There's a Star Man waiting in the Sky

Théière

Strangely when I was out to lunch yesterday I said that I did not like Bowie's 'voice' or Cilla's. Just not to my taste.

Did like lots of his songs though, I would just have prefered others singing them.

And even though I wasn't a fan, Let's Dance was a cracking song to ski to, when doing short swing turns on good snow!

Best wishes to Mrs T. I am still going strong 9 years after my first diagnosis so I hope the same for her.

I have never got any where near understanding what he was supposed to have achieved and an article in the Independent today supposedly explaining how he had changed music said absolutely nothing about music; this is unfortunately all too typical of this sort of journalism

http://www.independent.co.uk/arts-entertainment/music/news/david-bowie-dead-7-ways-the-starman-changed-music-forever-a6805451.html

His was the music of my youth, I saw him live once and it was magical. I guess from the above that he wasn't to everyone's taste, but when I remember some of the more important, enjoyable and personally joyous moments of my life, his music was the soundtrack.

Judging by the response elsewhere, I'm glad to learn that I'm not alone.

If I'd come here first, I would have been shocked.

I think he was an "original", not sure about "genius" as some have said elsewhere. He wrote some beautiful melodies.

Our eldest son was about 14-15 when Bowie was in his hermophradite phase, and I remember being rather worried when son idolised him. [;-)] Son is now a father though TG.

Thière - sorry to hear about your wife - I hope she gets good treament and returns to full health soon.

The best and worst of musical instruments.......... the human voice!

NH, I remember when I first heard Bowie and he disturbed and amazed me, initially the andogynous look and the music itself. So he had an effect on me, I just do not like the timbre of his voice.

Thank you for your thoughts Peirre ZFP, Norman & Patf. good news is that it's been spotted early by a keen eyed scanner operator (do get scanned regularly, it can save your life!)

Surgery booked for Jan 20.

I thought it was a sad weekend as we also lost Ed "Stewpot" Stewart another face I grew up with (Crakerjack) and heard on Radio 1.

I quite liked some of Bowie's music but he was never someone I actively followed. I was sorry to hear of his death from cancer, as I am for anyone.

However, the media is, IMO, overdoing the coverage and hyperbole...

On last nights BBC TV News the first 15 minutes of the 30 minute programme were all about Bowie. Out of all proportion (again, IMO). 

• 1 month later...
I have to say I was not that impressed with Lady Gaga's tribute to Bowie at the Grammys. The whole thing seemed rushed and like she was trying to fit too many songs into too short  space of time. I also wish she had just sung Bowie's songs as Lady Gaga, rather than trying to impersonate him...

• 3 months later...
Was it really 5 years ago, boy is time accelerating with each passing moment. Back then I was suffering cancer but that's all behind me now.  Only thing was Wife diagnosed with breast cancer at Christmas and fortunately the great team at Guy's hospital and the ground breaking silicon valley team she too is well on the mend having needed no chemo, all in all things are good, no actually great.

Reg popped by a while back but don't hear much from her, remember those evenings of playing favorite tracks?

Very nice to see another old face from the past pop in.

T, you're right about the swift passage of time.

Sorry to hear about Mrs T and very pleased to hear how well she's been doing. I had my second bout 2 years ago,and like her team, mine at the Royal Berks was great too. We're very lucky to have such care, despite British health care getting a lot of bad publicity.