_source=other_multiline&action_object_map={%2210151646850711874%22%3A138831219629439}&action_type_map={%2210151646850711874%22%3A%22og.likes%22}&action_ref_map=[]