Supprise - I didn't think they had it in them to do this

Quillan

Why are you surprised, Quillan? These riots started amongst people not of Swedish origin who feel they are not getting their share of the cake or the respect they are due. The true cause is uncontrolled and badly managed immigration. UK, France, Germany, Greece, Italy all have the same problems more or less.

We may yet see more of this.

Well I did write my comment somewhat tongue in cheek.

You are quite right, with rising unemployment throughout Europe we will see this sort of thing more and more in most countries. People often see Sweden as a nice calm quiet country, I mean its the home if Ikea, such nice gentle people. My point is that it is happening all over and we are all 'hurting'. It has gone beyond party politics now and to some extent even member states within the EU. In short it is time the EU parliament got it's ar*e in to gear and come up with a plan to create jobs EU wide especially for the youth of it's member states.

You keep your tongue in your own cheek, Q, you Norman you!

Europe wide initiatives may well not work as nation states are turning in on themselves in frustration at the failure of Europe. It may well tear the EU apart, though I hope not as there is some good in it. Like banning open olive oïl bowls on tables in the middle of a depression.

Now then, my tongue  has not wandered that far from home.

By the way, try speaking with your tongue in you cheek, very painful!

No young Swedes doing this then???? 

Why would asylum seekers do this???? If they couldn't be bothered to 'fight' in their own country to improve their 'rights', why would they do the dirty with the people they expect to care for them.

I'll say no more about this, it annoys me to death.

It's an immigration problem that successive Swedish governments didn't see coming. They opened their borders in the '70s to various immigrants, but failed to assimilate them in a worthwhile manner, now they are paying the price, bit similar to Blair's mc bullshit. My wife, on a recent visit, was somewhat surprised that the taxi driver couldn't speak svenska.

[quote user="Wilko"]It's an immigration problem that successive Swedish governments didn't see coming. They opened their borders in the '70s to various immigrants, but failed to assimilate them in a worthwhile manner, now they are paying the price, bit similar to Blair's mc bullshit. My wife, on a recent visit, was somewhat surprised that the taxi driver couldn't speak svenska.[/quote] Surely it's up to the immigrant to assimilate / integrate, not the host country population.

[quote user="powerdesal"] Surely it's up to the immigrant to assimilate / integrate, not the host country population.[/quote]

Presumably, that also applies to every Tom, Dick and Harry on here who posts looking for an "English speaking" doctor, dentist, hairdresser, car mechanic, notaire.......

[quote user="You can call me Betty"][quote user="powerdesal"] Surely it's up to the immigrant to assimilate / integrate, not the host country population.[/quote]

Presumably, that also applies to every Tom, Dick and Harry on here who posts looking for an "English speaking" doctor, dentist, hairdresser, car mechanic, notaire.......
[/quote] Yes, it does.

People often see Sweden as a nice calm quiet country ...

Where have you been hiding, Q?

Don't you know that the Swedish police force and legal systems are both corruptly engaged in persecuting young women with big tattoos?

Don't you know that the small southern town of Ystad has more murders than the whole of Midsomer?  [6]

[quote user="PaulT"][quote user="Clarkkent"]

Don't you know that the Swedish police force and legal systems are both corruptly engaged in persecuting young women with big tattoos?

[/quote]

So what is the story about this?

[/quote]Hint. Think mythical creature that features on the Welsh Flag.[:)]

[quote user="woolybanana"]PD, have you finally decided to be in France full time or do you still have a foot in both camps.

And, no I am not![/quote]

Wooly, we are now 100% resident in France, we have no plans to return to the UK therefore, IMHO, we are immigrants.

It is my opinion that anyone who lives permanently in another country, with no plans to leave that country after a pre-determined time is a de-facto immigrant.

The British people who live in France and insist on calling themselves 'expats' are deluding themselves unless they are on a fixed-term residence with a home maintained back in UK ready for their planned return.

I sort of agree powerdesal, as IF we had ever decided that we would never leave France, that is how I would have described myself, an immigrant. I always used to say I was an 'etrangere' but was picked up about that a few times, as I was told I wasn't, but I was an 'anglaise', as if that is different somehow.

Expat, well, in truth I always think 'colonialist'.  Always feels like that to me, a 'colon' mentality when I see people in their 'little british' enclaves. I didn't live anywhere like that and that is how I see it.