Increasing UK State pension

woolybanana

Yes, two pensions. Watch out though, the way they calculate french pensions is very odd. I still cannot work it out, and I have tried, and tried and tried.

The CNAV/CRAM add together all your working life, France and other EU countries and then if it reaches the 160 trimestres or whatever is applicable to yourself. If you have not got enough trimestres, then there are reductions set in place http://www.legislation.cnav.fr/Pages/bareme.aspx?Nom=retraite_personnelle_pourcentage_minoration_applique_taux_plein_bar.

You then get your french pension pro rata.

The trouble with the amount they base it on is as NH said, based on each individual, and their earnings and IF they had a full working life.

As you are working in France, then those class 2 contributions seem like a really good investment for your UK pension. Maybe you should get in touch with Newcastle and see how many years you are lacking and ask for a pension forecast.

Also if you get a french pension and live in France, then whilst you remain in France you won't get an S1 for health care from the UK, you'll remain in the french system. And you'll also pay cotisations on your french pension, some are means tested, but if you are earning over the plafond will pay,  the CSG etc.

Have a look through this site.

https://www.lassuranceretraite.fr/cs/Satellite/PUBPrincipale/SalariesPlus55/Documentation-Salaries55/Baremes-Montants-Retraite55?packedargs=null

ps If when your retire you move back to the UK and are in receipt of a french pension and not working in the UK or in receipt of a UK pension, then you will pay sociale securité cotisations on your french pension, and the french will have to furnish an S1 for the UK government. And you'd get your CEAM card from France.

I've got 29 and a bit qualifying years for the UK state pension and was about to pay £660 to DWP to take me to the magical 30 years when they upped it to 35 years. If I continue to work until say 65 then I will have approx 20 years of contributions in France.

I've had a good look at the link (and others) and I need 168 trimestres to get a full pension here (42 years). This is where it gets confusing. If I was to make voluntary contributions to DWP now to take me to 35 years I would already have 42 years of contributions in total as I've been paying into the French system for 7 years. Does this mean I've already got enough for a full pension?

I have tried writing this about four times now and started again.

We did all the french pension stuff three years ago and I have just

looked at the Releve de Carriere that the CARSAT sent and they did not

count the voluntary contributions made in the UK.

I believe that you would have enough contributions now for a 'full' UK pension, with the 29 years + 7 years, but this would be paid pro rata. So when they say you have a full working life, the UK would only use the contributions made in there to calculate. It is not expensive to make up to that 35 years using Class 2 contributions, which is what you should be doing (are you?) as you work in France. Then you would have a full UK pension at 67.

These  29 qualifying years, did they include voluntary contributions in the UK? Bearing in mind that voluntary contributions paid in the UK are not included in the french calculation, you need to use the figure of 'just' when you worked. Then you can work out how many years you need to continue working to get enough trimestres to get a full french pension. This will be paid pro rata though, so if you only do 15 years in France, you'll get paid 60/168 of their calculation. Which have we have said, is complicated all on it's own!

What you need is the taux of 50%. If your working life is not sufficient, then that taux goes down quickly.

You will also be paying a retraite complementaire in France, and the longer you pay into this the more you will get as you will get points every year based on what you pay in.

Sorry if this is as clear as mud, and I have just looked at their salaire de base calculation....... AGAIN! and I still cannot make head nor tail of it, we have had no such figures anywhere on pay slips or tax forms! It is like they made it up!