What Would You Do?

Gardian

A friend of ours is a keen follower of Tennis and enters the Wimbledon ballot every year.  She gets lucky about once every five years and has enjoyed some good occasions there.

This year, she and her friend really hit the jackpot - 2 centre Court tickets for Mens Final day and in prime position too. The plan is to make a weekend of it, with a West End show and a couple of nights in a London hotel.

We mentioned to her the other day that the 'going rate' on eBay for such tickets was currently £13k and could rise even further if that Murray bloke gets through.  You could imagine £10k / tkt or even more.

Would you take the money?  Oh and if you're not the remotest bit interested in tennis, forget it, because you wouldn't have gone in to the ballot in the first place.

It depends on if you need the money I guess. On the other hand she probably will never get such tickets ever again. Like most big sporting events it's the whole thing, the ambience, watching some of the greatest players etc. All in all a fantastic day out.

Shame she didn't apply for two (each). I always get tickets from my local club for the France v England 6N match. I ask for four and sell two on Ebay which pays for the whole trip and sometimes leaves me with a few spare Euros.

I suppose that someone like me shouldn't really have an opinion because I would never have entered the ballot. If I won I'd definitely sell them. The only thing I can think of that is more boring than watching tennis is watching billiards or possibly watching paint dry.

Hoddy

I love watching tennis but have never felt the need to attend, you get a better view on TV IMHO, however the thought of actually being there if Murray was to win......that would be a very big temptation.....maybe he'll go out in the first week and make the decision easier ....[blink]

I went there once in the early 80's as a treat for my father who was to have played their before I was born except my mother put paid to his appearance after using a presumably acidic cream on a cart on his neck which incapacitated him.

Back then, late in the afternoon as people were leaving for the day they could put their tickets in a charity bin and they were whipped out and resold for a few pounds to lucky people like us. We got centre court tickets for some great matches.

If tickets are now selling for £13K then I guess that practice was done away with many years ago mores the pity [:(]

Like many things in life I guess I  profitted from the best days which are now long gone.

I'd go to the match, if I cared!

The thing is that you'd have to guarantee that you had the money, ie from someone dopey and rich enough to pay. If you sold and the money was not there and you were scammed, then you'd have lost our completely on something you love.

[quote user="idun"]I'd go to the match, if I cared!

The thing is that you'd have to guarantee that you had the money, ie from someone dopey and rich enough to pay. If you sold and the money was not there and you were scammed, then you'd have lost our completely on something you love.

[/quote]

Thats the beauty of EBay and PayPal, you get the money first before you send the tickets.

I am very confused, concerning such huge sums works like that, if that is how it would work for this, then why can you not take these bogus bookings and just keep the money????? How would they get it back?????

Are you actually allowed to sell ballot tickets? My understanding is that the ballot ticket rules are that they are for the person who applies and not for onward sale. There are anecdotes on the internet of people having (eg) offered tickets for sale only for them to be voided by the LTA (dunno HOW that could be done, but that's the beauty of internet rumours!)

[quote user="Russethouse"]Paypal would refund it - they are always on the buyers side in any dispute it seems to me.....[/quote]

So selling a ticket via paypal could be reimbursed to the buyer...... I wouldn't take the risk, I'd go to the match.

One of my students, a Russian lady, and no mean tennis player herself, bought a ticket via ebay for the centre court a couple of years ago. When she arrived, she got in, no problem. However, after not very long, someone came along checking tickets, and for whatever reason, she was asked to leave. She still doesn't know whether the ticket was counterfeit, or it was because it wasn't originally issued to her. Anyway, she was outside on the pavement with another bloke who had been ousted with her, when a limo went past. At that stage she had just borrowed the mobile of the co-oustee to phone her husband and ask him to come and get her. As the limo drew alongside her, a bloke opened the window, and said, "Don't cry. Here, have these " and gave her two centre court tickets. Those seemed to work. She went back in - to much better seats than she'd just been thrown out from - and enjoyed the rest of the day's play.

I must admit, like Chancer, I used to go every year before the show courts were all-seated and you could turn up after work in week 1 and get the returned debentures for next to nothing. Week 1 was always the best, as many of the seeded players would be playing on the outside courts. You could also go into the standing area on court 1 and centre court quite easily. Saw some good tennis. Spent a good hour one evening gazing at Henri Leconte's bottom. I've now come over all unnecessary.

[quote user="idun"]I am very confused, concerning such huge sums works like that, if that is how it would work for this, then why can you not take these bogus bookings and just keep the money????? How would they get it back?????
[/quote]

EBay and PayPal are all one company. There is a direct link between the unique auction number of the item sold and the PayPal transaction number.

The second bit if you are talking about people trying to 'scam' B&B and Gite owners well that is something quite different and the 'scammers' would never use PayPal because they are using stolen credit cards and they might not know the billing address plus being online stolen credit cards are flaged immediatly.

Just for the record, I'd take the dosh and I'm pretty sure that our friend's husband would too!  She'll go though and good for her.

As for an embargo on re-selling, there's almost certainly some kind of warning when the tickets are sent.

However, the reality is that you're not required to identify yourself when entering the stadium complex (unless things have changed since we were there some years ago). It would slow entry to a crawl - simply impossible to manage.

[quote user="Quillan"]

[quote user="idun"]I'd go to the match, if I cared!

[/quote]

Thats the beauty of EBay and PayPal, you get the money first before you send the tickets.

[/quote]

Take the money and the mail the tickets the day after the final :)

I posed the question in the hairdressers yesterday - an absolutely resounding 'SELL' and the majority view seemed to be 'and use the cash for a fabulous holiday'.

Can you imagine though, deciding not to sell but go and then ending up in a massive tailback on the M25due to an accident and arriving in Wimbledon after it is all over [6]

Living, as I do, close enough to Wimbledon to know the area, and having previously lived even closer, I'd have to assume that the tickets were sold to someone who was coming from a very odd direction or didn't know the area at all, if they were on the M25 trying to reach Wimbledon.