Printing PDF files

mint

Thank you, Paul.  I have the file open and clicked the printer icon.  When nothing happened, I went to "file" and tried to print from there.  Still nothing.

I have now got out the old, clapped out computer to try there and, if still not working, then I think it might be the clapped out printer.

Thought I'd ask the question here in case I have missed something obvious[:-))]

Edit:  Thank you to you, too, HSD.  Printer well connected.  Will have another try then might send it to a friend and ask them to print it and give it to me tomorrow[I]

The easiest way to check the printer would be to print a test page. If that doesn't work it's either the connection or the printer?

Also, if your friend is going to do the print for you you could take your laptop, if that's what you have, and try it on their printer?

The normal problem, Mint, is the version of Acrobat Reader one uses!

If you look on the Acrobat User Forum then you will see it remains an unresolved problem!

In the office, we have to use pdf as a majority of commercial forms (HMRC particularly) are composed in pdf.

In desperation, I found reverting to Adobe Reader 9.5.5 solved the problem: immediately!

Try this, please and report.

Thanks for the suggestions, Jonz and Gluey.

I am laid up with the flu at the moment and I can't get out.  Strangely enough, I had problems with the printer getting jammed every second page before all of this so I guess that the paper could be a bit thick for the printer.

It's only a cheap old Epson and I had already thought of changing it.  When I am confident that I can go out without infecting people and feel too knackered walking around looking for thinner paper and possibly some new ink cartridges, I'll have a go at resolving this.

Meanwhile, I have obtained the forms through the kind services of friends.

Re- Gluestick's remarks, try forgetting Acrobat Reader altogether and download Foxit Reader - free, and much lighter than Adobe.

You never know...

Set it as your default application for PDFs when it asks et voilà.

I hope this helps you - and get well soon !

@+

Andrew 44

[quote user="mint"]Thanks for the suggestions, Jonz and Gluey.

I am laid up with the flu at the moment and I can't get out.  Strangely enough, I had problems with the printer getting jammed every second page before all of this so I guess that the paper could be a bit thick for the printer.

It's only a cheap old Epson and I had already thought of changing it.  When I am confident that I can go out without infecting people and feel too knackered walking around looking for thinner paper and possibly some new ink cartridges, I'll have a go at resolving this.

Meanwhile, I have obtained the forms through the kind services of friends.

[/quote]

Right, first off. For the flu, I always recomend 1/2 bottle of good Armagnac twice daily for three daze. It doesn't do owt for the flu, but you just don't care!![:-))]

Second, try this lot for yer paper and cartridges  http://www.7dayshop.com/inkjet-cartridges-paper-toner . They are cheep, good, supply to France and don't charge a fortune for doing so. Buying carts here in France is a total rip off IMHO!!

I hope that you are feeling better soon [kiss][kiss]

Whenever I print a PDF, I have to check the "destination" is set to my printer. When you click the print icon or print from the menu, it will pop up a window that lets you select colour, black and white, etc etc etc and there is a drop-down menu where the destination for the file is. Check your printer is the selected destination.

No matter what I set to default, every time I open a fresh PDF it has always reset this option to print to a file on the computer rather than the printer.

Doesnt happen with any other software.

Thank you Andrew44, Jonz and dave.

Yes, I've got Foxit reader and I will look at the "destination" and see how it goes.

Jonz, I've taken note of the place for cartridges, [kiss][kiss] back.

Incidentally, there doesn't seem that much choice out there if you want a multifunction (copy, print, scan) black and white machine.  Loadsa ones that do colour, photos, have wifi, print from iphones, etc etc.

I guess nobody wants these types of passé hardware anymore.  They'd better be finding more holes in the ground to bury the unwanted and unloved things, I guess.

In our house we have telephones that you can actually make phone calls on, cameras that take photos, but can't make phone calls on, printers that print, scanners that scan and will do photo copies with and if any one stops working, quel suprise!! All of the others still work!

Our relatively new printer is a goody and as several know, one of my hobbies is photography and just before christmas I took a couple of photos, well several stitched together, into our Mairie. The photos are of two murals painted several 100 years back on the walls of an upstairs room in the village chateau. Not a difficult job to print, but if I just had a printer that did b&w it wouldn't have been possible and no way with a jack of all jobbie.

[URL=http://s47.photobucket.com/user/Jonzjob/media/Johns/ChateauduMalves1reduced_zps3ad641fa.jpg.html][IMG]http://i47.photobucket.com/albums/f180/Jonzjob/Johns/ChateauduMalves1reduced_zps3ad641fa.jpg[/IMG][/URL]

[URL=http://s47.photobucket.com/user/Jonzjob/media/Johns/CateauduMalves2reduced_zpsc6bb43a6.jpg.html][IMG]http://i47.photobucket.com/albums/f180/Jonzjob/Johns/CateauduMalves2reduced_zpsc6bb43a6.jpg[/IMG][/URL]

The top one is just over a metre long, the other just a couple of feet long. The top one, the actual painting is about 5 metres long, the lower, about 3 The legend is that they were painted by a woman kept prisoner in a top floor room for a couple of years. What ever the truth is, they are beautiful

If you do go for a new printer and want a multi jobbie, then having the colour option isn't a bad idea at all. After all, not all of us want to be bruddie artistis init [:-))]

Jonz, thank you for with showing us the beautiful paintings.  Plus bravo to you for doing such a good job (after all, your name is Jonzjob?)with photographing them and putting them together.........VERY well done!

But, note, I am no woodworking, photographing, peniche-operating hand person like you, Jonz.

I am a technically challenged, only-use-'stuff'-when-necessary type and spend a lot of my time faffing about wondering how ANYTHING is done.  I am also too mean with the readies to throw it away and I can't remember when I last needed to print anything in colour.

I just need a simple printer that I can get along with, whose cartridges do not cost an arm and a leg, that will enable me to scan the odd birth certificate for some demanding tyrant like the sodding bank and that would be about the full extent of my very modest needs.   

We have an odd problem printing PDF files direct from the original .PDF in that it only prints the left hand side of the form. I get round this by saving the file on the computer, then printing it from the saved file. Not a big problem, but annoying if you forget.(W8.1 Pro, Adobe 11.0.10).

I think the only B/W printer you can buy would be a laser printer, which would not necessarily scan. Our needs are similar to Mints and an Epson printer scanner with after market cartridges is a very cheap option.

We seem to have collected various printers, but if something comes free with the computer, the reason appears to be that the ink is expensive and they aren't very good.

Our latest simple print-only printer (from Leboncoin - where else) is an Epson Stylus S22. The replacement cartridges are cheap and it doesn't dry out if nothing's printed for a few days.

After throwing away a perfectly good Epson that would not recognise refilled or even new cartridges I bought a HP deskjet all in one the same as my UK neighbours, cartridges dont last long but they are not the most expensive, you only replace the colour or the black and white one as need be but if I dont use it enough the ink dries in the cartridges which is also true of the replacements that I had awaiting the day so they were a complete waste of money.

When it ran out again a month ago I found that I could buy a new B&W laser printer for €25 delivered less than the cost of cartridges in France, but of course it doesnt scan.

I also always have printing problems, by the time I resolve them the printer goes mad printing off scores of files that had previously failed running out of ink in the process, my latest not working episode was after I had printed from my laptop in the UK using my neighbours identical printer (we bought them together) I had problems with his and hadnt realised that it downloaded the drivers a second time and showed his as another printer with exactly the same name, when I had problems back in France it kept on saying HP2200 not connected when mine clearly was as the computer beeped each time i plugged it in.

I got over the problem with a 190 mile long USB cable running through le tunnel and connected to my UK neighbours printer [Www]