Funeral Songs

idun

Apparently 'Always look on the bright side of life' is very popular and has over taken the french tune, 'My Way'.

I know what I would like at my funeral, have any of you considered what you think you would like to inflict on your friends and family in your absence?

There will be no funeral or mourners for me.

A family tradition. The body is collected and cremated.

I am in a good literary tradition

"that I be not bury'd in consecrated ground.

"& that no sexton be asked to toll the bell.

"& that nobody is wished to see my dead body.

"& that no murners walk behind me at my funeral.

"& that no flours be planted on my grave.

"& that no man remember me.

"To this I put my name.

"Michael Henchard"

If anyone wished to think of me I would suggest they listen to

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K0U4LdHncds&html5=1

And that NH is exactly what my Dad booked just after my mother died. All paid for, body collection and disposal. I'm under instructions to put it in the paper the following week.

I daresay he never thought he would last this long, as all their married life she used to say that she was going to have a high old time when he was dead and gone.......... and that was my mother for you. [blink]

I don't think that my husband could cope with such a plan, so if it is me that goes first, I want a quick and very simple thing at the crem, and if there has to be something organised, I'd rather like Fauré's Pavane and most definitely Chop Sticks by System of a Down, (the kids are already under instruction that I want that if nothing else) and if there is time Beethoven's Fur Elise. There are other pieces I love, but the Fauré and Beethoven are fairly short and IMO quite lovely.

What I do want though, as I do love my food AND most of my friends are rather fond of a drink, I'd like those that come to have good food and drink.

If I go last, then I'll have the same as my Dad, but those that come for the nosh up, well, at some point, System of a Down will blare out!

[quote user="idun"]Apparently 'Always look on the bright side of life' is very popular and has over taken the french tune, 'My Way'.

[/quote]

Sorry to be pedantic, Idun, however "My Way" was a song based on lyrics written by the Canadian Paul Anka and set to to the tune "Comme d'habitude" composed in 1967 by Claude François and Jacques Revaux. And, of course, made into a hit by Ol' Blue Eyes.

Covers include versions by Elvis Presley, Dorothy Squires and Sid Vicious, amongst others.

Here is the original 1967 version by Claude François.

And here is a young Mireille Mathieu, singing the same song, doing her impression of Piaf, over-trilling her r's etc........

(Mrs GS and I still adore Piaf: ambience of la belle France as it used to be).

Now now Gluestick, didn't I say 'french tune', not lyrics? [blink] As usual I could probably have said it a little better.[:(]

I don't like 'My Way', I don't like the lyrics in english or the tune, I don't mind the french lyrics though.

And I didn't say 'Comme d'habitude' as I didn't think that there would be many Cloclo fans on here.....although I may be wrong about that![Www]

Mmmm, have not specified anything about my funeral. As an atheist would not want anything religious. Hate to think of every one in black. Would like humour and then a good party after.

So yes, it would be OK with me, something by Alice Cooper, an excerpt from the Goons.

Dad - an atheist - died last year, aged 91. A straightforward (hard) working family man who made friends easily but did not want a lot of fuss. He had outlived most of his contemporaries but 150 people turned up at the crematorium all the same and they had to leave the doors open to accommodate everyone. A celebrant handled matters for us and was brilliant. We sang one of Dad's favourite songs - The Seekers "I'll never find another you" - mainly for Mum's benefit. They had been together for 70 years.

When arranging my MIL's funeral, we had her favourite hymns for the service, but I thought something just a bit different for leaving the crematorium was needed, something to lift the spirits.

She was a tea-totaller, and whenever anybody mentioned drinks, in whatever context, her reply would be 'a cup of tea, a nice weak one please'. So for the final music I found a very nice tea dance type of rendition of 'I like a nice cup of tea in the morning........'. Everybody left the crematorium with a smile, some with a laugh, as it was absolutely her to a T.

I would like 'The Lark Ascending' and 'Wonderful World'. I can't remember a time when I didn't know and love them both. I would love 'Wonderful World' sung by Roy Castle, but haven't been able to find a recording of it by him.

About 20 years ago we were at a concert by the excellent local Phoenix Choir, where he was the guest singer. This wasn't very long before he died and everyone knew how ill he was and expected him to cancel. But no, he honoured the booking, and 'Wonderful World was one of the songs he sang. I think the only dry eyes in the house were his.

A couple of years ago I accompanied my mam to the funeral of a gentleman who had been one of her bowling friends for many years. The crematorium was full of ladies and gentlemen most of whom were in their 80s and 90s. It was announced, '"We will now listen Bill's favourite song." Was it 'My Way'? 'What a wonderful world'? No it was Erasure's ' I love to hate you.' And nobody batted an eyelid!

My mam died this July just before her 92nd birthday. And her song? Perry Como's 'Catch a falling star'. Lovely.