Prescription glasses

woolybanana

On a visit to the Yew Kay last week I popped in for a free NHS eye check and was very pleased with the thoroughness of the thing.

But there was not time to get glasses made up, which leaves me with the choice of paying French prices, waiting until returning to the land of Bobo or trying something like Glasses Direct.

Has anyone experience of these online suppliers, svp? Would be most grateful for an assessment if you have.

The prescription is for bifocals.

Taa very muchlee as my Yorkshire Chinese friend used to say.

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have used the cheapest of the cheapo companies and have been very surprised at how good the glasses were, goggles4u.com and selectspecs.com were a couple, spexmaniac I think have stopped trading, shame as I could remember their name.

My only complaint is I dont like the cheap cases they come in but when you are only paying €8 per pair and they have come around the world for that price its no surprise really.

I bought some cheap varifocals and they were rubbish, at least I think they were, havnt had a good pair to compare them too, bi-focals should be OK.

I will try some of the other companies listed as I need some new ones.

[quote user="Pommier"]I've bought from Glasses2You and they were fast and inexpensive - plus you can upload your photo to their site to 'try on' various styles.[/quote]

Agree, have had several pairs from them and been pleased with the quality and service. I am currently helping a French friend buy varifocals from them so will see how that goes.

France2 news tonight mentioned getting cheaper glasses in France. A retired teacher had got her new glasses for 156€, the previous pair had been 600€. Sorry I didn't catch which opticians it was.

Tests were then done by an opthalmo at the hospital, on the glasses to see if they had been made properly for her and they were.

Bien sur, the man from opticians de france, said that cheap ones were  no good and one had to go to the real professionals to get the best service and glasses......... mon oeil......... [Www]

[quote user="Quillan"]You could always have a long weekend in Spain and pop into Spec Savers, well thats what we do.
[/quote]

or pop over to Jersey - depending on which is nearest [:)]

I'm sure I read somewhere that there are some v.cheap foot passenger deals from St Malo in the run-up to Xmas

wooly,

I just got new bifocals from Boots with a free check up because I, er, um, qualify. The glasses cost £240. The frames were only £25. I still can't get used to some of the old fashioned equipment used in Boots compared to what is used in the US. What do they cost in France?

David

People who have bought glasses online, could I ask you a couple of questions?

1. Do you buy single vision lenses or more complex bifocal or graduated lenses?

2. How do you know the frames will suit you? (Or aren't you bothered?)

I've found I can get frames from one or two online shops that are cheaper (with single vision lenses) than I'd find the SAME frames in a high street shop. That's good (from my point of view) because I can try on the frames first to see if I like them. However, it seems that once you move away from single vision lenses, some of these online shops are really no cheaper than high street ones. Of course, if you aren't too worried about the frames, then  immediately it opens up a whole raft of possible suppliers.

I have only ever had single vision lenses.  I know the kind of frame I like and a limiting factor is getting a frame big enough (big head?) but I'm not too fussy, I usually wait and see what is on special offer.

For Progressive lenses, on spex4less there are instructions about getting someone to take a photo of you full-face and some other simple steps which I don't remember.

Hi Betty!

I use zennioptical.com for both single vision and progressive / bifocal lenses - no problem and great prices. They are quite specific about measurements and offer loads of help including live chat. As far as the frames suiting you - you simply upload a face picture and try them on-line - easy and brilliant.

Chiefluvvie

Cl..I had a look at zennoptical.com after your link yesterday. Their frames are really good prices, and I shall have a crack at uploading a photo to try some. The downside is that however hard I try, photos of me look like they were taken for Crimewatch. Adding glasses makes them look even more like a photofit ....

I'll give it a whirl, though. Ta.

I bought online once and my glasses didn't really fit me well. I would continually have to adjust them, and if I was out working, they would just slip off my face with the sweat. This was a couple of years back, so I imagine that might not be as much of an issue now, but I still prefer going to the opticians in person. My current pair are great.

Not being technical, I shall do my best to explain. I find that the little cushiony bits that go against the nose often slide quite easily, so I always ask the optician to replace them with what I can only call 'sticky' rubber cushiony things.

I'm sure there is a name for these things, but I actually don't need to know it, as I just say 'can you put anti slip on here please' and they do.[Www]

Look - if you want to pay through the nose for rip-off specs from an optician then go ahead - I have much better things to spend my hard earned cash on.

It's 2013 and about time high street opticians got with the programme and stopped taking the proverbial - they will go the same way as travel agents. You simply can't 'uninvent' progress and competition.

Pharmacies next for the cull.......

Chiefluvvie....

[quote user="Mr Ceour de Lion II"]I bought online once and my glasses didn't really fit me well. I would continually have to adjust them, and if I was out working, they would just slip off my face with the sweat. This was a couple of years back, so I imagine that might not be as much of an issue now, but I still prefer going to the opticians in person. My current pair are great.
[/quote]

What do you think opticians do? they look for the obvious slippage and then go to the back of the shop and warm up the frames with a hair dryer and form them to fit you better. That's plastic ones obviously, metal is just formed to fit you better. That probably costs you £200 or your dollar equivalent.  Yes that can put the lense slightly out of prescription position which is more of an issue with higher prescription lenses but that's what they do. 

@ Luvvie, where have you been, away from the forum for such a long time...... 

Hi Théière !

Live in Mauritius now and only really catch up on the forums during down-time when I'm working (i.e. in London and between flights). Can't resist popping in every now and then....know how it is ?

Is it me or does the 'view' rate shoot up when I make a contribution ??

Chiefluvvie :-)

[quote user="Théière"]

[quote user="Mr Ceour de Lion II"]I bought online once and my glasses didn't really fit me well. I would continually have to adjust them, and if I was out working, they would just slip off my face with the sweat. This was a couple of years back, so I imagine that might not be as much of an issue now, but I still prefer going to the opticians in person. My current pair are great.

[/quote]

What do you think opticians do? they look for the obvious slippage and then go to the back of the shop and warm up the frames with a hair dryer and form them to fit you better. That's plastic ones obviously, metal is just formed to fit you better. That probably costs you £200 or your dollar equivalent.  Yes that can put the lense slightly out of prescription position which is more of an issue with higher prescription lenses but that's what they do. 

@ Luvvie, where have you been, away from the forum for such a long time...... 

[/quote]

Exactly why I wouldn't buy online again.

Besides, the stores are pretty close in price to online now anyway.

Sorry Richard, still didn't quite get why you would never buy on line again?

The price have only come down because we buy on line but I guess the USA is cheaper than UK or French high street prices so yes it may not be such a big margin these days.  The family sold their online glasses Co to Foster Grants, so you might still be receiving the same glasses as online tee he.