Maybe I'm just too fussy

idun

I didn't put this is the cooking section as mince pies are certainly not french cooking.

Today whilst I was out and passing Iceland, thought I'd give their award winning mince pies a try. They are not expensive, 6 for £1.50. And the were OK.

But these won in a blind tasting against, Harrods, Fortnum and Mason and all the supermarkets. I am starting to wonder what on earth other people eat. As I said, they were OK, the mince was quite nice, but the pastry, well, if I had made some pies just like these and the pastry had turned out the same, I don't think I would have actually served them to anyone. However, being careful and hating waste, in spite of them being mediocre, would probably have served them to the family, hot with lots of hot custard, but never on a plate, just to eat.

Am I fussy, are my standards too high? I cannot see what is so difficult about making a good mince pie, but I think that about scones too for that matter, as there are too many scones sold that are terrible.

I think that the trouble is that so many people nowadays don't cook or bake anything at all, so they think that supermarket rubbish is how things are supposed to taste. Whatever is in the Iceland mince pies (and the pastry) I bet it's not what a home baker would use.

My personal view is that those who rave about bought mince pies/ Christmas puddings, together with many of those who say they don't like these products, have not tried proper home made recipes for them - there is no comparison! I make my own Christmas puddings for a growing number of people who say they now could never eat a bought one or who say it is the only one they have enjoyed. (Old family recipe available!) Similarly with mince meat - there is no comparison between the sickly, sticky, gooey bought slop and the real thing (Eliza Beeton with a couple of twists of my own is my preferred recipe). As for bought pastry - no thanks. How can mince pies bought today be still fresh in January, which according to the 'eat by dates' I saw yesterday, they will be?

When on secondment to M and S some years ago, I was invited to taste the new recipes for their Christmas Puddings. I did. I gave feedback which surprised the development and merchandising team, who thought their product amazing. Neither of them had, however, ever tried a homemade one, amazing in someone who claimed to be interested in recipe development and setting high standards.

Pouyade

Pastry's never crisp enough, filling's always too sweet and gooey and it all sticks to the roof of your mouth.......AND I am talking about ALL bought mince pies.

However, I don't make my own mince meat and, after a disastrous effort at making my own pudding (30 odd years ago) I have never attempted to make another.

I do "doctor" the bought products, mainly by adding some form of alcohol and/or cream.

I must add the reservation that I don't really have a sweet tooth and tend to give all such "treats" to OH who is, alas, no connoisseur[:)]

I don't mind bought mince meat. Like so many things I couldn't get, I made my own for donkey's years and played with it to get it just as I wanted, but I'm happy enough buying it now, something decent though.

I do my own xmas puds, farmhouse kitchen recipe which I don't play with, as it is just right for us. I also make these for friends too.

I started making most things we eat, after living with my boyfriend for just a few weeks and bought stuff was making him very ill. It wasn't as if I didn't know how to cook and bake. My parents had made us learn to cook meals and my mother started me baking pastry when I was about 7 years old, so that really is second nature to me.

As I have said before if I am out for a coffee, I love Café Nero's mince pies and a close second are Costa mince pies and Costas Lemon Tarts are very good too.

Fussy, well,  I must have certain standards and am disappointed when they are not met.

We buy so little in tins that we keep all our empty tins for cleaning paintbrushes etc.

However, I have been wondering about British taste ever since someone on this, or another similar forum, some years ago strongly recommended William Saurin products, particularly their Petit salé aux lentilles, followed by other contributors echoeing her enthusiasm.

I bought a few tins of various WS offerings to put in the Camper van for emergency use, but when we tried them we found them rather less delightful then expected.

I never have great expectations of full meals in cans. The only one I used to think was fine was the couscous with chicken, Couscous Garbit. We would always add a little extra to it, and others in the family liked merguez with it too, but I used to quite enjoy it when we were in a camper van or camping. We have certainly eaten worse in restaurants[:(]

A few weeks ago, Mrs Gluey and I attended a family wedding anniversary; their kids had arranged it.

Now Mrs GS and I rarely now eat out in the UK as the standard of food, service and ambience is utterly appalling. We much prefer to cook ourselves and, at least, know what we are eating.

The place selected was utterly heaving with people, all banging down such dreadful muck, I truly despair at the English palate!

All we selected was what was described as "Carrot and Coriander Soup, served with a a warm crusty roll".

It was simply a lukewarm mush, with oil floating on top, with a few suspect bits of green; the roll was soggy and stone cold.

However, naturally, it was served in a triangular white dish. £4.95.

I've eaten much better soup from a tin!

The tables were sticky; always a bad sign. The staff were amateurs. I tried some of my niece's dish, glowingly described as hot tapas and was simply small chips, running with fat, with a bit of tomato sauce glugged on the top.

Still, I suppose, if people exist on ready meals and takeaways, saturated in nasty fat, salt and zero flavour, then it's no wonder.

Mrs Gluey has already made her mincemeat, which is maturing nicely: she makes her mince pies using a Robert Carrier recipe, butter French patissiere's pastry and are absolutely melt in the mouth gorgeous.

We make all our own bread: and the latest enterprise (as our son kindly gave us a powerful mincer/sausage maker) are proper English bangers!

Pork we buy in la belle France: superior quality and an excellent price!

Gorge, plus Poitrine (Pork belly) and casserole cuts with loads of nice lean meat.

The first batch turned our rather well: now have to refine the recipe and hone in on the mix of spices. I even made the rusk!

Traditionally.

Over the years I have paid a lot and had mediocre and even bad meals in restos in France. Where are these cheap places with their good four course meals for 10€? I don't know, not where I used to live that is for sure. It was and still is really hard to go out and eat well.

Since I have been back in England I feel gatée. We have had some wonderful meals and so much cheaper than we would have paid in France. My son's french girlfriend was well impressed.

We could argue until the cows come home about meals and where, but I have to say I take badly to paying french prices now when the meal is not good.

Don't know about 10€ for a four course meal but we have a couple of favourite places here that charge 16€ for a three course lunch that includes an amuse bouche. I think it's trail and error so if you find something good you'll go back again.

Whilst the price and choice in the UK is better so many of the restaurants are chains serving bland uninspiring food.

[quote user="idun"]Over the years I have paid a lot and had mediocre and even bad meals in restos in France. Where are these cheap places with their good four course meals for 10€? I don't know, not where I used to live that is for sure. It was and still is really hard to go out and eat well.

Since I have been back in England I feel gatée. We have had some wonderful meals and so much cheaper than we would have paid in France. My son's french girlfriend was well impressed.

We could argue until the cows come home about meals and where, but I have to say I take badly to paying french prices now when the meal is not good.

[/quote]

Well, in the North, we must be spoiled. Our small  canton town, 15 minutes away, has a bar-restaurant; the bar is scruffy and not very prepossessing.

However at the rear is an excellent small restaurant run by Madame and her daughter. All fresh food and all well cooked. Excellent Plat de Jours and last time we went cost circa € 15 for two and since there were two diners, a demi-litre of vin de maison or a small pression, each, thrown in. And what's more every time we go Madame stamps our carte de fidelity for future freebies!

Along the coast is a superb fish restaurant built sur la plage. superb food and service and not expensive.

Another favourite is a family run restaurant 30 minutes away. Excellent menu, nice ambience, and again, not expensive.

There are over the top places: which one avoids.

"Food prepared by accountants"..

Remind me, or have I misremembered, but hasn't France recently felt compelled to pass legislation forcing restaurants to publish on their menus a disclosure about whether their food is actually freshly prepared or bought in as ready meals?

Not all that long ago, I took some fairly gourmand French friends to a Chef &Brewer because they wanted fish and chips, and I know of nowhere better locally for that. They were extremely impressed. And one of them had rabbit pie and was similarly happy with her choice.

The proliferation of ready meals in French supermarkets over the years must have something to do with the acceptance of salt laden sugary slop in some resto's,  I look for the Brake et al lorries delivering an try to avoid although Brakes do have their upmarket range which could be good.

I guess Gluey is sworn into secrecy of the name and exact location as when I pass through regions it would be great to know somewhere to stop for reliable food.  Could we start a forum list?  Fed up with motorway offerings and don't eat fast food.

[quote user="You can call me Betty"]"Food prepared by accountants"..

Remind me, or have I misremembered, but hasn't France recently felt compelled to pass legislation forcing restaurants to publish on their menus a disclosure about whether their food is actually freshly prepared or bought in as ready meals?

Not all that long ago, I took some fairly gourmand French friends to a Chef &Brewer because they wanted fish and chips, and I know of nowhere better locally for that. They were extremely impressed. And one of them had rabbit pie and was similarly happy with her choice.[/quote]

Ahh yes Betty one of the few things on the menu you can't cover up, like a slab of beef grilled but you don't often get a tough fish!  It could only be ruined if it was chopped and shaped.

The Green King chain (Hungry Horse) took the hadock of the menu and tried to pass off pangasius but the emails I sent together with many other people had that removed and hadock brought back, a small victory for the customer.  The fish is battered and fried so not much to go wrong and is excellent value but is that thanks to a bean counter or the procurement dept of said chains?

Anyone stupid enough to go to a bad restaurant, and there are plenty in both countries, deserves what they get.

I am surprised that with such depth of culinary magic at their fingertips any of the contributors even have experience outside their unsurpassable kitchen.

As for trying to use one example to prove the food quality of a nation? It does kind of prove why the Internet has become the refuge of the rationally challenged.

Yes but often you don't know if it is a bad restaurant until you have tried it then you have the choice to go/don't go back again

Yeah come on Gluey, share your secret gem with us (I know we are fairly close in Pas-de-Calais)

Have you been to La Fournil just outside Fruges? A bit more upmarket but I've had some splendid meals there

[quote user="JSKS"]Anyone stupid enough to go to a bad restaurant, and there are plenty in both countries, deserves what they get.

Sadly it is often too late but I have been known to leave after a starter

I am surprised that with such depth of culinary magic at their fingertips any of the contributors even have experience outside their unsurpassable kitchen. 

As many have to go to work then eating during the day becomes necessary.  Celebrations etc aside, I really like to out to eat to appreciate dishes I can't yet cook. If I can do better at home I stay at home and that is becoming more common, staying in is the new going out.

As for trying to use one example to prove the food quality of a nation? It does kind of prove why the Internet has become the refuge of the rationally challenged. 

I think even you may agree the time it would take to list all examples just to please you is asking too much.  P.S. when do you intend to leave the internet now you have reached such an exalted position [/quote]

There is also the curse of 'friends' to be taken into account. Because too many of the poor meals we have had have been recommended, or their children work there, or we have all gone together! And sometimes we have found poor places all on our own.

Years and years ago we had two good restaurants about 15kms from us, the food was good and consistent and not over priced. And then these chefs moved on to pastures new. The new owners were not up to scratch.

My son, a chef complained bitterly about taking his girlfriend for a birthday meal earlier this year as it was very expensive and rubbish. As she said, they'd have had several wonderful meals at home for the price they paid and they live in rather a bourgeois city.

We have had mediocre and bad meals all over France. The first time we went to Brittany we had great hopes of wonderful sea food meals. Night after night we tried various restos in different towns and villages. In the end, our eldest who subsequently became a chef suggested that we eat at our hotel. Unless we were some distance at meal time, we ate there every night after that. Just a chain, but a good choice and well cooked and far better than we had been offered elsewhere. 

Are there good restaurants in Brittany, I would suppose that there are, but holidaying in the old days, it really was pot luck and we did not have any.

For a country which prides itself on it's cuisine,in general I have been disappointed. I think thatthe best meals we have had have been in traditional savoisienne restaurants, but, as long as the product is good, then in general one cooks one's own meal anyway and those lovely and very simple salad composé that they serve in the mountains a great starter.

And I will add that I had a terrible meal in a restaurant we eat at regularly a couple of days ago. Husband's was fine, mine not, we didn't order the same thing. This happens and I accept that the chef can have an off day or is just not there. We will go back there, if I have another bad meal, then we won't go again.

And the comment about that awful soup, well last night it brought to mind some disgusting slop, we were served in Laon..... which served us right for eating there. It was called soupe du jour, but which day it had been for, I am not sure, or that it had ever had it's 'day'. We were heading north and hungry and that is where we ended up.

[quote user="Théière"]The proliferation of ready meals in French supermarkets over the years must have something to do with the acceptance of salt laden sugary slop in some resto's,  I look for the Brake et al lorries delivering an try to avoid although Brakes do have their upmarket range which could be good.

I guess Gluey is sworn into secrecy of the name and exact location as when I pass through regions it would be great to know somewhere to stop for reliable food.  Could we start a forum list?  Fed up with motorway offerings and don't eat fast food.

[/quote]

Just for you, T.

My review on Trip Adviser which I joined especially to excoriate this dump! Which is called Oceans beach at Southend-on-Sea. Had to be a might careful as the owner is a friend of my son!!! [;-)]

"Family gathering. My wife and I ordered just what was described as Carrot and Coriander Soup served with a warm crusty roll.

The

"Soup" was simply mashed up carrots of some type, served cold, with oil

swimming on top and a few bits of some green stuff posing as a garnish.

The "Warm Roll" was stone cold and could only really be described as a

rollette.

My niece sitting next to me ordered what was described

as "Tapas": now I know Southern Spain and tapas reasonably well. The

present trend of describing tricked up small dishes of food as "Warm

Tapas" is miss-description. For example, her dish was given some fancy

name and was simply the micro-chips they seemed to be serving with

everything else, with some tomato gloop blobbed on top. My son's what

was described as Spanish Casserole, with Chorizo. Again, gloop.

Still,

the place was heaving which rather goes to show the dire state of

British food and the palate of the average Brit, regularly dining on

greaseburgers, pretend pizzas and the rest of their average dietary

choices.

I've eaten much better food decanted from a tin and warmed over in the microwave! And it didn't cost me £4.95!!"

[quote user="Pierre ZFP"]

Yes but often you don't know if it is a bad restaurant until you have tried it then you have the choice to go/don't go back again

Yeah come on Gluey, share your secret gem with us (I know we are fairly close in Pas-de-Calais)

Have you been to La Fournil just outside Fruges? A bit more upmarket but I've had some splendid meals there

[/quote]

OK, Pierre will do.

The Cafe Centrale in Fruge is our "Local". Jacques who runs the bar is blind, but recognises you! His wife and daughter run the restaurant. It is excellent!

Once pitched up there on New Year's Day (before we bought the house) and were staying with friends and had gone off to La Coupel near St. Omar to see the rocket site; which despite advertised as open on their website, was bloody closed! And it was bucketing down.......

So what do you do? In France at midi?

East Lunch!

Thing was, being New Year's Day 'twas a special seven course meal for around  €30 each. Fantastic food! Place was understandably heaving.

Other picks: Relais de la Forge in Beaurainville; and the seafood restaurant sur la plage at Merlimont. One must book ere, though as it becomes awful busy at lunchtimes.

Many others, too: the fish restaurant at Etaples, which is owned by the local fisherman's coop is superb but more expensive.

A fabulous place at Groffliers coming out of Berk sur Mer.

Spoilt for choice, really.

[:D]

Edit:

To add to this the Estaminet de L'andodouiller at Douriez is well worth a visit.

Just down a bit from Argoule.

I was taken there by dear friends (sadly, he is no longer with us), when Mrs GS and I were house hunting circa 14 years ago.

I had shot over for one night and stayed with them as I had to go to the bank and sign various papers.

And it had just opened after a massive restoration. The owner's family has operated the place as a local estaminet and had, somehow, preserved the license. He had experienced huge problems with the historic building people and the project cost in excess of a quarter of a million Euros.

He owns the abattoir next door and it seems the beef walks in and is shortly after, on the table........

Great steaks!