Planning to take a train to Penzance any time soon?

nomoss

Now no rail connection between Exeter and Penzance. Estimated 4 to 6 weeks to repair, which sounds a bit optimistic to me.

Talk about a new line further inland at a cost of umpteen billions. Another contract for Germany perhaps.

What a pity they closed the alternative route in 1962 [:(] 

Maybe they could reinstate the link between Okehanpton and Plymouth, unless they sold off the right of way.

Most of it is probably the most expensive cycle path ever built.

What a shame. Some might even say criminal.

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah. Criminal. I'm sure Nostradamus probably predicted that, some 40-odd years after its closure, it would come in useful. Or maybe money could have been well spent maintaining it in full working order on a "just in case" basis? I mean....somebody should have KNOWN..

The flooding along the coast has been spectacular

http://www.exeterexpressandecho.co.uk/Video-pictures-Exmouth-hit-flooding-battered/story-20549440-detail/story.html

https://www.facebook.com/TeignmouthOracle/photos/pb.364685246912625.-2207520000.1391549097./627635577284256/?type=3&theater

In UK days I used that line a lot.

Cuts to rural lines are biting deep here too.

The Béziers-Millau-Clermont Ferrand line is in the SNCF 'hit list' and the Carcassonne-Limoux-Quillan line is also under threat.

Still, never mind, HS2 is the answer!!!!!!

The priorities of the North Korean dictatorship are often criticised yet the UK Government is saying 'we must spend billions on this HS2 rail line, but you cannot see a report that shows in negatively, whilst those in rural areas will just have to put up with being flooded'.

Haven't I read somewhere that, unlike in Britain, French railway closures have always required the preservation of the route?

I don't know about Okehampton-Plymouth, but there was a massive Sainsbury's plonked across the track as soon as my local line in Kent closed in the mid '80s.

[quote user="JandM"]Haven't I read somewhere that, unlike in Britain, French railway closures have always required the preservation of the route? I don't know about Okehampton-Plymouth, but there was a massive Sainsbury's plonked across the track as soon as my local line in Kent closed in the mid '80s.[/quote]

It doesn't seem to apply around these parts. Unless you don't count pulling down most of the bridges and building a few lottisments over it.

The station building is still there, and the right of way is a rough bicycle track outside the town areas. But even if we could get easily to the main line station where our line joined, it's been closed for years too. [:(]

[quote user="Thibault"]Hindsight is a wonderful thing. If only we all had foresight........[/quote]

A common comment, but many people did have foresight, I remember vigorous opposition and campaigning where we lived, and in other towns too.

It all had no effect whatsoever. Public opinion between elections had as little sway then as it does now.

Here is an example, linked from the website I previously posted. You have to scroll down to get to the article, and have a bit of patience to get through it.

http://library-2.lse.ac.uk/collections/pamphlets/document_service/fHE1_42/G0000011/doc.pdf

Edit: Labour were elected in 1964 on a platform including reversal of rail closures, which was soon sidelined and then forgotten.

[quote user="You can call me Betty"]Maybe they should just lay all the people who want to get a train to Penzance from end to end..... Bet they wouldn't reach!
[/quote]

Last time I took a train to Penzance (yes, must be a few years ago!), I lay me down to sleep!  Beh oui, there were bunks and one went to sleep until one got there![:D]

This is a big problem for the railway and the travelling public.

They're talking in terms of 4 - 6 wks, but that's probably the minimum once the weather settles down. Bearing in mind what they've got to do - rebuilding the sea wall - this could easily be double the initial estimate.

Add to that, there'll be quite a few train units 'stranded' on the western side of the problem with no means of exit.

It'll be makeshift road services from Exeter - Newton Abbot and vice versa for both passengers, freight and mail.

The most feasible alternative air link would be for someone to lay on Newquay (St Mawgan) - London (Stansted or Luton) flights on a temporary basis. Neither Plymouth nor Penzance could take high capacity aircraft.

My bet is that Mr Ryanair is already making his plans!

I am hard pressed to draw any relationship between my reference to Nostradamus and your previous comment. And I am fascinated to learn where I made the reference to my OH building a bridge.....

However, I seem to have sown seeds of doubt in your mind as to my sexuality, or at least as to the gender of my OH.

But, PaulT, those living in a flood plain and in a rural area should perhaps expect problems in extreme weather circumstances.

Even though not politically correct, I would definitely prefer to protect homes rather than fields which will recover. Farms are businesses and hey-ho sometimes go under!

Even more politically incorrect, and given the fact that we live on the side of a hill and our lawn is actually higher than our roof, I do find it rather annoying that we have to subsidise people who choose to live near "water".

Living higher does have its advantages but we will probably be moving soon as the OH (he/she) is disabled and won't be able to climb and appreciate the views of the river (sewer) in the valley below. We will not choose a flood plain.

Betty, the reference was referring to your earlier comment that I took to mean that one can't predict the future. I believe Beeching was a little too much money orientated.

Without searching through all previous posts, I'm sure that you were bragging that your OH was deeply involved in the building of a bridge over the Thames.

I am sure that you are now aware that originally the designer of the rail route suggested that is was to be built inland, but cost became involved.

It will be interesting to see what the engineers/politicians come up with this time.

[quote user="JandM"]Haven't I read somewhere that, unlike in Britain, French railway closures have always required the preservation of the route? I don't know about Okehampton-Plymouth, but there was a massive Sainsbury's plonked across the track as soon as my local line in Kent closed in the mid '80s.[/quote]

After stumbling across what I suspected to be the remains of an old railway siding I found departmental maps of the old rail network in my area. An awfull lot has been built on but there may be some merit in what you say, perhaps they have to maintain or create another liason.

One road I had been driving for years turns out to be on the site of the railway line which had been the only connection between the two adjacent towns.

[quote user="richard51"]

Even though not politically correct, I would definitely prefer to protect homes rather than fields which will recover. Farms are businesses and hey-ho sometimes go under![/quote]

Like farms, some people also base their businesses from home. Village shops, pubs, etc may also be peoples homes, but hey-ho from your tone that don't matter!

[quote user="Chancer"]

After stumbling across what I suspected to be the remains of an old railway siding I found departmental maps of the old rail network in my area. An awfull lot has been built on but there may be some merit in what you say, perhaps they have to maintain or create another liaison.

[/quote]

Before closing a passenger route it is normal (perhaps law) that an alternative public transport route has to be provided.

There is however no requirement that the rail route be physically kept - although for the industrial architect there are plenty of cases where that is the case.