Dr Bloody Who

Gardian

Probably not just you.

I like it. But you don't know me, so that doesn't count.

A telly show that has been on for 50 years must have something going for it after all. Even French TV has it on (so it must be doing something right if the French want to watch it).

I guess if you don't like it then watch something else, there seems to be plenty of cooking/gardening/car boot/celebrity stuff out there at the moment, which I hate and seems to take up hours of TV time.

I loved it when I was a child. And for all I sort of out grew it Started watching it when Christopher Eccleston restarted the series and am hooked. Loved Torchwood too.

I have watched a few of the anniversary things that have been on recently. But really I just want to see the new episodes of Dr Who.

We all like different things. There is lots of rubbish on the tv that I truly hate and often wonder why they are on, but I daresay that other people like them.

[:D] [:D] [:D]

[quote user="idun"]There is lots of rubbish on the tv that I truly hate and often wonder why they are on, but I daresay that other people like them.

[:D] [:D] [:D]
[/quote]

Couldn't agree more: some things I like, others that I hate. But you don't have to watch it, as has been said.

Its just the incessant, incessant, incessant trailers for it on the TV & Radio that are unavoidable. 

It'll calm down after the weekend I sincerely hope. 

Betty said:

"Seems odd that it's more "newsworthy" than that other world-changing event of November 1963, though.... Still, we'll see tomorrow."

Was JFKs death world changing - you just get another President and in the meantime the VP gets promotion.

Plus JFK is held up as an icon but his private life was not quite what it should have been, especially for a Catholic.

I love it. [:D]

If anyone else loves it and has not yet seen the 7 minute webisode: if you've not got access to either the Red Button or BBC iPlayer or similar ways to catch up, have a look on utube... you're looking for The Night of the Doctor. Watch it before tomorrow (Saturday) night's episode. If you're not a fan, don't bother - it'll be meaningless to you. In fact, here's the link to YouTube...

We're all different. For example, the obsession with the Titanic anniversary (last year?) mildly puzzled and certainly bored me. But thousands? millions? obviously watched and enjoyed.

The shooting of JFK was shocking but (unfortunately) there's no parallel universe (in a timey wimey sort of way) enabling us to accurately compare and contrast a world with JFK completing his term(s) as president and what real life actually delivered. So, shocking as it was, though the documentary makers are trying hard, what new is there left to say? Assuming one isn't a conspiracy theorist, that is.

I seem to have spent the last week watching either JFK or Dr Who things on tv. I doubt that there could have been more of either.

Strange program the other night made by Ridley or was it Tony Scott, showing why it had to have been Lee Harvey Oswald. I really felt rather surprised when it was over, I've seen too many other things about it, to ever consider that he was a lone gunman and maybe had little to do with it.

Thanks catalpa, I'll watch that before the episode starts.

I have found the Dr Who programmes really interesting. There was a drama on the other night about how the programme started written by Mark Gattis which was excellent. I am looking forward to the programme tonight.

The JFK thing, on the other hand, has driven me nuts. Talk about the absolute opposite of Mark Antony's speech from Julius Caesar (the one that goes - 'The evil that men do liveth after them, the good is often interred with their bones....')

Years ago, I read a book called something like The Dark Side of Camelot - it certainly cast an interesting light on the Kennedy clan.

[quote user="idun"]Strange program the other night made by Ridley or was it Tony Scott...[/quote]

Probably Ridley if it was a recent production - Tony Scott died last year.

e2a: If you are using Google, you'll see a little line of Daleks at the top of the result (or other) screen. Click it and you go to the Google home page. Click your preferred Doctor and you'll get a Doctor Who game where you have to navigate him around the obstacles  (monsters) to a prize and then back to the Tardis. There are, I suppose, eleven levels, each one - as is the way with these things - more difficult than the last.

[quote user="Thibault"]There was a drama on the other night about how

the programme started written by Mark Gattis which was excellent.

[/quote]

It was. I don't usually watch dramas "based on real life

events..." - or manage to stay awake if I do - but this was good, not least as a glimpse of the BBC in that era - even if someone isn't overly interested in the show itself.

I was five and remember both events : the first Dr. Who which had me and my brother hiding behind the sofa, but entranced by the programme (the music on the credits, radical for its time). And also the assassination of JFK, when it came on the radio my parents told us kids to shut up as they were listening intently to the news.

But back to Dr. Who .... science fiction is a rich source of invention, it would be interesting to see what gadgets they were using which are now in common use. A bit like 'Tomorrow's World' (anybody remember that?) which forecast the first microwave oven .. I remember my mother saying "piffle, it will never catch on". !!

[quote user="PaulT"]Betty said:

"Seems odd that it's more "newsworthy" than that other world-changing event of November 1963, though.... Still, we'll see tomorrow."

Was JFKs death world changing - you just get another President and in the meantime the VP gets promotion.

Plus JFK is held up as an icon but his private life was not quite what it should have been, especially for a Catholic.[/quote]

Gosh! Hold the front page! A head of state with skeletons in the cupboard? Whatever next![:D]

Seriously, though. I was comparing two things. The assassination of a world leader who, whatever his personal failings, did (or initiated) a fair few memorable things which changed the course of history, and a telly programme. And contrasting the BBC's coverage of both. The BBC's attitude to the 50th anniversary of Kennedy's assassination appears to be "Kennedy? Is he dead? I must have missed it, I was watching Dr. Who".

In a compare-and-contrast kind of way, is Dr Who more important than the Kennedy assassination? In the great scheme of things, are either of them important enough to warrant blanket TV coverage? I admit, David Tennant is very pleasing on the eye, but I've had enough now.

[quote user="You can call me Betty"]In a compare-and-contrast kind of way, is Dr Who more important than the Kennedy assassination? In the great scheme of things, are either of them important enough to warrant blanket TV coverage? I admit, David Tennant is very pleasing on the eye, but I've had enough now. [/quote]

Well, he was... until I saw his plait!

I can - obviously - see what you're getting at re the coverage. But I think they are such different events it is difficult to directly compare them or to fairly assign levels of importance. JFK - with the brief regeneration possibilities offered by Bobby - remains a character of his time and is simply a piece of (recent) history. The Doctor, being fictional and pretty much immortal and having good scriptwriters, continues to be relevant years after the original idea.

And it has the full power of the BBC marketing and PR departments behind it. Not to mention to denizens of Outpost Gallifrey... [:-))]

I can see that it is probably mildly annoying to people who aren't interested (because I feel that way about football and F1 racing [:D]) but Doctor Who is fundamentally very moral, feel-good tv. It is only tv... but I think it's not a bad thing to be celebrating...

Was there anything on the French TV about the JFK anniversary? I ask as I didn't see anything and would liked to have done.

The Dr Who special tonight is going to be aired in 70 countries at the same time.

Like most things on TV, it's all a question of taste. If you don't like it then turn it off, unless your slave master is forcing you otherwise :)

Personally I'm looking forward to Horizon tonight

[quote user="HoneySuckleDreams"]

Like most things on TV, it's all a question of taste. If you don't like it then turn it off, unless your slave master is forcing you otherwise :)

[/quote]

And of course I will. However, it hasn't stopped the BBC ramming it down my throat on every possible occasion during the last few weeks.

[quote user="DerekJ"][quote user="HoneySuckleDreams"]

[/quote]

And of course I will. However, it hasn't stopped the BBC ramming it down my throat on every possible occasion during the last few weeks.
[/quote]

I do sympathise.

I have the same problem with Christmas.

At least with the 50th Anniversary of Dr Who it won't happen next year. However, "Christmas" is rammed down my throat every fecking year

I went to see the 'the Butler' last night and JFKs death was portrayed ...on the way home my daughter asked me about it.....and I said it was somehow the death not only of a man but of a hope.....at the time he epitomised a brighter future, hard to imagine now, especially in the light of what we have learned since...but I still remember that feeling....

A few years ago I visited Dallas and the 6th Floor museum, very moving....

I agree Gay. Jack Kennedy's death was a sort of rude awakening. I think we had (sort of) believed that 'all you need is love' and that the world was getting better up to that point.

How very young and silly the me that believed that seems now.

Hoddy

[quote user="Thibault"]But, Betty, which has earned more money for the UK - Dr Who or JFK?

Grit your teeth, it will be over after tonight![/quote]

...until the "Christmas Special" and the "New Doctor".....  [:D]

What next, then? Maybe in 2014 we can look forward to the centenary of the Great War being knocked off the schedules by back-to-back reruns of "Dad's Army"? Of course, I'm being silly. When does a day go by without back-to-back reruns of "Dad's Army"?[:D]

Oops, forgot about the Christmas Special - but, it will go back to its once a week slot, so easily avoided by non-fans.........

Centenary of the Great War - that's going to put a few cats among the pigeons. I gather M Hollande doesn't want any mention of the fact that the French were fighting against the Germans at the time - this could make any programmes about it very interesting.....