Air fryers

PaulT

There have in the past been some serious problems with these devices (they caught fire) which have probably been sorted out now. I would strongly recommend you have a look on Amazon (UK) not with the view of buying through them but to look at the reviews.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/s/ref=nb_sb_ss_i_1_4?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=air+fryer&sprefix=air+%2Caps%2C193

Thanks for that pointer, Quillan.

I was considering getting one of those, but as we have no diet problems, I now think we'll stick with our trusty Chinese made iron deep fat pan, bought in the far east in the mid - 70's, which goes on a gas ring [:D]

I use a deep fryer quite a bit. I buy the really cheap ones from Intermarche for about 30 Euros and when they fall apart, about every 2 years, I throw it away and buy another. The only reason I go for these type of fryers is for safety as they have a thermostat. I think you should buy one of these air fryers and tell us if it is any good, go on you know it makes sense then if it is no good I won't buy one. [;-)]

[quote user="PaulT"]Thanks Q - always amazes me how the reviewers vary from one star to 5 stars for the same product. Seems that they only cook chips. I was interested in how they cooked other food items.[/quote]

I know nothing about them but perhaps this is more to your liking and a lot cheaper.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Andrew-James-Premium-Replaceable-WARRANTY/dp/B002LYQF7A/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1422214811&sr=8-1&keywords=infrared+cooker

My Dad (aged 91 and living alone) has an air-fryer and swears by it.  Cooks chips (from frozen in packet) and - say - a pork chop or piece of chicken in 20 minutes. He even gets adventurous and puts half a peach on a pork chop in the fryer to make a sort of sauce.

Mrs H

I bought an air fryer (Tefal Actifry) from Argos about a couple of years ago. It was on offer - at half price. I had just moved house and in the process of downsizing had thrown away my deep fryer.

I cannot say that I use it all the time, but visitors do appear to like the chips it produces. I tend to use oven chips and don't add any oil to the pan. I also use it to make croutons on a semi-industrial scale! It came with a number of recipes - some of which I have tried and quite enjoyed.

My real problem with it is that it is rather heavy on electricity - using around 1200 watts for 25 - 30 minutes to fry chips. Also, ironically since I bought it in the process of downsizing, it takes up rather more space in my cupboard than did the deep fat fryer that it replaced.