Know your facts before taking the moral high ground

PaulT

Maybe one of his first jobs should have been to look over the accounts of CofE plc, which I imagine is rather richer than even I imagine.

Sadly the Credit Unions have to charge a very high interest rate too to cover their costs, although tiny in comparison to the likes of Wongo. But I still like the idea of Credit Unions, and have been thinking about volunteering to work at one, if such a thing can be done.

None of us is perfect. He has the moral high ground on this issue, given the obscene interest rates Wonga charges - typically, 1,600%. His motives and methods are sound; i.e. not just to condemn, but to out compete them. http://www.itv.com/news/2013-07-25/welby-aims-to-compete-wonga-out-of-existence/

At least as a businessman, their chief exec respected his rationale:

"The Archbishop told Total Politics magazine: "I've met the head of Wonga and we had a very good conversation and I said to him quite bluntly 'we're not in the business of trying to legislate you out of existence, we're trying to compete you out of existence'. He's a businessman, he took that well."

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/religion/10201272/Archbishop-warns-Wonga-that-Church-wants-to-force-it-out-of-business.html

Interesting, but pre reformation the abbeys in England were enormously rich. And I do believe that the C of E also became very rich.

We get regular letters through our door from a C of E church that is just along the road from us. Begging letters to be honest. And yet, there must be money in the CofE.  My Dad lives more or less next to a church and the vicars often park just in front of his house. A couple of weeks ago, three of them parked. All three more than well nourished and they stood for a while chatting about the new car one of them had just bought. The other two had very new cars too, and none of them were small economic cars either. So, I reckon that there is money being made in the church, just not being spent on the places of worship.

These rotund vicars could sell their cars, or not have bought them and that would have been over half the money for the repairs my local church needs, and if they had bikes, then they might lose some weight!

[quote user="Mr Ceour de Lion II"]Well I never. A capitalist christian organization.

Kind of an oxymoron...

[/quote]The old joke used to describe the Church of England as the Tory party at prayer. So no real surprise if it supports capitalism

[quote user="Rabbie"][quote user="Mr Ceour de Lion II"]Well I never. A capitalist christian organization.

Kind of an oxymoron...

[/quote]The old joke used to describe the Church of England as the Tory party at prayer. So no real surprise if it supports capitalism[/quote]

Same over here with republicans and the church.

Can't take either seriously.

Trouble is, can't take democrats seriously either.

[quote user="Théière"]

All this moral stuff from an organisation that won't allow women to become Bishops?

Still if they earn from it they can fix all their churches without taking off the congregation.............

[/quote]

Again, focusing on the positive aspect - he's not only condemned an average of 1,600% interest rates, but focused on the commercial alternative (credit unions) that offer an average of 24%. If you're living on the breadline with a lousy credit rating, you would thank him for that and worry less about the other aspects of his organisation perhaps?