Planning to take a train to Penzance any time soon?

nomoss

Nomoss

Perhaps quote the actual "well current/modern" text. 

‘Hear this now, O foolish people,

Without understanding,

Who have eyes and see not,

And who have ears and hear not

New King James Version

Note that this is the Jewish and not Zionist ( a political party) bit.

Nb I'm still fuming.

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[quote user="richard51"]Nomoss

Perhaps quote the actual "well current/modern" text. 

‘Hear this now, O foolish people,
Without understanding,
Who have eyes and see not,
And who have ears and hear not

New King James Version

Note that this is the Jewish and not Zionist ( a political party) bit.

Nb I'm still fuming.

[/quote]

And your point is? [8-)]

[quote user="andyh4"] Lack of hydraulic gradient may be a problem, but the Dutch have solved negative gradients. Or put another way - environmental agency sphericals.[/quote]

[quote user="andyh4"][quote user="NormanH"I doubt that that was by dredging unquote]

Obviously you have not been to Rotterdam, Nor looked at the seaward extension at the mouth of Europoort which is creating new land generated from sand which is 100% dredged.[/quote]

Why do you say that generating land at the mouth of Europoort has solved negative (water surface) gradients, please?

Extending the land seaward will decrease the gradient, while the dredging, if in the drainage canals, will not affect it.

Surely the sand for the extension came from the sea bed?

Edited to make this post less aggressive [:D]

The point I am trying to make is that the Dutch manage to avoid flooding like the Somerset levels on land which in many respects is like the drained polders of Holland (Western 2 provinces of the Netherlands).

Extending the land out to sea does indeed reduce the gradient and nevertheless they avoid the extreme flooding we have seen in the UK. And as suggested in the first quote they are removing water from negative altitude to essentially sea level for many many kilometres inland and somehow miraculously (according to the UK environment agency comments about the levels) succeed in avoiding disastrous flooding

You are right that some of the sand does come from the sea, but some also comes from dredging the rivers - in part perhaps to allow shipping access I will concede.

There was an interesting interview last night with a dutch drainage engineer on BBC South West. He was explaining how the dutch had moved the dykes back from the rivers to create larger sacrificial flood plains in order to control floods better. They had rehoused people affected by this change - in some cases by building the houses on platforms 3 metres above the land.

[quote user="nomoss"]

Jeremiah, 5:21

Which, for the benefit of anyone not understanding, (previously some have been puzzled by biblical references, which given the apparent educational level of some here doesn't really surprise me) refers to a verse in the book commonly known in England as "The Holy Bible" - the Jewish bit.

[/quote]

I do not understand the relevance of quoting from a collection of myths[8-)]. Why not quote H C Andersen or the Brothers Grimm.

[quote user="andyh4"]The point I am trying to make is that the Dutch manage to avoid flooding like the Somerset levels on land which in many respects is like the drained polders of Holland (Western 2 provinces of the Netherlands). Extending the land out to sea does indeed reduce the gradient and nevertheless they avoid the extreme flooding we have seen in the UK. And as suggested in the first quote they are removing water from negative altitude to essentially sea level for many many kilometres inland and somehow miraculously (according to the UK environment agency comments about the levels) succeed in avoiding disastrous flooding You are right that some of the sand does come from the sea, but some also comes from dredging the rivers - in part perhaps to allow shipping access I will concede.[/quote]

I think the problems in Somerset may be a little different from those in Holland.

To achieve adequate drainage it would be necessary to build high dykes on both sides of all the drainage channels, so that water can be pumped into them to create suitable gradients, and on soft, deep peat land this would probably require substantial foundation works to ensure they didn't sink.

If the land were drained as efficiently as in Holland, the people who make their living from swampland industries would probably be making as much noise as those with flooded houses are doing now.

Also, the tidal range on the Dutch coast is around 4.5 metres, whereas Burnham on Sea, at the mouth of the R Parrett, has the world's second highest tidal range, of up to 9 metres. (Highest is in the Bay of Fundy, with 11.7 metres). Lots more pumping needed, and who would pay?

[quote user="Rabbie"][quote user="nomoss"]

Which, for the benefit of anyone not understanding, (previously some have been puzzled by biblical references, which given the apparent educational level of some here doesn't really surprise me) refers to a verse in the book commonly known in England as "The Holy Bible" - the Jewish bit.

[/quote]

I do not understand the relevance of quoting from a collection of myths[8-)]. Why not quote H C Andersen or the Brothers Grimm.

[/quote]

I respect others on here who may feel otherwise, so do not refer to the Bible as a collection of myths, regardless of my own beliefs, even though currently this seems to be regarded as daring and avant-garde behaviour by attention seekers. I hope you don't live in our Wiltshire village.

However, the Bible does contain many apt, popular, and well understood references.

Perhaps you can supply an apt and relevant quotation for the sentiment from your preferred reading above?

nomos rote: "I respect others on here who may feel otherwise, so do not refer to the Bible as a collection of myths,"

So what about a bit of respect for those who do think it is a load of myths. It's a forum; and if people do think that it's a load of myths then why shouldn't they be able to say so? You get your say; we get our say, simples. [:P]

[quote user="nomoss"][quote user="Rabbie"][quote user="nomoss"]

[/quote]

[/quote]

I respect others on here who may feel otherwise, so do not refer to the Bible as a collection of myths, regardless of my own beliefs, even though currently this seems to be regarded as daring and avant-garde behaviour by attention seekers. I hope you don't live in our Wiltshire village.

However, the Bible does contain many apt, popular, and well understood references.

Perhaps you can supply an apt and relevant quotation for the sentiment from your preferred reading above?

[/quote]As I am not going to pander your arrogant approach I freely admit I do not know the Book of Jeremiah off by heart so I am in blissful ignorance of what your quotes is about so I am not going look for a quotation for you. It might have been more helpful and less provocative if you had quoted the verse and not just given a reference to it.

As for your calling me an attention seeker well it takes one to know one[:D]. Since your only location is given as Languedoc I am unable to say if I live near your Wiltshire village. It certainly doesn't bother me either way

[quote user="Russethouse"]

Guys, can we take religion out of this discussion please, and the personal comments about other members too. Whatever your believes it doesn't really add to the discussion.

Thanks

[/quote]

I apologise. I underestimated the possibilities of misreading and the assumptions that could be made.

• 2 weeks later...
Something that I wanted to mention about all this 're-create the old line in order to avoid Dawllish' nonsense.

Three problems:

1. It's been built over in more than a few places

2. The old 'Southern ' line from Exeter to Plymouth passed through nowhere commercially important. Furthermore, the branch lines to the likes of Paignton would be cut off. Any serious route to the far west has to pass through Newton Abbot

3. Any attempted use of the old Southern route would involve lengthy reversal at Exeter - unless there was a completely new 'through' connection to the old line.

The only way would be an expensive and contentious new-build north of the Exe estuary.

• 1 month later...
Well, it appears that, despite predictions to the contrary, the Dawlish line has reopened today. Maybe it'll free up a few engineers and contractors to pop over to France and speed up the repairs to the bridge in Rouen?[:D]

[quote user="You can call me Betty"]Well, it appears that, despite predictions to the contrary, the Dawlish line has reopened today. Maybe it'll free up a few engineers and contractors to pop over to France and speed up the repairs to the bridge in Rouen?[:D]
[/quote] 

No; no Betty, keep them away from Rouen, it's easier now to get through than it was before the explosion.