This day in 1854

woolybanana

Wools, I am taking pity on you and writing a post because no one, not even loiseau, seems to have  replied.

We were talking war poems on another thread and yes, I have the Charge of the Light Brigade on my war poems anthology so will have another look at what happened.

So, Wools, do I sense that you are plugging all this history stuff because you have another book coming out?[I]

If so, I really aught to tell you that I can't afford your prices. these days.....life is tough and je n'ai plus un radis![:(]

Hahahaha, Sweets, you make me chuckle. But, yes, if I could get my lazy backside into the chair long enough then I wanted to do my blog as a book on France, plus loadsa old recipes and do it as a Kindle book, but for a couple of euros only.

Then do the same with the stuff on the Vendee Wars.

But somehow, despite regularly telling myself to get to it, things never get done. Hmmmmmm.

I knew a man, who as a child knew a man, who participated in the charge of the Light Brigade

The quote was " I lost my horse, I lost my friends and I soiled my breeches"

That was the best history lesson secondhand and back over a hundred and twenty years I have ever heard

PS The story teller served both in WW1 and WW11 and was awarded the MC

[quote user="woolybanana"]Charge of the Light Brigade. Stupid,, mad, heroic and a useless waste of life. Pity he didnt invent the cardigan instead! Duhhhhh[/quote]

But Wooly, you forgot, or overlooked or ignored ... 25 October is the feast of St Crispin.

We few, we happy few, we band of brothers.

[quote user="Clarkkent"]

[quote user="idun"]................ what a load of cobblers!

[/quote]

????????????????????????????

[/quote]IIRC St Crispin is the patron saint of shoemakers or cobblers as they are sometimes called. Of course Cobblers is rhyming slang for a load of rubbish. The full version is Cobbler's awls which rhymes with B*lls short for balderdash. 

Thank you for your erudition. I take my hat off to Idun for her (in fact) rather witty reply.

I'm afraid to say that my own attempt did fall flat. I was hoping it would be realised that the Charge of the Light Brigade and the Battle of Agincourt had both occurred on 25 October.