Brilliant Glenda Jackson

NormanH

For some reason, this has been all over Facebook today. I thought it was from January...but it's from yesterday. I really must get my glasses checked.

Only last week I misread a post and thought someone was posting about Help for Herpes. Some judicious polishing of my lenses revealed it was Help for Heroes.

IDS....... years ago I didn't mind him, now I think he is contemptable.

He is in a government who have let the bankers continue with their disgraceful bonuses. Where the rich manage to pay less and less tax and companies avoid paying UK tax on the income they make in the UK. (Pleased to see Starbucks with just one person inside in town today).

The way he has dealt with the 'poor' has been brutal, especially the handicapped.

I don't live in a town that is very well off, I have seen the dreadful job the Job Centre and training centres do since I have moved back. IF IDS wants people working, then he should try living with 'people' instead of a rent free millionaires mansion  with lots of bedrooms.

He wants the poor to work, well, stop wasting money on most of the things that are currently in place and start some proper training and give proper help to the unemployed.

The poor, easy cibles nez pah!

I don't disagree with all government policies, but they make life untenable for those who find themselves in properties that are now 'too big', as happens when families leave. If they can no longer afford to live in the property they are living in because of the new rules, then there has to be  alternative accommodation for them to move to. There isn't. Why wasn't that the first question that a sensible caring government would ask? We have lots of rented homes that are too big, how many flats/houses are available with fewer rooms?

The man is a disgrace and I loathe and detest him. Not the only politican I feel like that about on either side of the channel, but him certainly in particular.

And Glenda, I have my reservations about all labour MP's who have been in a while, as  she was 'in' when The Blair was in and if I have shown how much I dislike IDS, well TB is in a category all of his own with what I consider, his wrong doings, why he has never been brought up on charges in court is beyond me.

A few years ago (prior to 2010) the Dept of Skills and Innovation were told to rent a large number of premises for the training of the unemployed. So they did. Then the scheme was cancelled. The result was that the DSI now had lots of training accommodation but no one to train. So they tried to rent it. I worked for the NHS and rented half of a building to provide a clinical activity. The rent was subsidised by the DSI such that the NHS paid far less than the DSI was paying to the Head Landlord. How much did that whole episode of properties cost the DSI, oh, the Government, oh you and I.

As with lots of policies it's how they are implemented that causes the problems. The welfare system needs changing to ensure that the vulnerable and needy receive help first and foremost. A cap of £500 per week seems fair to me as this equates to above the average wage.

I don't want to disagree, but I'm going to.

I thought the sentiment and logic behind the speech was faultless. The manner in which it was delivered, the stumbling, hesitation, attacking the man and not the issue (well, the issue was addressed, but began to get almost lost in the cheap point-scoring) was, IMO, somewhat unworthy of a woman who was once one of our greatest and most accomplished actresses. I would have expected Ms Jackson to be able to deliver her lines in a more coherent manner.

I'd like to say that it doesn't detract from the very valid points she was making, but unfortunately, for me at any rate, it does.

I have felt for sometime now that IDS has lost the plot and the 'man' himself needed publicly attacking. Not that it will make a ha'porth of difference to him, he's very all right Jack.

If I don't like lots of the current policies, 'he' seems to have his own strategy for his excessive policies and given free rein by the rest of the government, maybe to appease the right wing of the party and maybe draw in prospective UKIP voters.

No time for him at all.