Don't you just hate it when.......

Frederick

[quote user="Frederick"]Like yesterday having paid over £2 for a bottle of Listerine in a big UK nationwide chemists We then went into a 99p shop and found loads of the stuff twice the size ...

I think we might just be making a habit of looking in 99p shops now .......How do they do it ?[/quote]

Seems to be cancelled orders, change of sizes and quick management decisions [:)]

Have a read of this http://www.thisismoney.co.uk/money/bills/article-1705321/Revealed-Poundlands-secret-to-success.html

Yep, we visit Poundland it is like and when they have something we use regularly we buy a quantity of it so that it lasts until they have it again.

A few months ago there was a programme on TV about Poundland and they wanted to open a shop in Harrogate. They really had to fight to be able to open a shop amidst all the 'this is not the right place', 'we do not want the towns quality lowered' etc. So no one in Harrogate wanted it - the queues when it opened seemed to prove different.

Cheap shops, and one needs the time to do the rounds.

Recently I went into the pound shop for something and then the next shop I went into a store just opposite that often has good bargains had the same thing for 79p. As they say ........ look after the pennies and the pounds look after themselves.

A good friend recently retired said that she was going to start doing the rounds, but found that she was so used to doing a one shop stop that she was forgetting to buy many things, so was going back to her big supermarket and paying the price.

2 quid for a bottle of Listerine?

I'd go for it, closer to 5€ here in Luxembourg

Pound shops are OK but you have to be careful as they have many things repackaged just for them which are smaller and therefore not actually as good value as buying the full size product at a 'normal' supermarket and paying a little more.

They are apparently the UK's biggest retailer of domestic batteries (you know, AA and AAA size)

Yes the batteries are cheap but have you tried them? Less charge than a Bobby on a bike

Whats the price of the big one in Luxembourg then ?

My wife bought the small one at just over £2 pounds in Boots ..

The large one in the chemist was £4.60 and it was the large size we could have got for 99p ..so I am still spitting feathers over not going into the 99p shop first !

[quote user="Pierre ZFP"]

2 quid for a bottle of Listerine?

I'd go for it, closer to 5€ here in Luxembourg

Pound shops are OK but you have to be careful as they have many things repackaged just for them which are smaller and therefore not actually as good value as buying the full size product at a 'normal' supermarket and paying a little more.

They are apparently the UK's biggest retailer of domestic batteries (you know, AA and AAA size)

Yes the batteries are cheap but have you tried them? Less charge than a Bobby on a bike

[/quote]

Mrs GS loves her pound shops and stocks up a couple of times a month. The rechargeable NMH batteries seem fine. Goes on the bus, free; no probs with parking the car!

Toothpaste: Arm and Hammer bicarb as recommended by (as Australian Ockers call him), the Fang Carpenter!. 99P a full sized - 125 gramme -tube, as against £3+ in the majors. Large aerosol of De-Icer spray 99P: etc.

Just, as always, picking and choosing.

We have three or four in our UK town now: amongst a welter of overpriced struggling majors and either take aways or charity shops! And this is, allegedly, a reasonably prosperous place..........

[quote user="HoneySuckleDreams"]

But from today in Luxembourg diesel is now down to €1.07 a litre....cheaper than Listerine

[/quote]

HSD, wouldn't diesel taste a bit too strong on the tongue?

Edit: sorry, I meant to tell you that you might find Lidl's own dentalux brand is just as good as Listerine.  For best results, get the pink with alcohol one instead of the mint green sans alcohol.  AFAIR, it's about 79 centimes 

Well, it's only 3.60$ for a gallon (even if it is a short change Yanky gallon) in the good ol USA and only about 3000$ to get there to get a tank full!

Andora may well be cheap (5 centimes less a litre?? cheaper than staying in 208 country if you live there [8-)] ), but if you take a 600k round trip  for us to get it then it takes a bit of the shine off it me-thinks. So ours at about 1,17€/ltr will do me ta..

Super glue, the 3 little tubes for a quid, used to be a bargain. But don't forget to store yer s/glue in the fridge. It keeps a load longer if you do. Just don't put it in yer tea though. It makes for a hell of a mess, or so I'm told [:-))]