So, what else does Brexit mean?

mint

Grecian, your post made me smile[:)]

Lunatics one can deal with but perfectly sane people pretending to be lunatics amount to something quite scary!

Here is another meaning of Brexit for you to ponder over, now that you are back in the swing of things.............encouraging smile.........

[url]https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2016/oct/09/amber-rudd-hate-foreigners-foreign-workers-companies-racist[/url]

I don't recognise what you are saying wooly. What will it all end up being, no idea, but your thinking we are all stewing in some huge marmite, thinking dark and evil thoughts is not 'my' life or that of those I know.

I suspect journalists have nothing better to do than fire up such stories.

Interesting, Norman, but really nothing new.  Everybody knew these things before the referendum.

I think the government is aiming for a hard brexit because they lack the know-how for us to exit in an orderly fashion and keeping as many advantages as possible.

They are worried about not brexiting in quick order because they will be accused of dragging their feet and not paying heed to the "will of the people".

It will all be a shambles, how can it not be?

That's a bit tongue-in-cheek but hard-hitting enough to give an insight into how things really are.

I heard a Tory say recently that it was astonishing for a government to say that the economy is not as important as controlling immigration.

Since he put it like that, I thought what kind of weird and naive politics is that?

I think Patf summed it up on (I think) another thread, it's as well to bury your head in the sand.  Except it's feeling like a car crash in slow motion............

Yes, Nimt, as I have been screaming from the housetops, it is, as you say, a slow motion car crash; investment is steadily slowing down, job losses being planned, not just a few here and there, but many, many. And the pound falling off a cliff is gonna cause inflation as imported goods gets more expensive, including what we need to reexport. Plus our companies which create the jobs and prosperity could be taken over by foreign capital, leading to the loss of pensions and worse working conditions.

As job losses increase, the "Trump voters" who backed Brexit will most likely turn nasty and incidents against foreigners will increase.

Just because they don't like foreigners who are the only ones prepared to work hard and increase the standard of living all round ( and who have foreign habits what we down the pub dont like so lets get rid of them, even if we wont do a days work).

Which is why Parliament must have a substantial say in mitigating this utter disaster, even if the blind fanatics wont let them.

Cry the beloved country when your soul is bleeding from wounds caused by hyenas

Have spent a large part of the afternoon, listening to the parliamentary debate broadcast live.

I have been pleasantly surprised by the quality of the debate.  Some MPs that I hadn't thought much of in the past (yes, mostly Tory [:$] but indeed also Labour) spoke passionately and fairly on a range of issues.  They were mostly eloquent (those that I could understand!)

Some Scottish SNP and Northern Ireland members were also excellent.

Reminder to myself, listen and attend first before judging anyone[I]

Well Norman, it is a good job that one party in parliament has a grasp as to to what is going on, and it trying to lay out a plan to ensure some sort of smooth Brexit. It is very clear now that the tories haven't got a clue how to steer the UK out of the EU, all the hard right-wing leavers are all too busy strutting around and being smug that they have 'won'. Whilst the pound keeps crashing against the dollar, and all other major currencies, banks are threatening and in some cases laying out their plans to exit the UK in early 2017, whilst Ms May is under some illusion that she has this massive mandate to do as to how she feels. Whilst her popularity is riding high at the moment, I feel that Ms May is heading for a very big fall in 6 to 12 months time, when the penny finally drops with the average Sun reader that the economy is heading for a really big crash.

May is continuing her nasty party rhetoric, with her 'name and shame' policy which is now not a policy, that was a quick U-turn Ms May, her health secretary demonizing foreign doctors and nurses, saying you will not be welcomed once we have trained up are our supremely white British doctors, Fox boasting that us British and EU migrants are a major bargaining chips in the forthcoming negotiations, ghastly little man.

Now we have her right-wing press stooping even lower than I thought possible, and to be honest I find it really scary what is happening in Britain now. If you don't accept the decision of the referendum they are basically saying that you are a traitor.

http://www.independent.co.uk/voices/daily-mail-brexit-daily-express-the-sun-tabloids-language-political-intolerance-traitors-a7357591.html

"Brexit will mean what the EU decides it means"

Of course, you don't have to believe that but, nonetheless, you might like to look at some of the reasoning behind that quote.

[url]https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2016/oct/12/britain-brexit-eu-pound-euro[/url]

• 2 weeks later...
It also means the government has to divert people's attention away from Brexit to the third Heathrow runway.

May, for all her talk, seems to me to have little clue about how to get Brexit up and running so she is now saying that Britain is "open for business around the world"with the expansion of Heathrow and that she is perfectly capable of "making the big decisions".

Talk the talk but not able to walk the walk comes to mind.

"supremely white British doctors"

I know this is trivial compared to most of the discussion here but I feel I have to point out that not all British doctors are white.

Only last week I walked into the doctors to be greeted by a cheery, "Hello, Miss," from a former pupil who is not supremely white, but is British born and British educated.

[quote user="Hoddy"]"supremely white British doctors"

I know this is trivial compared to most of the discussion here but I feel I have to point out that not all British doctors are white.

Only last week I walked into the doctors to be greeted by a cheery, "Hello, Miss," from a former pupil who is not supremely white, but is British born and British educated.[/quote]

I don't take this as a trivial matter either, Hoddy.

The core immigration problem has been mainly exacerbated by Blair and his coterie of "gypsies, rogues and thieves" in deciding upon a covert social engineering project (Whistle-Blown by Andrew Neather - one of the planners) to decimate the right wing vote for all time, by "Rubbing the Right's face in diversity!"; and not just allowing but encouraging immigration from Third World nations, of people who were unqualified, ill-educated and spoke no or little English.

The Prince of Darkness, AKA the oleaginous weasel Mandelson, freely admitted, post even, the NuLab government had been actively trawling and canvassing the third world for immigrants!

See Here:

See here:

The influx of Eastern EU migrants has simply added fuel to the fire.

My last two GPs before my present Doc were both Indian; and the original GP was our family doctor for thirty years and the very best in terms of skill, knowledge and gentle caring concern.

Perhaps the pièce de résistance was Gordon Brown's statement, reference building the Olympic village in Stratford, East London, "British jobs for British workers!", when it was later revealed circa 90% of these "British" workers were Eastern Europeans!

Manna from heaven for the fire of the Far Right loonies.

[quote user="mint"]It also means the government has to divert people's attention away from Brexit to the third Heathrow runway.[/quote]

I think you will find you have that arrse about face.

Brexit actually diverted Cameron's attention away from what was expected to be the approval of the £17.6bn Heathrow expansion in July, with the announcement followed by a Commons vote.

Given that the expansion was first publicly announced in 2006, and the UK has had 4 prime ministers in that time, I would say Theresa May has achieved a stellar performance in 3 months which Blair,Brown and Cameron failed to achieve in 9 3/4 years

regards

cajal