Solar eclipse

confused of chalus

http://eclipse.gsfc.nasa.gov/SEgoogle/SEgoogle2001/SE2015Mar20Tgoogle.html

At best we'll see a partial in the UK.

We did go  to see the full eclipse in 1999, a sight I can still see if I close my eyes. Quite remarkable and a partial just would not do it for me. For anyone who hasn't seen one, it is the corona that makes a full eclipse so amazing, just  breathtaking, all goes darkish, the birds stop singing and there is a quiet. Doesn't last long, but worth seeing at least once in a lifetime.

I understand that it will be visible from the south of England, given a clear morning, and will be better the further north you are, as it's a total eclipse in Svalbard (Norway) and the Faroe Islands. In the London area it should begin at 08.25, be at its best at 09,31 and end at 10.41.

I too remember the eclipse of 1999 well and thought it amazing; we specially planned the end of our French trip to be in the north of France and drove to a motorway aire not far from Amiens, on the path of the eclipse, joining hundreds of others. Lorries were parked there for many hours as they weren't allowed on motorways for hours before and afterwards. We had folding chairs and a good bottle of whisky, and all around us were other families ready to enjoy and celebrate. The darkening was strange, and the silence too.

Especially as it will only be a partial eclipse in France, don't try to look at it directly at the sun if you value your eyesight. Either special darkened lenses or project an image and view that.

In 1999 friends travelled over from the UK specially to see the total eclipse. We took a couple of hours to drive further north to what appeared on a map to be a good spot, All we saw were clouds and one or two brief hazy views when the clouds were a bit thinner.....

[quote user="mogs"]Anyone know if it's possible to buy the special glasses in France, and if so where?

What's the best way to project an image? (I never was very good at science or physics).[/quote]

I will be use my welding glasses (Lunettes De Soudage) about 9€ from BricoDepot.

[quote user="mogs"]Anyone know if it's possible to buy the special glasses in France, and if so where?

What's the best way to project an image? (I never was very good at science or physics).[/quote]

At its simplest, just a piece of card with a small hole in it, held in one hand and a piece of white paper in the other hand to project the image onto.

During the partial eclipse mentioned earlier, in the north of England it was interesting to see that where the sunlight filtered through trees with leaves on them, the illuminated spots on the ground under the trees became crescent-shaped.