EHIC refusal

woolybanana

I saw a warning about this about 10 days ago either on this or another forum. It seems that the Spanish Health ministry are not very efficient at sending the british contributions received on behalf of EHIC holders to the doctors/hospitals. They thus think the british don't pay.

I am rather doubtful about the accuracy of this article.

To get treatment under the EHIC in Spain you have first to make sure you go to a Social Security operated facility, and that you require treatment for an accident or emergency - the facility decides whether or not this is the case, not you.

In case of emergency you should go to the nearest CAP (Centro de Atencion Primaria). These provide accident and emergency treatment, often up to a high level, are found in even small towns, are well signposted, and will arrange transfer to a hospital if necessary.

If you think you may require some treatment on your spanish holiday it might be worth Googling "cap" plus the name of the town(s) to be visited, and noting appropriate addresses before you depart.

For example "cap roses" gives 3 results showing the address, the third even has a map http://www.castelloempuriabrava.com/fr/info/services-publics/cap-dispensaires-et-hopitaux/centre-medical-cap-roses.html

Most, if not all "Medical Centres" - usually named "Centro Medico de .... " plus a proper name, are private, and you will have to pay.

In the case of a serious road accident you will probably be taken to the nearest hospital by the emergency services. Some areas don't have a S.Sec. hospital within easy reach, so you will be in the same situation as a local in similar circumstances as to whether you accept treatment at the nearest facility or insist on going to a S.Sec hospital.

You will pay the same as the nationals. For example, you will get free treatment in France, reimbursed up to around 70 per cent, up to a certain ceiling.

Free treatment plus 70% cashback, happy days [:D][:D]

My maths isnt so good, what is 70% of nothing?

Why is it that I end up paying 30% of something?

[quote user="Chancer"]

You will pay the same as the nationals. For example, you will get free treatment in France, reimbursed up to around 70 per cent, up to a certain ceiling.

[/quote]

I noticed that, too, but the whole article is so badly written I didn't think it was worth mentioning.

Unfortunately it seems a typical example of what now passes for journalism.