Clarkson suspended by BBC

Rabbie

• Replies 157
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The original BBC programme was interesting and useful for average consumers seeking information concerning cars they might probably consider buying.

A load over overgrown children suffering arrested development, trying to live out their mawkish fantasies, was utterly puerile.

However, the global popularity of this garbage masquerading as entertainment, is usefully indicative of the accelerating juvenility of adults.

Well I am sorry. The bloke is a dinasaur, knows it and takes all sorts of abuse from May and Hammond.

I enjoy the show, I really do. Lot funnier than most so called comedies that on tv.

I think that this is a pity.

I'm with Idun on this one.

There isn't much to laugh at on TV anymore but Clarkson on Top Gear was one thing worth tuning in for, at least only to laugh at him, rather than with him.

I guess it's like any TV programme, if you don't want to watch it, no one is forcing you to (apologise if you do have a slave meister that chaines you in front of BBC2 every Sunday evening). If you don't like it and don't watch it then it's not that much of an issue if it's not on is it ?  

I'm sure the Beeb can find something equally rubbish to put on it's place.

I was listening to Pam Ayres on Radio 4 this evening and she made me smile and laugh, gentle laughter, I find her funny.

Top Gear is belly laugh stuff, there is no side to it, it is what it is. And laugh at Clarkson, well, we do, because that is the way the show is produced, therefore, we are also laughing with him, because of all the things he is, he is clever and understands what he is up to.

I am going to write to the BBC, because, there is some terrible stuff on tv, that is called 'Comedy' and leaves me stoney faced and feeling completely cheated. I unashamedly like Top Gear.

It would appear that for the Beeb this problem is a very large one indeed.

It matters not the Top Gear attracts the largest audience on BBC2, its importance lies in the fact that it is sold to about 200 tv stations outside the UK and earns lots and lots and lots of money.

If the Beeb does decide to axe the show, then it is not acting in the licence payers interest. And it runs the risk that the three presenters go along to Sky and start up again as Flat Tyre or something. How would Lord Hall explain making a such a momentous decision - merely on moral grounds - to the Public Accounts Committee and Chief Dragon Margaret Hodge?

And you think JC doesn't fully know the position he holds, I bet Sky have already been on the phone.

There must have been provocation of some sort for a lash out and sadly there is so little news it's made it onto most papers front page yawn!

This handbags at dawn over a few non-existant sandwiches is hilarious and exactly what the Clarkson machine thrives upon.....PUBLICITY!!

For anyone in any doubt you should read his articles in the Sunday Times every week. Clarkson's equity involvement in the Top Gear brand ended in 2012 when he and the show's producer, Andy Wilman, sold their 50% holding to the BBC.

It's already being rumoured that ITV are looking to make a 10 million pound offer and if that happens it's likely that SKy will top that.

Clarkson's rates for after dinner speaking must be soaring already.

Silly Aunty.

Perhaps the BBC could replace Top Gear with something using a more ethnically suited mix of presenters, where the theme is something along the lines of Benefits Motoring, to include fake licence making, car theft, bald tyre cutting, faking insurance claims, Health and Safety aspects of car burning ... etc. More suggestions welcomed.

[quote user="woolybanana"]Perhaps the BBC could replace Top Gear with something using a more ethnically suited mix of presenters, where the theme is something along the lines of Benefits Motoring, to include fake licence making, car theft, bald tyre cutting, faking insurance claims, Health and Safety aspects of car burning ... etc. More suggestions welcomed.[/quote]

Chanel 5 have tried that with 5th gear, a bit tedious to say the least with Tiff and VBH  are the real skill and a couple of dosy wanna bees doing the rest.

IF they leave the Beeb, then it cannot be the same, cannot imagine that the car companies who advertise with the commerical channels being happy about the comments on some of their cars.

Just could not work elsewhere, in my opinion.

Never been interested in top gear with or without Clarkson. I used to watch it with OH and a few years ago it was marginally interesting and quite funny in places. Now even OH won't watch it, as it churns out the same formula of tired old jokes, banter and very little content. Jeremy Clarkson will probably go the same way as many other presenters who have jumped ship, never heard of again on terrestrial TV tuner until they are compelled to come back to do celebrity big brother. Mind you shouldn't think Clarkson is that worried as he has no need to work again.

His suspension is nothing to do with the quality of the programme though is it ? It's not even to do with being politically correct. I've never worked anywhere where it would be acceptable to punch someone. Does his fame and popularity really mean he can strike a colleague with impunity ?

Some like him, some loathe him but Chris Evans is a petrol head and a presenter. JC and clan can be replaced and it might be nice to get back to a motoring programme and enable two small ego trips and one huge one.

Remember when Top Gear had the likes of Tiff Neddell et al and surprise, surprise it was about motoring.

So here we are Top Gear 2. Presenters, Chris Evans, Edd China, Mike Brewer with a guest presenter for each episode.

[quote user="Hoddy"]His suspension is nothing to do with the quality of the programme though is it ? It's not even to do with being politically correct. I've never worked anywhere where it would be acceptable to punch someone. Does his fame and popularity really mean he can strike a colleague with impunity ?[/quote]

For me, you have hit the nail on the head, Hoddy.

Resorting to fisticuffs to resolve differences is no more than playground behaviour, and bad playground behaviour at that.

Why is he the only one suspended ? Was he provoked in anyway ? Is the guy he is acused of giving a slap suspended ...appears not . Seems to me they have made up their mind he is the only one to be investigated over the incident so in their minds guilty . I have worked where guys have come to blows . It was usually kept away from the boss and if the guy Clarkson slapped had turned and put him on the deck there is a good chance today we would not be reading about it And like I have seen where guys have come to blows . They would end up having a pint together and putting their grievences to bed .

[quote user="Hoddy"]His suspension is nothing to do with the quality of the programme though is it ? It's not even to do with being politically correct. I've never worked anywhere where it would be acceptable to punch someone. Does his fame and popularity really mean he can strike a colleague with impunity ?[/quote]

I would hazard a guess, then, Hoddy, you have never been a professional football player! [:D]

Since it seems, biting, kicking, punching, spitting, head butting, kneeing, are quite acceptable!

[Www]