EDF and direct debit

We just got our first EDF bill. How does one set a service access so we can get a first time payment made?  We tried set up an account and it says it has no bill reference, then when you go in to establish a service access, it allows us to put in the reference number and amount of the bill. EDF says they can find the bill but .. that's as far as we can get. It doesn't allow us to open a service access account.

So how do we set up an account whereby EDF can direct debit our bank account? Any info would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!

Ruth

Have you tried the French language route via Particulaers and Regler ?

For our new house I simply feed in the address meter reading, previous owners address and evetually meter number and then simply feed in my French Bank details. Much to my amazement it worked quickly enough for the first bill to be paid by prelevement. Unfortunately I cannot remember how I did it except that it was no hassle at all. Best of luck anyway. 

Hi Anton, Yes we tried that. Our realtor was the one who got the electric turned on for us but alas, we don't know what the meter reading was before she did that. EDF recognizes that, yes, we have a bill but getting it to accept our bank info seems to be the problem. Thanks anyway.

[quote user="Gardener"]http://bleuciel.edf.com/ael-premiere-connexion-47816.html

if you put either your reference client or numero client in, it should lead you through the process.[/quote]

HI Gardener-- Thanks. We did that but the process only goes so far and then stops. Alas. :(

[quote user="misplacedperson"]Or ring them up. I did this for a friend with an apartment in 2Alpes, was expecting to spend hours on hold and dealing with overseas call centre monkeys, but they were very helpful and the whole thing took about 10 minutes.

[/quote]

Hi misplacedperson-- We may have to. I hope there is someone who can speak English somewhat since our French is not the best. Thanks!

[quote user="Rdupre"][quote user="misplacedperson"]Or ring them up. I did this for a friend with an apartment in 2Alpes, was expecting to spend hours on hold and dealing with overseas call centre monkeys, but they were very helpful and the whole thing took about 10 minutes.
[/quote]

Hi misplacedperson-- We may have to. I hope there is someone who can speak English somewhat since our French is not the best. Thanks!
[/quote]

EDF has an English language telephone service, sorry do not know the number off hand. Do not know if they also speak American [:D]

Paul