Boundary Dispute

Polo

My neighbour wishes to put up a new fence but insists the present fence is about a metre into his land he proposes that we both employ geometre experts to resolve this now. The way i see it the boundary is well defined by the existing fence and has existed like this before they and us bought, i do not want to go to the expense of an expert but what can i do if he employs one and then tells me he was right and or just moves the fence.Any advice or personal experience of this would be appreciated
Regards
Polo

LAST EDITED ON 04-Jan-04 AT 07:37 PM (GMT)

Unfortunately if you don't get this checked then you could end up in court. If you can get them to share the costs then one borne or one and a half bornes each won't actually cost that much and may well be worth it in the long run. The geometre should be impartial anyway, so there is no reason why you shouldn't share this cost.

At the moment for example we have our boundary fence on our neighbours land, it is no problem as it will be put onto our side this summer. But I can see how it could create problems.

Please note also, that fences don't necessarily mean anything, one can imagine it is a boundary, but it doesn't mean it is. Clearly marked bornes indicate the boundary.

The way the system works is that you jointly appoint one Geometre and share the costs half each. I have a nagging feeling that if there is a dispute then you may even be obliged to contribute to the cost of the Geometre evenn if you aren't involved in the appointment of said expert.

Probably stating the obvious but have you suggested meeting half way and splitting the disputed metre. Does it really make a difference to any one? I once was involved in an investigation( I'm ex detective in UK) where one neighbour murdered the other with a shotgun over less than a metre!!!! Now I'm not suggesting that is going to happen but I would try to avoid litigation and sort things the friendly way

Did you know that boundary disputes are the biggest cause of feuds between neighbours in France? I knew an english woman a few depts away from us who insisted on measuring everything down to the last few centimeters to make sure she wasn't being cheated and it caused years and years of misery for both parties. In the end she had a breakdown,was convinced the neighbour was in the local mafia and had bugged her house so she sold up and went back to the UK. I do hope you can come to some amicable agreement but Geometre fees are quite expensive so be careful there.

• 2 weeks later...
More information on bornage and geometres is available on http://www.geometre-expert.fr/
notably under the faq section and in the leaflet (pdf, 29 pages)called something like you and your geometer.